E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Swishing noise from engine. CAN ANYONE ADVISE?

09-16-2017, 11:52 AM   #1
CCC19xx
Rep
Drives: 320d m sport lemans e90

Swishing noise from engine. CAN ANYONE ADVISE?

Hi! I have a swishing noise coming from the engine. Could anyone advise what it could be? I have had an oil change yesterday thought that might be the cause but noise is still there. Usually there when car hasn't been running for more than a few minutes. Its a swish swish noise
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 04:50 PM   #2
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: E91 330d XDrive LCI M Pack

Give it back to the mechanic. Oil spilled on and contaminated the belts?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 04:58 PM   #3
CCC19xx
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChawenHalo View Post
Give it back to the mechanic. Oil spilled on and contaminated the belts?
It was making the noise before the oil change as well so I don't think thats the problem. Thats why I had the oil changed thought it was related.

Im just worried its leading to something major and was hoping to prevent it in good time.

Thanks for the suggestion! Any other would be much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 07:28 PM   #4
maxoutput
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 2005

Belt jockey wheel? Alternator pulley?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 06:08 AM   #5
CCC19xx
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxoutput View Post
Belt jockey wheel? Alternator pulley?
Thanks! Ill get my friend to have a look at these. Thing is ive heard of the timing chain problem but i dont want to spend £1500 on that and then find out it wasnt that so thanks for the suggestions
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 06:11 AM   #6
maxoutput
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 2005

Timing chains generally make a metallic chattering/clattering sound and if they eventually jump the engine will misfire or won't start . Your issue sounds like something totally unrelated and more in tune with something going on with the auxiliary belt as mentioned .
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 06:18 AM   #7
CCC19xx
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxoutput View Post
Timing chains generally make a metallic chattering/clattering sound and if they eventually jump the engine will misfire or won't start . Your issue sounds like something totally unrelated and more in tune with something going on with the auxiliary belt as mentioned .
Thanks man! Ill come back and post an update once my friend has looked at these ? much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 04:59 PM   #8
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep

Yeah swish swish noises are normally accessories belts and pulleys etc. £300 job at worse.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 05:25 PM   #9
CCC19xx
Rep

Quote:
Yeah swish swish noises are normally accessories belts and pulleys etc. £300 job at worse.
Only problem Im having is my car is being a prick and it stops making the noise when I get anywhere near close to my mechanic friend so I need to time it really well because it doesnt do it on start up only after driving for a few minutes and then once car is warm noise goes away. This is why I am late with an update will post back as soon as I know what is happening thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 05:34 PM   #10
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 07 335xi Sedan

Check filter. I had this problem when i used one from advanced auto. Only use bmw or mann filters
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 05:42 PM   #11
CCC19xx
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac0908 View Post
Check filter. I had this problem when i used one from advanced auto. Only use bmw or mann filters
Thanks! He changed oil filter and air filter when he changed the oil so thats done. It was still making the noise 2 days in didnt really hear it today tbh didnt really listen either been raining all day
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 09:29 PM   #12
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 07 335xi Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCC19xx View Post
Thanks! He changed oil filter and air filter when he changed the oil so thats done. It was still making the noise 2 days in didnt really hear it today tbh didnt really listen either been raining all day
Did he use a bmw or mann filter? Or did he use another brand?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 03:15 AM   #13
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Never heard of an air filter causing swishing sounds. Genuine BMW, Mann or Meyle filters are all pretty much of a muchness and shouldn't give any issue.

If the swish swish sound is coming from the back of the engine it 'could' be the timing chain guides. What year is your car?

More likely is that it's coming from the aux belt. I recently had the TVD (crank pulley) bust on me. Got the pulley replaced but the garage put the belt on inside out, I was 500 miles from home and didn't realise until I got back. I put the belt on properly but it was making this horrible whistling sound, a new belt didn't cure the noise either.

I replaced the tensioner and 2 deflection pulleys and that alleviated most of the sound. The crank pulley still squeaks a little bit, most noticeable when turning off the engine.

My car had done 185,000 miles and the aux belt had never been changed. I can supply pictures if required.

HTH
      09-19-2017, 04:59 AM   #14
CCC19xx
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac0908 View Post
Quote:
Did he use a bmw or mann filter? Or did he use another brand?
I will have a look later on the receipt as Im not sure
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 05:01 AM   #15
CCC19xx
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbosh View Post
Never heard of an air filter causing swishing sounds. Genuine BMW, Mann or Meyle filters are all pretty much of a muchness and shouldn't give any issue.

If the swish swish sound is coming from the back of the engine it 'could' be the timing chain guides. What year is your car?

More likely is that it's coming from the aux belt. I recently had the TVD (crank pulley) bust on me. Got the pulley replaced but the garage put the belt on inside out, I was 500 miles from home and didn't realise until I got back. I put the belt on properly but it was making this horrible whistling sound, a new belt didn't cure the noise either.

I replaced the tensioner and 2 deflection pulleys and that alleviated most of the sound. The crank pulley still squeaks a little bit, most noticeable when turning off the engine.

My car had done 185,000 miles and the aux belt had never been changed. I can supply pictures if required.

HTH
Thanks! Its a 320d e90 2009. The noise is not really a whistle as much as a swish dont really know what to compare it to. I have a video but i cant upload it on here
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 04:21 PM   #16
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I say whistling it was more of a squealing sound. More importantly have you determined where on the engine the sound is coming from?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 04:30 PM   #17
John320d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d E93

This actually happened to me. I had a new battery fitted 3 months ago which deleted some of the memories. This morning I put the key fob, in but before starting the engine I heard the swish--swish. Sounded very expensive. I could not hear it under the bonnet but quite loud in the cabin. I traced it to the door speakers. I turned the radio off and it stopped. It was static, the stations were no longer tuned in. I must have accidently pressed the radio on button. Talk about relief. lol
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 05:50 PM   #18
CCC19xx
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbosh View Post
I say whistling it was more of a squealing sound. More importantly have you determined where on the engine the sound is coming from?
I have tried but with no luck it sounds like its coming from the engine lol but cant narrow it down as noise is mixed with the engine noise and gets lost
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 05:52 PM   #19
CCC19xx
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John320d View Post
This actually happened to me. I had a new battery fitted 3 months ago which deleted some of the memories. This morning I put the key fob, in but before starting the engine I heard the swish--swish. Sounded very expensive. I could not hear it under the bonnet but quite loud in the cabin. I traced it to the door speakers. I turned the radio off and it stopped. It was static, the stations were no longer tuned in. I must have accidently pressed the radio on button. Talk about relief. lol
Thanks for the suggestion. It is definitely not the speakers as i usually turn them off to listen
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 10:28 AM   #20
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep

Quote:
Only problem Im having is my car is being a prick and it stops making the noise when I get anywhere near close to my mechanic friend so I need to time it really well because it doesnt do it on start up only after driving for a few minutes and then once car is warm noise goes away. This is why I am late with an update will post back as soon as I know what is happening thanks guys!
They all do that. IN France they call "fear of the mechanic" and I've seen it. Once I had a fab B&O in an A8 and one of the frigging tweeters would not go back just as I was about to sell it. Went to a mates Porsche garage and had he barely plugged in the diagnosis machine the thin gy went back in straight away! Little blighter cars. I think its because they have "character"...

Try blowing some brake cleaner or degreaser spray on the belts (use a nozzle/ plastic pipe thingy) on the inside and outside of the belts when engine running (watch fingers and don't spray in the alternator directly it flammable). It will get rid of any contaminants on the belts and pulleys.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 10:32 AM   #21
CCC19xx
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
They all do that. IN France they call "fear of the mechanic" and I've seen it. Once I had a fab B&O in an A8 and one of the frigging tweeters would not go back just as I was about to sell it. Went to a mates Porsche garage and had he barely plugged in the diagnosis machine the thin gy went back in straight away! Little blighter cars. I think its because they have "character"...

Try blowing some brake cleaner or degreaser spray on the belts (use a nozzle/ plastic pipe thingy) on the inside and outside of the belts when engine running (watch fingers and don't spray in the alternator directly it flammable). It will get rid of any contaminants on the belts and pulleys.
Lol thanks that sounds about right. Tried today aswell. Left my house (no noise). Half way there (3 min drive ( noise really loud). I get there and as if nothing is wrong. Im pretty sure my friend thinks im an idiot lol hes coming to mine tomorrow and ill take him for a drive. Ill tell him about your suggestions though hopefully they come in handy
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 11:04 AM   #22
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep

record it on your phone.
Appreciate 0