E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Used/Salvage N54 Motor Swaps - yay or nay

12-11-2018, 11:19 AM   #45
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorB View Post
I'm even doing rod bearings, new stage ones built by me
Please tell more.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 08:14 AM   #46
channelplus
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335

used engine comp test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceball777 View Post
You question is quite silly. I have done lots of engine swaps in my time. And people with all types of cars do engine swaps all the time. And 90% of all engine swaps are people sourcing a used engine for eith an engine imported or from a crashed car from a salvaged yard. And yes there’s is always a risk of a bad engine because you have no idea if the used engine is any good. Most salve yards can perform a compression test and this will significantly lower your chances of swapping in a bad engine.

Also there is no special bmw tools needed to swap an n54. Just a normally engine hoist /cherry picker. It’s no different from swapping any other engine from out of the hood. Certain cars like 911 and gtr’s you must used a life because the engine must be taken out from the bottom. But this is not the case with an n54. Anyone with basic knowledge that has done a swap before can do this in there home garage.

Also n54 bmws are extremely common and is gett8ng quite old. N54 motors are quite easy to source. They go for around 2-3 thousand all day long.

Hi guys, I'm going to buy a used N52 ( or similar ) engine from the salvage yard. i checked out 4 engines all out of cars The sellers offered 6 months warranty also and they said removed from running cars. tried to crank it on the ground to check the compression test. i was wondering in all the 4 engines one or two cylinders had good 150 PSI or over but 4-5 cylinders 30-50PSI. i tried to change their Valvetronic position by hand, the result was the same compression. wondering if the problem is because no enough oil to support the Venus or it's for Valvetronic or its engine problem? i also tried some oil inside the cylinders, got a better result but still not sure venus/ Valvetronic are related to low compression on just some cylinders. Thanks.
Appreciate 0