E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > least painful turbo options to eliminate wastegate rattle forever?

11-10-2018, 03:12 PM   #45
pjr710
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknic90 View Post
Been following this thread and I am in the same boat, about 120k and wondering if it's worth it at this point. Maybe someone in our shoes with higher mileage and ST can chime in.
hey dude i'm not sure if i'll do it ..

but i wanted to mention that my next oil change i'm going to send a sample to https://www.blackstone-labs.com ... i think that will give me a good indicator of my engines health

i think i just fixed 30ff .. so i'm goin to wait until i really get sick of whatever i can do to it now.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 10:58 PM   #46
addictedtoboost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjr710 View Post
hey dude i'm not sure if i'll do it ..

but i wanted to mention that my next oil change i'm going to send a sample to https://www.blackstone-labs.com ... i think that will give me a good indicator of my engines health

i think i just fixed 30ff .. so i'm goin to wait until i really get sick of whatever i can do to it now.

I will be also sending an oil sample to Black Stone Labs as well. I have close to 160k on my 08 335xi. I change my oil usually every 3-4k. I'm very curious to see what the lab results will be. I will upload the results soon as I receive them. I'm sure I can probably go longer intervals between oil changes but why bother?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 07:12 AM   #47
pjr710
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtoboost View Post
I will be also sending an oil sample to Black Stone Labs as well. I have close to 160k on my 08 335xi. I change my oil usually every 3-4k. I'm very curious to see what the lab results will be. I will upload the results soon as I receive them. I'm sure I can probably go longer intervals between oil changes but why bother?

Yea i change every 5k and I’m all highway.

I love hearing about high mileage n54s i bet yours still feels good as new!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 12:35 PM   #48
addictedtoboost
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yea i change every 5k and I’m all highway.

I love hearing about high mileage n54s i bet yours still feels good as new!
I drive both city/highway primarily. The car runs like a champ. I ran a 12.1 second 1/4 mile time couple months ago. I'm pretty sure I could of probably got a 11.9 since I was braking a bit too early towards the end of the strip.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 12:47 PM   #49
Austins
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 335i

Garage List
I'm currently sitting at 155 k kms and she still goes like a rocket! Wouldn't mind doing the oil sample test somewhere here in aus too
Cost a pretty penny to get her up to scratch haha
Got two brand new stock turbos installed (wish I went single) and a month later they rattle already on cold start, accelerating between 1.5-2.5k rpm or on up shifting/decel... gonna take it back to the shop haha

Last edited by Austins; 11-11-2018 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 03:56 PM   #50
pjr710
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I drive both city/highway primarily. The car runs like a champ. I ran a 12.1 second 1/4 mile time couple months ago. I'm pretty sure I could of probably got a 11.9 since I was braking a bit too early towards the end of the strip.
that's killer .. what is your set up?

I daily drive mine to work like a lot of miles so i'm trying to find a good reliable balance
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 11:46 PM   #51
addictedtoboost
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
that's killer .. what is your set up?

I daily drive mine to work like a lot of miles so i'm trying to find a good reliable balance
Currently I have drop in K&N filter, 7" On3Performance FMIC, VSRF Catless downpipes, Stage 2 LPFP (Walbero 450), Turbo XS Charge Pipe, Deleted seocndary cats replaced with pair of Vibrant 1792 resenators, RFL BOV, MHD Stage 2+ OTS E40 map, XHP Stage 2 transmission flash. Recent maintenance includes chanigng differential fluid,New Index 12 fuel injectors, Walnut blasting and set of Delphi coils/M4 spark plugs. My R/T was the best ever on that run. I hope it will only get better from here on out. I can't wait until next season once all the snow melts and winter is over and the track reopens for the season! If there's anybody in the Midwest Chicagoland/Wisconsin area that would want to meet up when the season opens I'm down to go as long as the weather is good!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 03:00 AM   #52
MJ80.
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i DCT Individual

That trap speed is so low for e40. I trap 119 on the e50 map with less mods.

Im pretty sure i trapped 108 or 109 stage 1 on pump.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2018, 09:49 AM   #53
addictedtoboost
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ80. View Post
That trap speed is so low for e40. I trap 119 on the e50 map with less mods.

Im pretty sure i trapped 108 or 109 stage 1 on pump.
Yes as I stated in my previous post I ended up braking a bit too early towards the end of the track so my trap speed is a bit on the low side.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 10:25 AM   #54
pjr710
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Currently I have drop in K&N filter, 7" On3Performance FMIC, VSRF Catless downpipes, Stage 2 LPFP (Walbero 450), Turbo XS Charge Pipe, Deleted seocndary cats replaced with pair of Vibrant 1792 resenators, RFL BOV, MHD Stage 2+ OTS E40 map, XHP Stage 2 transmission flash. Recent maintenance includes chanigng differential fluid,New Index 12 fuel injectors, Walnut blasting and set of Delphi coils/M4 spark plugs. My R/T was the best ever on that run. I hope it will only get better from here on out. I can't wait until next season once all the snow melts and winter is over and the track reopens for the season! If there's anybody in the Midwest Chicagoland/Wisconsin area that would want to meet up when the season opens I'm down to go as long as the weather is good!
killer set up ... i can't imagine the speed ... i just finally got my boost back and i'm stock and it moves! lol once i get sick of it its going to stage 1 MHD ... and possibly onward
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 10:55 AM   #55
addictedtoboost
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
killer set up ... i can't imagine the speed ... i just finally got my boost back and i'm stock and it moves! lol once i get sick of it its going to stage 1 MHD ... and possibly onward
Thanks! I went MHD Stage 2+ right off the bat! The XHP transmission tune for automatic transmissions obviously made a huge night/day difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 11:35 AM   #56
pjr710
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! I went MHD Stage 2+ right off the bat! The XHP transmission tune for automatic transmissions obviously made a huge night/day difference.
congrats to you ... i am right now in up to maintained mode. I kind of neglected maintenance on my car for a while b/c i didn't have time with my job.

the past 3 months i've done everything from OFHG, Valve cover gasket, new boost solenoids & vanos solenoids, vac lines, belt + pulleys, PS/diff/tranny/brake fluid. And finally just fixed my 30FF w/ the actuator arm!

Next on my list is walnut blast & stage 1 ... did you notice a big difference after walnut blasting?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 11:52 AM   #57
addictedtoboost
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
congrats to you ... i am right now in up to maintained mode. I kind of neglected maintenance on my car for a while b/c i didn't have time with my job.

the past 3 months i've done everything from OFHG, Valve cover gasket, new boost solenoids & vanos solenoids, vac lines, belt + pulleys, PS/diff/tranny/brake fluid. And finally just fixed my 30FF w/ the actuator arm!

Next on my list is walnut blast & stage 1 ... did you notice a big difference after walnut blasting?

Yes I noticed a pretty big difference after getting a walnut blasting done. The valves were super dirty gunked up with tons of carbon build up. After the walnut blasting was done, throttle response was back!! The n54 motor was alive!! I highly recommend getting a walnut blasting done when you have the time. Yes I have also changed my valve cover gaskets recently too along with oil filter housing gasket or may it was the oil cooler gasket I forgot which one. I am looking forward to getting M Sport calipars front/rear retrofitted very soon along with new drilled/slotted rotors and some new shoes on the car. I was thinking of going with a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS06. I've read/heard good things about these tires. Winter is around the corner and I want to be prepared. I was a 335xi so the X drive should handle very nicely in the snow.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 12:27 PM   #58
pjr710
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes I noticed a pretty big difference after getting a walnut blasting done. The valves were super dirty gunked up with tons of carbon build up. After the walnut blasting was done, throttle response was back!! The n54 motor was alive!! I highly recommend getting a walnut blasting done when you have the time. Yes I have also changed my valve cover gaskets recently too along with oil filter housing gasket or may it was the oil cooler gasket I forgot which one. I am looking forward to getting M Sport calipars front/rear retrofitted very soon along with new drilled/slotted rotors and some new shoes on the car. I was thinking of going with a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS06. I've read/heard good things about these tires. Winter is around the corner and I want to be prepared. I was a 335xi so the X drive should handle very nicely in the snow.
yea your modding things good. I'm probably going to buy an air compressor and the walnut blast kit from BavAuto.

I have a 335i RWD ... I run DWS06 and they are awesome. I just got winter tires tho .. but in terms of every other season i love the DWS06 ... i take them up on their warranty as well if the tread wears out quicker than it should.

Mavis usually has them for the cheapest.
Appreciate 0