E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Rear Main Seal or Oil Pan (picture included)???

11-10-2018, 05:07 PM   #1
paulthevol
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Rear Main Seal or Oil Pan (picture included)???

Hey guys,
I would appreciate some opinions about an oil leak that I have. First off, some info about my situation. The car is a 2008 335i automatic, with 87,100 miles. I have already replaced the VCG, OFHG, and transmission pan gasket. Most importantly, I replaced the oil pan gasket 2 years ago (at 62,900 miles). About a week ago I noticed oil on the garage floor, so I pulled the belly panels, lifted the car, cleaned everything up, and drove the car. I then pulled the car in the garage the lifted it again. The leak is either coming from the rear main seal or the oil pan gasket AGAIN. Here is what is confusing me. The areas marked with the blue circles is where I first started seeing oil leakage. After some time, I see oil leaking at the area circled in red. The area circled in red is above the oil pan gasket. Also, when I remove the black plastic cap from the transmission housing, there is a small amount of oil in there.

Last week I re-torqued the oil pan bolts and I still have a leak.

Any comments or opinions would be appreciated. If you need any other info just leave a reply.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:27 PM   #2
paulthevol
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Its the rear main seal

So, I dropped the subframe and removed the oil pan only to discover that its the rear main seal that is leaking. In this picture, you can see that the rear main seal is wet and there are drops of oil in that area.

Knowing what I know now, I would have just bought or borrowed a cheap boroscope and looked up into the the torque converter housing.

I hope this helps someone down the road.

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. I appreciate it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0