E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Getting ready to install Koni yellow and Eibach Pro-Kit

10-20-2018, 11:30 AM   #1
RiderOTStorm
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 328xi

Getting ready to install Koni yellow and Eibach Pro-Kit

From the last post.. My car 328xi 2009 has 86K

I am making the upgrade to Koni yellow and eibach pro-kit.
I used eBay to get the springs from Europe. part number E10-20-014-08-22 designed for X-drive. Koni yellows 8741-1535 L/R for the front and 8240-1236 rear

I also bought the following.
New spring pads for all for corners, New Z4M bumps for the rear with dust cover
and Monroe Upper rear shock kit

So I am on the fence on these 4 issues.. Looking for help from people with same setup..

1/ Do I need to get rear lower shock mounts or is re-using the old ones OK
2/ Do I need to get front upper strut mounts, or is reusing the old ones OK
3/ I wound up getting the e90xi front bump stops instead of the e36m... I am utterly confused by all the posts. Some say the e36m are too soft for the weight of the e90xi vehicle and is too low of a spring rate causing hard compression on potholes.. Some say otherwise..
Should I leave the e90xi bumps as is, return them or cut them down 12mm?
from reading other posts, e90xi bumps are 65mm tall and e36m are 53mm

4/ What is a good starting point for the firmness of front and rears. I am seeking a more stable than stock ride, without adding harshness or bouncing.

thx
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 07:08 PM   #2
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

1) Mine with almost double your mileage were okay. They're pretty cheap and I would replace them anyways since you're already tearing everything apart.
2) I would 100% get new front top mounts. I'm having to pull apart my front suspension next week because I was too cheap to do it when I installed my Konis and H&Rs.
3) Definitely trim the stock bump stop or get the E36 one, I am completely out of travel on my fronts with H&R Sport Springs (there is zero fender gap, maybe even a few MM of tuck) and it crashes violently on any significant bumps or potholes. You need to retain as much suspension travel as you can.
4) 50% firmness on the rear is plenty in my opinion. I went to 75% and while it was ridiculously sporty, it was overkill on a daily driven car. It rides much smoother and more comfortable now dialed down to about 30%-40%. I have the fronts at 50% firm and will go even less.

Konis can be very stiff even with mild adjustments. After having ridden in a car with them at full soft, I was blown away at the comfort levels in handling any and all road imperfections.

*The above is based on personal experience with a RWD E90, not XI. The same concepts still apply, just compensate for the added weight differences.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 09:09 AM   #3
RiderOTStorm
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 328xi

Thank you 6ixspd.. very helpful. I took about 12mm off the end of e90xi bump leaving the tapered/progressive section in tact. I set the backs and fronts to 1 full turn from soft, which is about 40-45%. I'll inspect the mounts carefully and replace as needed, but if any signs of wear or aging they'll be coming out.
Appreciate 0