E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > DIY: How to setup BMW Standard Tools 2.12 w/Windows 7 x86 (32-bit)

02-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #67
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
When using Windows 7, did you need to run any of the applications under XP compatibility mode? I've heard others mention it, but didn't see it in the guide.
No.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 03:32 PM   #68
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: FDB M3 CS

Can anyone send me the latest and greatest files? I'm picking up a Windows laptop tonight. Thanks in advance!

jeremystanger@gmail.com
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 03:37 PM   #69
fmonteiro444
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStang View Post
Can anyone send me the latest and greatest files? I'm picking up a Windows laptop tonight. Thanks in advance!

jeremystanger@gmail.com
Sent you an email

23 M3 Competition - Stock
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 09:53 AM   #70
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStang View Post

jeremystanger@gmail.com
Links to all necessary software are embedded within the DIY.

BMW Standard Tools 2.12 is comprised of the latest tools; INPA 5.0.6, NCS Expert 4.0.1, EDIABAS 7.3.0, etc. It only contains the tools themselves, no INPA scripts or configuration files. This is why the DIY begins with installing an earlier release of INPA. INPA 5.0.2 contains the latest (last?) INPA scripts to be released in English. Later scripts are in German.

SP Daten v50.2 is valid for E9x integration levels through E89x-13-07-503. Unless your car has been updated in the last 90 days or so, it's unlikely that you'll require a newer release.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 03:29 PM   #71
NeedleBanger
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '07 335i

Even after I imported the daten files etc, when I open INPA it doesn't have any cars to choose from at all. I followed all the steps (or so I thought), but in the tutorial pics it seems like there was suppose to be a bunch of cars to choose from in BMW Standard Tools (prob from installing daten files). When I got to that step I didn't have anything to choose from at all, just F1 = info & F2 = script.

I tried to say f* it by taking it to a BMW shop, but now they're saying my frm module wont respond to their diagnostic tool at all. Is this from me fooling around with that K+DCAN cable??? As far as I know, the cable didn't even work properly & I never even got anything to happen with any of the programs. I didn't change any settings or anything. Can anything get messed up by simply plugging in the K+DCAN and running INPA (I was only checking for a connection)? Agonizing...

correction: the cable probably works fine, I just have no clue what is going on.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 03:33 PM   #72
joepcrepairs
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedleBanger View Post
Even after I imported the daten files etc, when I open INPA it doesn't have any cars to choose from at all. I followed all the steps (or so I thought), but in the tutorial pics it seems like there was suppose to be a bunch of cars to choose from in BMW Standard Tools (prob from installing daten files). When I got to that step I didn't have anything to choose from at all, just F1 = info & F2 = script.

I tried to say f* it by taking it to a BMW shop, but now they're saying my frm module wont respond to their diagnostic tool at all. Is this from me fooling around with that K+DCAN cable??? As far as I know, the cable didn't even work properly & I never even got anything to happen with any of the programs. I didn't change any settings or anything. Can anything get messed up by simply plugging in the K+DCAN and running INPA (I was only checking for a connection)? Agonizing...

correction: the cable probably works fine, I just have no clue what is going on.
i can help you set it up remotely if you have the cable
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 03:34 PM   #73
joepcrepairs
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************ View Post
i can help you set it up remotely if you have the cable
just pm me
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 06:55 PM   #74
NeedleBanger
Private
Canada
Rep

Hey Joe, thanks so much for offering a hand! To my amazement, I just picked up my car from the mechanic shop... and they actually installed/coded the tail lights properly!!!! They said I was the 1st person to ever ask to have my tail lights upgraded/coded. The only thing they couldn't do for me was the corner amber turn signal delete. I would be thrilled if I could get this corner delete to work, but my kyboshed version of BMW Tools is throwing a nice sized hurdle in my way. Im going to retrace my steps for installing the daten files (I swear I did this right), and if I get totally pooched ill pm you right away. I have Windows 7 64-bit, if that's the problem...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 08:37 PM   #75
joepcrepairs
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey Joe, thanks so much for offering a hand! To my amazement, I just picked up my car from the mechanic shop... and they actually installed/coded the tail lights properly!!!! They said I was the 1st person to ever ask to have my tail lights upgraded/coded. The only thing they couldn't do for me was the corner amber turn signal delete. I would be thrilled if I could get this corner delete to work, but my kyboshed version of BMW Tools is throwing a nice sized hurdle in my way. Im going to retrace my steps for installing the daten files (I swear I did this right), and if I get totally pooched ill pm you right away. I have Windows 7 64-bit, if that's the problem...

to useexrpert and do coding you need win7 32bit edition or lower can be winvista or xp..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 01:08 PM   #76
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Exclamation

Quote:

If INPA displayed no chassis selections, you either did not install INPA 5.0.2 and copy the CFGDAT and SGDAT folders to removable media for safe keeping to begin with or after installing BMW Standard Tools 2.12, you incorrectly copied the INPA initialization file, scripts, and configuration files from your saved CFGDAT and SGDAT folders to the C:\EC-APPS\INPA\CFGDAT and C:\EC-APPS\INPA\SGDAT folders.

Your BMW shop's inability to access the FRM module via their "diagnostic tool" is a separate issue.

Incorrectly installing BMW Standard Tools 2.12, plugging in a K+DCAN cable and running INPA with no initialization file (INPA.INI) CANNOT possibly harm your vehicle.

Quote:
This DIY was tested with Windows 7 32-bit.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 01:23 PM   #77
Oo vvR3cKz oO 619
GEARS OF WAR 3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: N54 E93

very useful

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 10:54 AM   #78
NeedleBanger
Private
Canada
Rep

808AWD325xi - copying the CFGDAT and SGDAT folders to removable media was exactly what I didn't do. Can I uninstall and retry all this, or was it kinda a 1-shot deal?

When I first downloaded this program, it wouldn't even start up or anything so I went in and tried installing every possible thing in the INPA folder (like a retard) and I remember it saying in german somewhere: "Not compatible with 32-bit version..." So that sucks.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 03:05 PM   #79
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
808AWD325xi - copying the CFGDAT and SGDAT folders to removable media was exactly what I didn't do. Can I uninstall and retry all this, or was it kinda a 1-shot deal?

When I first downloaded this program, it wouldn't even start up or anything so I went in and tried installing every possible thing in the INPA folder (like a retard) and I remember it saying in german somewhere: "Not compatible with 32-bit version..." So that sucks.
You would need to start from scratch at the very beginning of the DIY to capture the INPA 5.0.2 CFGDAT and SGDAT folders needed to bootstrap INPA 5.0.6 after installing BMW Standard Tools 2.12.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 11:35 AM   #80
NeedleBanger
Private
Canada
Rep

ok right on, thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 02:32 PM   #81
NeedleBanger
Private
Canada
Rep

I managed to get BMW Tools up & running properly , but I'm not sure if my cable is working. I set it to Port 1 & Latency 1. it says the cable is working properly under the device manager. My cord came with an extra black plastic piece that fits between the K+DCAN cable and the OBD (I think it has something to do with '06 build e92). BMW Tools doesn't seem to be connecting to my laptop, and the battery/ignition buttons aren't lighting up. I checked the USB to -- box to on when I was installing the programs. When I try to check my tire pressures etc. I get this message:

Group file : D_RDC,D_0070.
SYS-0005: OBJECT FILE NOT FOUND.
Program will be stopped!

Any suggestions??

Last edited by NeedleBanger; 02-26-2014 at 05:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 03:52 PM   #82
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 328i

That adaptor does one of two things. It either jumpers pins 7 & 8 or removes the jumper on pins 7 & 8. I *think* most of them jumper the pins and therefore are only needed on older cars.

But it all depends on your cable.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 05:42 PM   #83
NeedleBanger
Private
Canada
Rep

Ya I'm about 85% sure that's why I have that little black box - it had something to do with my car being a 10/06 build. I believe I bought it off the OneStop website. The little light comes on in the clear plastic casing when I plug the cable into the OBD. Nothing happens after that, and I get the above error message if I try opening any of the diagnostics.

Is this characteristic of putting (or not putting) the wrong CFGDAT / SGDAT files in the wrong places?
Is this a characteristic of the cable not being detected, and the error message is referring to that?

When I tried to go into the E92: Driver's Seat menu, I get this error code:

Group file : D_FAS.
Program will be stopped!

Last edited by NeedleBanger; 02-26-2014 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 10:28 AM   #84
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Ya I'm about 85% sure that's why I have that little black box - it had something to do with my car being a 10/06 build. I believe I bought it off the OneStop website. The little light comes on in the clear plastic casing when I plug the cable into the OBD. Nothing happens after that, and I get the above error message if I try opening any of the diagnostics.

Is this characteristic of putting (or not putting) the wrong CFGDAT / SGDAT files in the wrong places?
Is this a characteristic of the cable not being detected, and the error message is referring to that?

When I tried to go into the E92: Driver's Seat menu, I get this error code:

Group file : D_FAS.
Program will be stopped!
Neither, INPA cannot locate the D_FAS.GRP file in the C:\EDIABAS\ECU folder. INPA needs the group files to identify modules.

You likely skipped the step in the DIY where you copy the group files (*.GRP) from the SP Daten to the C:\EDIABAS\ECU folder.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 04:09 PM   #85
NeedleBanger
Private
Canada
Rep

Ok I copied the 80 group files to ecu folder, something I originally failed to do. Now when I open bmw tools / E92, the only option I can get into is the engine. It still gives me the same error message if I try anything else.

Holy 808AWD325xi, you have been a serious help.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 05:18 PM   #86
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Ok I copied the 80 group files to ecu folder, something I originally failed to do. Now when I open bmw tools / E92, the only option I can get into is the engine. It still gives me the same error message if I try anything else.

Holy 808AWD325xi, you have been a serious help.
Did you perform the next step in the DIY as well and import the SP Daten files with WinKFP?

Part of the WinKFP import process integrates the SGBD ECU description files (*.PRG) which EDIABAS depends upon. INPA and friends communicate with the car via EDIABAS. That process doesn't only impact WinKFP, it impacts all programs ability to communicate. The DIY was not constructed in such a way to be performed in piece parts, there are interdependencies.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 03:36 PM   #87
bestb
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G21

I go step by step Inpa was working fine after first OS install but I cant find the SRC and TXT files, just not there
can someone zip and host these files ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls3c6 View Post

C:\>copy X:\CFGDAT\*.ENG C:\EC-APPS\INPA\CFGDAT /v
14 file(s) copied.
C:\>copy X:\SGDAT\*.IPO C:\EC-APPS\INPA\SGDAT /v
468 file(s) copied.
C:\>copy X:\SGDAT\*.SRC C:\EC-APPS\INPA\SGDAT /v
11 file(s) copied.
C:\>copy X:\SGDAT\*.TXT C:\EC-APPS\INPA\SGDAT /v
2 file(s) copied.

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 02:22 PM   #88
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestb View Post
I go step by step Inpa was working fine after first OS install but I cant find the SRC and TXT files, just not there
can someone zip and host these files ?
The original download links embedded within the DIY contain the SRC and TXT files. Nevertheless, the INPA script source code (*.SRC) files are not required for proper operation of the INPA run time system. Neither are the text (*.TXT) files, which are in essence header files that accompany the source code.
Appreciate 0