E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How is a RWD e90 in the snow with All Seasons

09-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
MiniXP
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 06 X5 3.0

How is a RWD e90 in the snow with All Seasons

How do RWD e90s do in the snow with all seasons? I'm coming from an e46 xi and I could go through almost anything with that on all seasons.

I live in NC right now, so we only get a couple small snow storms a year and if it snows at all I can work from home, so it doesn't seem worth it to get snow tires. It would be nice to have the ability to drive somewhere when it snows though.

Right now I have the OEM summer runflats on my car, which would probably get me no where in the snow. My biggest issue is I'm from CT and drive up there for Christmas. If it snows when on my trip there or back I would pretty much be stuck with the tires I have now. Would all seasons be able to get me through some snow on the off chance I do have to drive in it?
      09-18-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
krahooligan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i e90

probably not. I lived in Colorado for years. and unless you get front wheel drive and studded tires, or all wheel drive and snow tires, I would not suggest driving in the snow. not only dangerous for you, it will be dangerous for the people around you.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
_Adrenaline_
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahooligan View Post
probably not. I lived in Colorado for years. and unless you get front wheel drive and studded tires, or all wheel drive and snow tires, I would not suggest driving in the snow. not only dangerous for you, it will be dangerous for the people around you.
He live is North Carolina... They dont really get snow, more freezing rain, and it doesnt matter what tires you have when you're on pure ice.

As for places that actually get snow, you don't need studded tires unless you plan on climbing a mountain.

Snow tires on AWD > Snow tires on RWD > Snow Tires on FWD
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC

Quote:
+1 on this. My car did not handle well in the snow at all. You may be ok with winter/snow tires but even then you should know your limits and use caution when driving over uncleared roads.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #5
djjasper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i 6MT

All-seasons are twice as good as summers, but snows are going to be more like 3 or 4 times as good. I run all-seasons in the winter in Philly on RWD. If you get stuck in s snow storm is is going to be scary, but all over the northeast they clear snow away pretty efficiently so you hunker down for a day and then you can hit the road again driving through some slush and occasional snow patches etc. If it snows on a Thursday you can drive on Friday around here.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #6
MiniXP
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I grew up in CT and FWD with all seasons got us through probably 95% of storms. When I drove my parents honda minivan in high school, that thing could take probably at least 10" of snow with all season. My dad always puts snows on his 5 series in the winters though and generally doesn't drive it if there is supposed to be any significant snow.

For the few times I need it, I know I would be fine with snow tires, but it's not really worth it for 1 or 2 days a year. I would rather have all seasons as my main tires and a 2nd set of wheels with tires for autox.
      09-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #7
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

You won't be able to drive up a slightest hill. If all you need is "get through some snow", just carry chains. They are a PITA, but they work well.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 10:53 AM   #8
Eat.Sleep.Race
Out Boosting...
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

All seasons in the snow on RWD don't work, Id recommend getting a beater for like 2k or under that runs good, and is either front wheel drive, or a light 4x4 blazer/s10. I personally see a lot of bmw's when we get snow, and they are all in ditches, or sliding on the street not moving.
      09-18-2014, 10:54 AM   #9
MiniXP
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
You won't be able to drive up a slightest hill. If all you need is "get through some snow", just carry chains. They are a PITA, but they work well.
Chains are actually a good idea. Mostly just for if I get caught at work in the snow with my summer tires on. I only have a 3 mile drive, so I would be probably be able to just drive slowly with chains on to get home.

My other concern though is driving from CT to NC. I wouldn't want to use chains for that distance. I once was in a pretty decent snow storm from about MD until I got home in NC. The XI did great in it, but that would not be the case with the RWD 335.
      09-18-2014, 10:55 AM   #10
_Adrenaline_
Rep
Drives: 335i

For your drive up and back on Christmas, you will be fine if you know what you're doing, and drive accordingly.

Its not worth buying a set of snow tires for one trip a year. I've driven plenty of cars with all seasons in the winter, and have survived just fine with no accidents. Of course some snow tires are preferred in, but i don't see the point in buying a set for one trip a year.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 10:56 AM   #11
MiniXP
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat.Sleep.Race View Post
All seasons in the snow on RWD don't work, Id recommend getting a beater for like 2k or under that runs good, and is either front wheel drive, or a light 4x4 blazer/s10. I personally see a lot of bmw's when we get snow, and they are all in ditches, or sliding on the street not moving.
I wish I had the money right now for a 2nd car, I'd just keep my 01 325xi and put the suspension back to stock. Unfortunately I needed to have the engine replaced on my 335, so that kind of took out my 2nd car fund.
      09-18-2014, 10:57 AM   #12
MiniXP
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Adrenaline_ View Post
For your drive up and back on Christmas, you will be fine if you know what you're doing, and drive accordingly.

Its not worth buying a set of snow tires for one trip a year. I've driven plenty of cars with all seasons in the winter, and have survived just fine with no accidents. Of course some snow tires are preferred in, but i don't see the point in buying a set for one trip a year.
Yea, I mean I'm hoping I could just not hit snow in either direction and I don't have to drive it while I'm in CT. The thing I'm most worried about it getting a snow storm when I am supposed to drive back and missing work.
      09-18-2014, 11:06 AM   #13
udm328i
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92

Garage List
2008 BMW 328i  [9.00]
How about snow socks?

*auto sock, some reviews on youtube
Attached Images

09-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #14
MiniXP
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by udm328i View Post
How about snow socks?
I would actually prefer something like that to chains, but idk how well they work. I feel like I remember hearing they fall off pretty quickly, anyone here have any experiance with them? They seem like they would run less risk of damaging the car.

I actually am leaning more towards just getting chains or something to go over my summer tires. If I get stuck at work I could make it the 3 miles home that way and if I get stuck on a long drive I could probably make it to a hotel with chains.
      09-18-2014, 11:12 AM   #15
turo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [8.40]
2024 BMW M2  [9.00]
2018 BMW 340i XDrive  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat.Sleep.Race View Post
AI personally see a lot of bmw's when we get snow, and they are all in ditches, or sliding on the street not moving.
Here in North VA, that's usually because they are either driving on summer tires, or driving like idiots. I can't tell you the number of cars I see in my parking garage at work with either summer or bald winter tires when it's 10 degrees out and theres snow on the roads.

I've been daily driving RWD cars with snow or all-seasons for a while without a problem (on Conti DWS's right now on my e92). It's completely doable, you just have to be aware of your limits. I'm obviously not going to be driving un-plowed roads with a few inches of snow, or any massive uphill climbs. But for my daily commute, It's perfectly fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 11:15 AM   #16
MiniXP
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turo View Post
Here in North VA, that's usually because they are either driving on summer tires, or driving like idiots. I can't tell you the number of cars I see in my parking garage at work with either summer or bald winter tires when it's 10 degrees out and theres snow on the roads.

I've been daily driving RWD cars with snow or all-seasons for a while without a problem (on Conti DWS's right now on my e92). It's completely doable, you just have to be aware of your limits. I'm obviously not going to be driving un-plowed roads with a few inches of snow, or any massive uphill climbs. But for my daily commute, It's perfectly fine.
The Conti DWS's is what I would probably go with if I did get all seasons, they served me well on my XI.

So you can get up some small hills with say <1 of snow? I really would just need to be able to slowly go somewhere, I'm not looking to be able to drive like there is no snow on the ground.
      09-18-2014, 11:25 AM   #17
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Adrenaline_ View Post
He live is North Carolina... They dont really get snow, more freezing rain, and it doesnt matter what tires you have when you're on pure ice.

As for places that actually get snow, you don't need studded tires unless you plan on climbing a mountain.

Snow tires on AWD > Snow tires on RWD > Snow Tires on FWD
This is completely wrong, snow tires perform best at low temps, when the compound is designed to work the best. Snow tires on ice perform probably 300% better than all-seasons and even better than summer tires (obviously).

What this video from tire rack, the difference on ice is HUGE.

OP, you'll be fine with all-seasons in the winter since you're in NC. As long as you know how to drive that is. Handling will be fine, you might have trouble getting up hill but a good driver can usually do it just fine with the proper technique.

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 11:27 AM   #18
Reckless335
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 BSM 335i e92

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I have Conti DWS on my RWD E92 335 and they did me just fine last year. Drive carefully, I didn't slip or slide anywhere that I didn't want to.
      09-18-2014, 12:31 PM   #19
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 6MT E90

I did OK in stock RFTs. I also was able to take full advantage of the 6MT, and downshift versus using the brakes too much. The driver plays a HUGE role in this, so if you're careful, and practice in an empty lot somewhere, you should be able to get from A to B safely enough in light snow conditions.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 12:52 PM   #20
badaga
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘20 M340i Shappire Black

I live in NC too and just put on Conti DWS's, keeping in mind the rainfall we get here and the occasional snow and long drive that I might have to make during winters. With my summer tires I did have some rough experience (luckily no crash) last winter driving up to Columbus, with light snow falling on clean roads... Also felt very uncomfortable driving to DC through those heavy rain storm we got couple of months ago. Hence I got the DWS when I had to replace them. I'm yet to find out how they perform in light snow and wet roads.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 01:39 PM   #21
TittoBlunt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i, 2013 328i M-Sport

I lived in Upstate NY for over 10 years and never had an issue with RWD and all-seasons. You just need to give yourself the distance between you and the car in front of you and also have a light foot.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 01:45 PM   #22
David0ff
Combined Applications Group
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lada Scrapus Trofeo R

Listen to the Canuck

Get winter tires, trust me

and yes i have numerous winters (7-8) under my belt in open diff rwd bmw`s with summer tires

it`s not about being able to drive, it`s about being able to drive safely at speeds over 15 Km/h.
Appreciate 0