E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit

02-26-2023, 05:32 AM   #177
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep
Drives: e90 335i LCI M-Sport

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Really debating if I want to go this route and just reupholster the heated wheel with M-Sport style leather/perforations or go the F10 wheel route.........

I really like having factory options... like... really REALLY like factory options........

EDIT:
Apparently, F10 wheels come heated as well. Wondering if anyone has gotten this retrofit to work with that wheel. If so I may probably go that route, run a steering wheel controls emulator, and do a cruise control delete with a Heat-Button non-cruise control underpanel....

Last edited by GnomeChild; 02-26-2023 at 06:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 09:36 AM   #178
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
this thread reminds me how easy this is for a bmw... i'm adding heated steering to my Tundra and by comparison it's a mountain to climb over to figure out what parts are needed... they never made a heated wheel for a tundra, and there isn't a heat-compatible clock spring that fits, so it's going to be a whole lot of part swapping and hoping...

I do love the heated wheel in my wagon though!
      02-26-2023, 04:23 PM   #179
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
If I am to understand this retrofit correctly, a new clock spring is needed, no matter what, correct? Even if I will be using a non-e9x wheel? The controls for the heater function are in the clockspring? Non-heated cars will not have the needed connectors, correct?
      02-26-2023, 05:47 PM   #180
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
Cars that did not come with heated steering wheels would not have the clock spring with the connector for the heat wires, so yes you would need a different clock spring, and none of the connectors or wiring will be there.

The clock spring is just wires, it doesn't have any controls, the heater control is a simple push button that mounts to the lower steering column cover.

I don't have any experience with non-e8x/e9x wheels so couldn't help you there.
      02-26-2023, 06:22 PM   #181
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
Cars that did not come with heated steering wheels would not have the clock spring with the connector for the heat wires, so yes you would need a different clock spring, and none of the connectors or wiring will be there.

The clock spring is just wires, it doesn't have any controls, the heater control is a simple push button that mounts to the lower steering column cover.
I see, okay; I have added the clockspring to my list of numbers for this retrofit. That being said, someone mentioned a "blue connector" located on the clockspring but I am not seeing such a connector. Can anyone confirm this is the correct spring? I got the part number from a post earlier in the thread: 61319122509

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...y/61319122509/

Overall this is actually starting to become quite the financial investment (probably since I'm sourcing most things new). I know reading the first few pages in the thread people have mentioned not to spend more than $300 on this retrofit but the F10 wheel will probably run me $1000 alone and be the bulk of my expenses + M-Sport perforated leather rewrap + $200 emulator + $250 for clockspring/non cruise-control cover. It is probably the most lavish and financially irresponsible retrofit I plan to undertake but I've spent big money on pettier things before (still, maybe not this big, this one might take the cake )

Quote:
I don't have any experience with non-e8x/e9x wheels so couldn't help you there.
As far as I'm aware non e9x wheels just need an emulator to convert the signals of the multifunction buttons to something that can be detected by the e9x computer. Even fancy functions like touchwheel volume adjust will function correctly with an inline emulator. I don't believe one is actually required for the heater function as that seems to be a direct connection/system on all heated wheels but if you want the rest of the wheel to function correctly, you will need an emulator. That being said I don't know how JB4 will function through it however; I may be permanently locked out of accessing the KOMBI menu but I have the Bluetooth connect kit to access menus on my phone/tablet so it might not be all bad, granted just slightly more inconvenient. It may just end up pushing me over to flat out removing the JB4 and commiting to a full MHD DME flash instead of just a BEF.

So many variables to consider...
      02-26-2023, 08:18 PM   #182
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
The image at least is not a heated clockspring. maybe they used the wrong image, or maybe it's the wrong part.

This is the realoem page that i think is for your car.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=61_2434

on this page it has
For vehicles with Steering wheel heater S248A=Yes

And it has this part 61319169765
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/61319169765/
that one has the heat cable in the photo

either way buying new is a great way to spend a whole lot of money. and yeah almost all of your cost is the F wheel... good luck with that
      02-26-2023, 08:37 PM   #183
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I see, thank you for that

That RealOEM page was probably the most helpful since I was able to track down the entire unit without the Cruise Control stalk. The F10 wheel will have them integrated into the multifunction controls so that stalk will just be extraneous/useless. This is what I found for the complete unit

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...g/61319169753/

I know I could probably just do with removing the cruise control stalk, replacing the clockspring, and reusing my old unit but I digress

I see the little blue connector here in this back shot. I'm assuming that if I end up buying the entire module, it will come with the clockspring already present/inserted?

It would probably be more financially responsible to source all this secondhand and only pickup what I can't find new. However, some people mentioned having to recalibrate the steering angle sensor and that buying used could require some diagnostic coding. Is this true? It seems most picked up their components used but I don't see very many reports of anyone saying they ran into any issues...
      02-26-2023, 09:03 PM   #184
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
Either way buying new is a great way to spend a whole lot of money. and yeah almost all of your cost is the F wheel... good luck with that
The way I look at it is you will be spending money on a car in some form or another in some capacity no matter what. If you buy new you'll be locked into payments and/or depreciation that will make your money disappear overnight. My 335i is paid off and has been for sometime; I meticulously maintain and service it myself. Frankly I have never driven another car that quite performs like this one; newer or older BMW that is. The e9x came right at the time when BMW's technical department caught up to their performance department and it shows. It's the perfect balance of Analogue BMW and Digital BMW whereas older models had mechanical prowess but lacked modern features, and newer cars have more modern features but have replaced traditional mechanical ones with computers and electronic controllers. Not to mention the ever increasing complexity of modern cars does not bode well for DIY self-servicers like myself

This is just a long winded way of saying I don't feel the need necessarily to rush out and go into debt buying the latest and greatest gadget, especially one that I may not necessarily even like, when my current toy is perfectly adequate, preferable even, but can also be upgraded to have all the new gadgets the newer fancier toys come with

I'm either going $70k into debt (or at least being financially committed to that amount) buying a new fully optioned M3 CS that I may not even like, or I spend $2k on a nice wheel retrofit for my 335i that I very much do like.

I get to pick and choose the upgrades I approve of to modernize my car as I see fit instead of taking the complete package of forced modernization good and bad. That way I can come back to these forums and bitch about the modern aspects and designs of BMW I don't like (Electric steering, G80 Grille) or give a salute to the engineers in the aspects where they have succeeded in tantalizing me so (F10 Wheel, NBT iDrive, etc)
      03-06-2023, 06:33 PM   #185
Crackerjack1000
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

Do you guys know the part number for the clock spring that's for the heated steering wheel + active cruise control? Or can I just get the clock spring for the heated wheel and just change out the stalk?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 04:59 AM   #186
dumitru.o
coding BMW.....
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW

exactly, you can swap the clock spring for heated steering wheel. ACC or non ACC has the same clock spring
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 08:04 AM   #187
Electronics
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumitru.o View Post
i have one for heating if you are interested. if you are in europe, i will sell it for 110 eur shipped
Do you still have this product?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 08:13 AM   #188
dumitru.o
coding BMW.....
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronics View Post
Do you still have this product?
hi

yes i do. send me a PM with your email
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 11:15 AM   #189
Electronics
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumitru.o View Post
hi

yes i do. send me a PM with your email
Sent you a PM
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 09:46 AM   #190
Electronics
Rep

So, I have a question about this retrofit, and it's more a gimmick than a need, but would the integration of the thermometer for automatically starting the heated steering wheel be a possibility?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 09:51 AM   #191
codeterrorist
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
So, I have a question about this retrofit, and it's more a gimmick than a need, but would the integration of the thermometer for automatically starting the heated steering wheel be a possibility?
I don't think there is such a thing? I have never seen a way to start it automatically based on temperature. Not even in our F48 (X1) so I highly doubt it for an E90.
Where did you get the idea of such thing exists?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 07:13 AM   #192
Electronics
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeterrorist View Post
I don't think there is such a thing? I have never seen a way to start it automatically based on temperature. Not even in our F48 (X1) so I highly doubt it for an E90.
Where did you get the idea of such thing exists?
Ah, someone said it in a youtube video. Maybe it was wrong then. Thanks.

Update about the retrofit; succesfully built it into my car, using a fuse tap. Got it from tap 5 (only fuse with 20 AMP available in my car), which is linked to the gear selector light meaning it stays on for a half hour after car is closed. I don't like it, but it doesn't present any problems I think. Does this retrofit need 20 AMP or can I also use a fuse with 10/5 AMP?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 11:08 AM   #193
codeterrorist
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Ah, someone said it in a youtube video. Maybe it was wrong then. Thanks.

Update about the retrofit; succesfully built it into my car, using a fuse tap. Got it from tap 5 (only fuse with 20 AMP available in my car), which is linked to the gear selector light meaning it stays on for a half hour after car is closed. I don't like it, but it doesn't present any problems I think. Does this retrofit need 20 AMP or can I also use a fuse with 10/5 AMP?
If you go back to the first page, it was mentioned that 10amp would also work, so try that. My tap is also seem to be connected to somehing that takes a bit of time to sleep, so the heating stays on for about 20 minutes after I lock the car. Which I'm going to use for my upcoming project
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 10:53 AM   #194
JellyStyle
Builder of Special Cars
Rep
Drives: G12 B7,F02 750li,E70 X5M,E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACE9 View Post
does anyone know who can complete my heated steering wheel retro fit on my bmx x5 2012/ i had bmw instoll the wheel and the heated steering wheel paddle module but can not get power to the heated steering wheel button on the steering wheel. thx. race9.
You have to wire for the power for heat, if you do not have a switch, i can send you the thread, PM me.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 02:57 AM   #195
scroller
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Hello,

Is there a way to remove the knob on the distronic and move it to the clockspirng itself, which has a heater, because most of the ones I find are without a knob for the distronic. Would the link I leave work for me? Or i need to buy dirrect from bmw with this ID:61319169752.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/61319169765/

BR
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 04:39 AM   #196
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

the heating is not bound to distronic, you need only different clock spring, you can put it on SZL with distronic
      12-05-2023, 06:52 AM   #197
scroller
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
the heating is not bound to distronic, you need only different clock spring, you can put it on SZL with distronic
If I understand you correctly, the link I provided would work for me as well? -- https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/61319169765/
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 12:01 PM   #198
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

the link is not working