E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Help replacing CCC unit

02-04-2021, 07:46 PM   #1
tugbot
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Question Help replacing CCC unit

Just bought my first car an e92 07 335i I bought it knowing the idrive was broken, it just keeps rebooting over and over. I thought I would just buy a new CCC unit off marketplace. When looking at CCC units from the same year some of them have radio channel buttons and some don't, why is that. Another thing I heard is if you have premium sound with the L7 amp (which I do) the CCC unit will be different and wont work. If I do buy the right one will I need a code for sound to work? Yesterday I actually plugged in a new CCC unit off marketplace and the menus worked but it didn't have sound could this be because of the other car didn't come with an L7 amp or did it needing coding?
(when I say "CCC unit" I just mean the radio part not the screen." Is there a better way to go about my issue?

Any help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 12:21 PM   #2
pelon222
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

could be that the unit is from a model without L7, I would assume that factory coding to your FA would work
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 08:49 AM   #3
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

The preset buttons where an upgraded CCC unit, the earlier units did not have the preset buttons the later ones do, I changed sometime in 2007, my 06 didn't have them my 08 did all CCC. The CCC with the buttons is slightly better, it is a little faster processor etc, still old and slow but less so. You can code either one into any year car that had CCC so both will work but if you change from one with buttons to without or vice versa you have to change a little coding to reflect the difference with the buttons. I am not sure about the difference of the unit L7 vs not L7. One other thing that goes wrong when swapping CCC's is the voice commands stops working and there is no easy way to fix it, you need a code and no one seems to have them anymore, used to be a DVD of codes floating around the internet but seems no you need a dealer to make it work.

At the end of the day you can put a CIC unit in the car for around 500 bucks and is a massive improvement over the CCC, so my advice would be to look into that and not invest in anything CCC.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 05:37 PM   #4
tugbot
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Thanks, I'll look into that. But if I did plug an identical ccc unit in the sound should work with no code?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 11:00 AM   #5
mike5124
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i (E90)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugbot View Post
Just bought my first car an e92 07 335i I bought it knowing the idrive was broken, it just keeps rebooting over and over. I thought I would just buy a new CCC unit off marketplace. When looking at CCC units from the same year some of them have radio channel buttons and some don't, why is that. Another thing I heard is if you have premium sound with the L7 amp (which I do) the CCC unit will be different and wont work. If I do buy the right one will I need a code for sound to work? Yesterday I actually plugged in a new CCC unit off marketplace and the menus worked but it didn't have sound could this be because of the other car didn't come with an L7 amp or did it needing coding?
(when I say "CCC unit" I just mean the radio part not the screen." Is there a better way to go about my issue?

Any help is appreciated.
You need to have the CCC default coded to work with the options you have in your vehicle. As far as I know, the only hardware difference is the 2006 CCC without the Channel buttons and the post 2007 CCC with Channel buttons. Default code it and the audio will work.

The one thing I'm sure won't work will be Voice Command because the VINs don't match. CCC will need to be hacked for that to work.

The only thing I recommend is to not over pay for it. For around $500 and some time, effort, and research, you can retrofit the newer post-2009 CIC yourself. I would pay less than $300 or $200 for a CCC replacement head unit but up to you.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 03:28 AM   #6
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 M-Sport

I agree with the others, dump the ccc and upgrade to the cic, its a much better system.

Appreciate 0