E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > removing un-needed wiring for track

12-09-2021, 09:51 PM   #1
EndOfAnEra
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW X3 35i Msport + S2000

Question removing un-needed wiring for track

hey guys, so I have a predicament on my hands and I need your help. I am turning my e90 335i into a wtcc replica track car and need opinions about removing un-needed wiring in the car.

Should I remove all wiring associated with unwanted systems like tpms, airbags, radio, satellite tuner, sunroof, seat belts, etc.? I want to save as much weight as possible. Has anyone done this?

Or...should I leave all wiring as is and just tie up the unused wiring after removing all unwanted modules?

Regardless of which route I go, I would keep all wiring associated with engine/trans, lights, instrument cluster, dme, etc.

Please let me know what you think I should do because Im having a hard time deciding. I am almost done removing all sound deadening from the inside and am going to paint the inside of the car (nice gloss finish) as well as adding a roll cage. Thank you for your input.
      12-11-2021, 01:58 PM   #2
charlie_m
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328ix

Maybe not what you want to hear, but the best way would be to figure out what modules you want to keep, and then do a new motorsports-quality harness for them from scratch. But that's a huge undertaking, and expensive if you don't DIY.

If not that, then keep the existing harness intact and just tie back the unused connectors. I don't think the weight savings of removing unused wiring is worth the risk or effort, unless they are self contained sub-harnesses from one of the removed modules.
Appreciate 1
edycol1486.00
      12-12-2021, 09:18 PM   #3
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Not worth headache. You won't save a lot of weight.
Tear down speakers, underseat speakers, radio, insulation, seats. Move to light driver seat and passenger one (if keeping).
Be careful about brake set up. That is where performance is going to suffer if you go with too big rotors.
If you can source racing battery, that will help you shed a lot of weight. Carbon hood?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 10:24 PM   #4
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

If it was an e36 I’d say go for it but with how complex and interconnected everything is on these cars, I’d probably just leave it
Appreciate 1
tsk941514.50