E90Post
 


UroTuning
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M3 control arm question



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-19-2019, 08:09 AM   #1
tony55343
Private First Class
41
Rep
186
Posts

Drives: 08 335i coupe 6mt
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: MN

iTrader: (1)

M3 control arm question

Quick question, yes I have searched .

I plan on upgrading to the M3 front control arms on my 2008 335i . I have seen it mentioned before it is recommended/required to replace the bolts/hardware for the arms when swapping them out. However, none of the threads regarding it really mention if people have replaced them..1. Is it reuired to change the bolts/mounting hardware when swapping to M3 front arms?

2. If it is, could someone provide the correct part/kit # ? I would be purchasing from FCP Euro and cannot determine which would be required.

Thanks for the help in advance!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 02:02 PM   #2
gjm120
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
1029
Rep
1,805
Posts

Drives: 2013 128i
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: East Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony55343 View Post
Quick question, yes I have searched .

I plan on upgrading to the M3 front control arms on my 2008 335i . I have seen it mentioned before it is recommended/required to replace the bolts/hardware for the arms when swapping them out. However, none of the threads regarding it really mention if people have replaced them..1. Is it reuired to change the bolts/mounting hardware when swapping to M3 front arms?

2. If it is, could someone provide the correct part/kit # ? I would be purchasing from FCP Euro and cannot determine which would be required.

Thanks for the help in advance!!!
I replaced them. Probably roughly half replace them.
FCP sell a kit with the required fasteners for about $45. It's usually listed with the arms themselves.
__________________
E82 / Ver Red / Blk Boston L / BMWP Springs w/ Koni Yellows / M front control arms / M rear guide rods / AT / Sport seats & steering wheel + paddles
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 03:08 PM   #3
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
SSW's Avatar
United_States
52
Rep
813
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
As I recall (I'd have to check for sure), I bought this OEM kit and all of the necessary hardware from ECS here:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/e9xm3310801/

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...31106763928kt/

Not sure if my indie actually used all of the new hardware provided.
__________________
2008 Black Sapphire 335i E90 Sport & Premium Pkgs - Cobb Stage 1+FMIC Sport map, Mishimoto FMIC & Alpina B3 AT Flash. See: My Build Thread.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 04:23 PM   #4
lowrydr310
Robot
136
Rep
451
Posts

Drives: 06 325i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Personally, I would replace them whether using M3 control arms or the standard non-M E90 arms. I recently loosened my bolts to install struts and was a bit paranoid about retightening them since they are apparently torque to yield bolts with a locking nut. There's a torque spec plus an 90 degree rotation required. I torqued them then rotated an additional 45 degrees, using loctite on the nuts just for peace of mind. BUT when I replace control arms I'm getting new hardware, it's cheap enough to just do it.

I read several reports that when installing M3 control arms onto a non-M it's difficult to get the bushings into the bracket on the subframe. Is there any truth to this?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 04:32 PM   #5
mweisdorfer
Brigadier General
mweisdorfer's Avatar
United_States
1059
Rep
4,665
Posts

Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Holly, MI

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
Personally, I would replace them whether using M3 control arms or the standard non-M E90 arms. I recently loosened my bolts to install struts and was a bit paranoid about retightening them since they are apparently torque to yield bolts with a locking nut. There's a torque spec plus an 90 degree rotation required. I torqued them then rotated an additional 45 degrees, using loctite on the nuts just for peace of mind. BUT when I replace control arms I'm getting new hardware, it's cheap enough to just do it.

I read several reports that when installing M3 control arms onto a non-M it's difficult to get the bushings into the bracket on the subframe. Is there any truth to this?
Yes.

You will need a file or a dremmel with really corse sanding wheels.

When I did mine, the control arm wouldn't fit unless I shaved about 1/16 of an inch out inside the subframe fitting.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 04:12 AM   #6
streetpro
Private
streetpro's Avatar
Czech_Republic
33
Rep
95
Posts

Drives: e92 335iA
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Prague

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Just use sand band or file to shave off a bit from each side of the control arm knuckle/axle. Lubricate the correspond part of subframe and push it in.
__________________
"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.Ē Mario Andretti
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 08:43 AM   #7
tony55343
Private First Class
41
Rep
186
Posts

Drives: 08 335i coupe 6mt
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: MN

iTrader: (1)

Thanks for the help !!!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 06:49 PM   #8
mweisdorfer
Brigadier General
mweisdorfer's Avatar
United_States
1059
Rep
4,665
Posts

Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Holly, MI

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony55343 View Post
Thanks for the help !!!
Of you chose to use lube, use silicone based grease. It won't degrade the rubber bushing in the control arm.

Personally, I wouldn't put a tool any where near the bushing, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 07:12 AM   #9
rgfinn76
Second Lieutenant
41
Rep
211
Posts

Drives: 2008 335i Sport Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

I just installed mine yesterday... was a breeze I used a dremel and sanding a little in the subframe and used anti sieze and they slide in with a little wiggling. I used a screw driver to line them up and inserted the new bolt. Car is driving like crap right now going to get alignment done this afternoon.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 07:38 PM   #10
rgfinn76
Second Lieutenant
41
Rep
211
Posts

Drives: 2008 335i Sport Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

After the alignment today WOW!! Get it aligned to the M3 specs and the handling in awesome!! I got the fronts to -1.6 without even removing the alignment pins

Fronts are -1.6 and Rear is -1.8

Definitely a great upgrade!
Appreciate 2
      09-27-2019, 07:36 AM   #11
tony55343
Private First Class
41
Rep
186
Posts

Drives: 08 335i coupe 6mt
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: MN

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgfinn76 View Post
After the alignment today WOW!! Get it aligned to the M3 specs and the handling in awesome!! I got the fronts to -1.6 without even removing the alignment pins

Fronts are -1.6 and Rear is -1.8

Definitely a great upgrade!
Awesome good to hear ! could you post the alignment sheet so I can see all the specs?

I just tell them to do the alignment specs to an M3 of the same year and I will be good to go?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2019, 10:49 AM   #12
rgfinn76
Second Lieutenant
41
Rep
211
Posts

Drives: 2008 335i Sport Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony55343 View Post
Awesome good to hear ! could you post the alignment sheet so I can see all the specs?

I just tell them to do the alignment specs to an M3 of the same year and I will be good to go?
Iíll post later when I get home... Yes they will load the M3 specs and align to that. Mine is 08 E92 Sport Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 08:00 AM   #13
tony55343
Private First Class
41
Rep
186
Posts

Drives: 08 335i coupe 6mt
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: MN

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgfinn76 View Post
Iíll post later when I get home... Yes they will load the M3 specs and align to that. Mine is 08 E92 Sport Coupe.
Mine is also an 08 e92 sport coupe
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST