E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Activating 6NR (ConnectedDrive) on 2011 E92 LCI

09-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #23
terminator2k2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90

ok adventr has connected drive as this is normal with out bmw apps and $6nr.

if he adds $6nr the cic will either :

1.revert to bmw services with no apps meaning he will need a fsc for bmw apps.

2.stay as connected drive and will have bmw apps. Pandora, facebook , web radio etc.

as ive already asked and said.....DOES bmw apps work with iphones after the 4th generation.? im not sure it actualy works on iphone 5.

I know for sure that video and the iphone plugin app will not work as the iphone 5 doesn't support analogue video out.

there is actualy a bmw connected drive app for android. but this is only compatible with f series cars with nbt I think.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 04:17 PM   #24
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Yes, BMW Apps works with all generations of iPhone. I have a 6 now and a 5 before that and both worked flawlessly. BMW Apps does not rely on the video output of the phone to work. The only thing you need that for is if you have a snapin and want to use the iPod-out and video playback functions. I am not certain but I believe the new iPhone 5/5S snapin has a video converter in it to convert the lightning port's digital video to analog to restore this functionality. I do not have that though so YMMV.

My solution to get iPod out back was to get an old iPhone 4S and leave it plugged in to my snapin. It syncs with my computer when I park the car in the garage so it is always up to date with my music.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 12:00 AM   #25
glachhman
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

People who want to get Apps loaded to their idrive you can PM me and I'll send you the info to the guy who updated my radio and enabled all options.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 09:56 AM   #26
myersrw
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Smile Adding BMW APPS to 2011 E90 LCI

My car has a 3/1/2011 manufacturing date and came with BMW Services. However, I don't have the BMW APPS $6NR? How can I add this to my vehicle. I would like to have full control of Pandora (i.e. able to select stations) using the I-drive. As my car is now I can connect to Pandora but can only skip to the next song from the I-drive.

I have used NCS-Expert to add $6NR to the FA but that didn't seem to make the APPS appear in my BMW Services menu. I've read that the CIC and COMBOX need to be updated with the modified VO but I don't know how to do that. Can anyone help me with this?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 08:44 AM   #27
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by myersrw View Post
My car has a 3/1/2011 manufacturing date and came with BMW Services. However, I don't have the BMW APPS $6NR? How can I add this to my vehicle. I would like to have full control of Pandora (i.e. able to select stations) using the I-drive. As my car is now I can connect to Pandora but can only skip to the next song from the I-drive.

I have used NCS-Expert to add $6NR to the FA but that didn't seem to make the APPS appear in my BMW Services menu. I've read that the CIC and COMBOX need to be updated with the modified VO but I don't know how to do that. Can anyone help me with this?
The second post in this thread tells you. 6NR (BMW Apps) is an FSC activated option. You need to have the code and import it into your combox in order to activate the option. Since this was a $500 option when the car was ordered BMW decided to protect it from folks doing what you are trying to do and get it for free.

There are vendors that offer the BMW Apps upgrade but you will have to pay.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 02:32 PM   #28
myersrw
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Bmw Apps In 2011 335d

From what I understand, some of the earlier cars don't require the FSC code from the dealer. You can get the BMW apps by adding the $6nr to your VO. However, the VO is in two different ECUs and I'm not sure which ones and how to modify.

The original BMW APPS options was $250. There are people out there like that sell a BMW Apps retrofit for $399 but it doesn't offer everything you would get with the factory $6nr option.

Before I spend ~$110 for the 9C FSC code I wanted to add $6nr to my VO just to verify that I really need the 9C FSC code.

Soo....what I'm hoping someone could walk me through the process of adding the $6nr to the FA and which ECU modules need to have the $6nr added to them.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 03:15 PM   #29
BMWLad
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F06 640d

I'm also interested in this. I've got a 2010 March build with Pro Nav, combox and can see album art using apple cable plugged directly into the console. I think I can just update the VO but has anyone with a similar done this?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 11:10 AM   #30
xnsf
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i

Here's a couple of notes, I hope this is helpful to you guys:

-Combox equipped cars (US) were from March 2011 did not need FSC code to activate 6NR. From September 2011 builds and beyond, FSC code is required.
-Upgrading to daten v48 (to my recollection) will enable the FSC lock.
-Write $6NR to VO, Media, and CIC will automatically enable it. I believe there was no additional modification to those modules other than writing the option code.

My experience:
I have May 2011 build on daten v42, and was able to activate 6NR with no issue. Took it in for service last fall, dealership updated the modules, and I lost BMW Apps. 6NR was no longer available, and recoding was ineffective; it will still write to the module successfully. Also tried getting the FSC code for myself to input, however, unless you know what you're doing with importing a FSC code, it's difficult. This FSC activation process is different than when upgrading to a new map, in which iDrive prompts and has UI for that process.

In short:
If you have the FSC lock, it will be easiest to go to a vendor, have them generate the FSC code and remotely activate it for you. There's no simple way for to activate the FSC code for 6NR.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2015, 10:57 AM   #31
viperrj
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnsf View Post
Here's a couple of notes, I hope this is helpful to you guys:

-Combox equipped cars (US) were from March 2011 did not need FSC code to activate 6NR. From September 2011 builds and beyond, FSC code is required.
-Upgrading to daten v48 (to my recollection) will enable the FSC lock.
-Write $6NR to VO, Media, and CIC will automatically enable it. I believe there was no additional modification to those modules other than writing the option code.

My experience:
I have May 2011 build on daten v42, and was able to activate 6NR with no issue. Took it in for service last fall, dealership updated the modules, and I lost BMW Apps. 6NR was no longer available, and recoding was ineffective; it will still write to the module successfully. Also tried getting the FSC code for myself to input, however, unless you know what you're doing with importing a FSC code, it's difficult. This FSC activation process is different than when upgrading to a new map, in which iDrive prompts and has UI for that process.

In short:
If you have the FSC lock, it will be easiest to go to a vendor, have them generate the FSC code and remotely activate it for you. There's no simple way for to activate the FSC code for 6NR.
This helps a ton in understanding what needs to happen. That said, is there a vendor or tech in Maryland that can help with this?
      08-24-2015, 07:06 PM   #32
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator2k2 View Post
code 6NR to FA recode cic + combox to new FA and see if bmw services changes to connected drive,

if it stays on bmw services you will need FSC code for your vin to activate bmw apps.

I would say due to year of car software will be latest and you will need FSC code.
Hey just thought I'd jump in and ask you. I just bought a used CIC, it was already programmed and working in someone elses car with combox. I bought the combox with it but didnt hook it up yet. I still have the original bluetooth module that my non-idrive car came with.

I still see the connectedrive menu option without combox and when I click it it tells me to plug my phone into usb. Is a combox really required or is this just a facade? As in, even though the menu exists and looks like it should work maybe it in fact doesnt?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 10:28 PM   #33
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssshake View Post
Hey just thought I'd jump in and ask you. I just bought a used CIC, it was already programmed and working in someone elses car with combox. I bought the combox with it but didnt hook it up yet. I still have the original bluetooth module that my non-idrive car came with.

I still see the connectedrive menu option without combox and when I click it it tells me to plug my phone into usb. Is a combox really required or is this just a facade? As in, even though the menu exists and looks like it should work maybe it in fact doesnt?
You need the combox. Where do you think that USB connectoin goes?
      10-05-2019, 09:39 AM   #34
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 330e (F30)

I thought of responding too but it’s a really old post... someone dug it up and then deleted his/her post. But in case anyone was wondering, the CIC has no idea that there is no combox, it just shows the menu options that it’s programmed to. It needed to be reprogrammed to the default of the new car.

Last edited by FaxData; 10-05-2019 at 12:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 10:28 PM   #35
Maggathegreek
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 535xi

Garage List
2006 BMW M5  [0.00]
2010 BMW 535xi  [10.00]
1998 bmw 540i  [0.00]
I have a 2010 535 Xdrive. It has the CIC but I cannot see connecteddrive in my menu. I would like to add the BMW connected app but I need connected drive in my car. Does anyone know how I can add this feature? I would also like to add apple CarPlay which device should I get bimmer techs mmi unit?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 09:33 PM   #36
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Do BMW Apps still work in 2020? e.g. can you still use Pandora right from iDrive? I feel at this point it might be worth just getting an Android-based iDrive unit.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 11:23 PM   #37
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
Do BMW Apps still work in 2020? e.g. can you still use Pandora right from iDrive? I feel at this point it might be worth just getting an Android-based iDrive unit.
Works like a charm. I am even doing M Lap Timer with GoPro and it shows the image preview on the CIC. All the Apps listed on the menu is active and working!

You can simply plug in your latest iphone via usb or i also have dedicated iphone 4 which graps thee wifi from my Galaxy Ultra Plus tethering and it is connected my $6NL retrofit 32 pin plug under the arm rest to watch videos and stuff. But iphone 4 doesnt support the new M Lap Timer with Go Pro so newer version iphones via usb is just fine. You just need to make sure you have active $6NR on your BMW!

and really no difference comparing to my f85. Only diffence is MLaptimer after FSC coded is built in App on my NBT Evo and not required usb connection. Just make sure to use on APP mode not the Apple Carplay mode :

, F85 ACC Retrofit

Last edited by SaNGRia; 03-19-2021 at 08:37 PM..
Appreciate 3
      03-19-2021, 10:58 AM   #38
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNGRia View Post
Works like a charm. I am even doing M Lap Timer with GoPro and it shows the image preview on the CIC. All the Apps listed on the menu is active and working!

You can simply plug in your latest iphone via usb or i also have dedicated iphone 4 which graps thee wifi from my Galaxy Ultra Plus tethering and it is connected my $6NL retrofit 32 pin plug under the arm rest to watch videos and stuff. But iphone 4 doesnt support the new M Lap Timer with Go Pro so newer version iphones via usb is just fine. You just need to make sure you have active $6NR on your BMW!

and really no difference comparing to my f85 :

Thanks so much for the videos. Is the apps interface only available via a wired connection? Do you know what all apps are available currently for cars equipped with this feature? Spotify, lap timers, Youtube? I'm getting a '13 e92 next week that has this option and I'm really curious about it.
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 08:34 PM   #39
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
Thanks so much for the videos. Is the apps interface only available via a wired connection? Do you know what all apps are available currently for cars equipped with this feature? Spotify, lap timers, Youtube? I'm getting a '13 e92 next week that has this option and I'm really curious about it.
Hey. Yes CIC requires either USB or Snap In connection to activate this app under $6NR BMW ConnectedDrive Menu. Or you can simply turn on your Spotify, Pandora,Amazon music, Life360, and some other apps individually and the apps doesnt related to music appears under ConnectedDrive, The one related to music shows both either under ConnectedDrive or under CD/Multimedia menu. I have dedicated iphone4 stays in the vehicle. And whenevr i drive, turn on my wifi tethering , and turn on the Spotify App, Listen all my favorites.
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1363.50
      10-07-2021, 05:12 PM   #40
PandaNL
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F30 330e & E92 335i

Garage List
What connected drive app version do you use? On my iPhone 11 pro i get the message on my phone when I connect it to usb that I can only use one accessory at the same time. The old connected app (blue icon with globe) does not work, and so does the even older version (brownish lines)

My old iPhone 5 does work, and it was a real hassle to get the correct spotify version to be able to login.

But I rather connect my iphone 11 pro. Did anyone get it working with a newer iphone?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 02:38 PM   #41
Mert335d
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335d LCI

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:

and really no difference comparing to my f85. Only diffence is MLaptimer after FSC coded is built in App on my NBT Evo and not required usb connection. Just make sure to use on APP mode not the Apple Carplay mode :

How did you get it work ? With FSTool or did you buy the FSC ?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 05:15 PM   #42
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mert335d View Post
How did you get it work ? With FSTool or did you buy the FSC ?
6NR and 6NF with FSCTool. Check my topic.
, F85 ACC Retrofit

Last edited by SaNGRia; 11-15-2021 at 05:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 10:48 AM   #43
Mert335d
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335d LCI

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
6NR and 6NF with FSCTool. Check my topic.
So is it better to do this with FSTool 2.18 or FSTool2 version 02.02.00 ?
And if I go with the first one (2.18), I have to download newest carserver right ?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 12:58 PM   #44
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mert335d View Post
So is it better to do this with FSTool 2.18 or FSTool2 version 02.02.00 ?
And if I go with the first one (2.18), I have to download newest carserver right ?
I recently done for a friend. FSC 02.02 did all without any issue.
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0