E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 Engine Mount Question

10-11-2019, 05:52 AM   #23
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Turner 60a are the best option for our cars. They take a couple thousand miles to break in. I have had them for 16,000 miles. Love them. You should replace the trans mounts while you are in there m. Rogue Engineering makes the best trans mounts money can buy for our cars.

Or

Go stock.

I'd buy the aluminum plate that goes around the crank seal if you go stock. With Turner 60a, I don't worry about the PS pulley hitting the subframe and the chaos that ensues.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 10:55 AM   #24
rocksarntpeople
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i M Sport

My biggest issue is that I dont want any additional vibration, I would just rather have them last a bit a longer than the stock ones. If the only way to avoid race mounts is go stock Ill just change em yearly and be done with it.
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2019, 11:22 AM   #25
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksarntpeople View Post
My biggest issue is that I dont want any additional vibration, I would just rather have them last a bit a longer than the stock ones. If the only way to avoid race mounts is go stock Ill just change em yearly and be done with it.
Going off of pics posted of the stock mounts cut in half, has anyone tried filling the stock mounts with Window-Weld to see if that makes a difference? That was a pretty straightforward trick most import guys have done in the past to deal with wobbly stock mounts on FWD street cars...

Looks like there are some small voids on the sides that could easily be filled, but not sure if anyone has drilled a hole through the bottom cap, allowing whatever fluid might be in there to drain out, and shot that up with Weld as well:

EDIT:
Boom, great vid here...looks like just filling the top voids definitely helps. I'd do this before installing another IS mount, as the one I have in there currently is just as worn as the factory driver side mount with no real benefit at all (both @ 60K miles).

The Window-Weld is about 55-60 on the durometer scale, so mixing it with the factory soft rubber mount should keep everything livable while tightening up the drivetrain a decent amount:

Last edited by FCobra94; 10-11-2019 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 2
feuer4275.50
      10-11-2019, 11:44 AM   #26
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Going off of pics posted of the stock mounts cut in half, has anyone tried filling the stock mounts with Window-Weld to see if that makes a difference? That was a pretty straightforward trick most import guys have done in the past to deal with wobbly stock mounts on FWD street cars...

Looks like there are some small voids on the sides that could easily be filled, but not sure if anyone has drilled a hole through the bottom cap, allowing whatever fluid might be in there to drain out, and shot that up with Weld as well:

EDIT:
Boom, great vid here...looks like just filling the top voids definitely helps. I'd do this before installing another IS mount, as the one I have in there currently is just as worn as the factory driver side mount with no real benefit at all (both @ 60K miles).

The Window-Weld is about 55-60 on the durometer scale, so mixing it with the factory soft rubber mount should keep everything livable while tightening up the drivetrain a decent amount:]
The thing about the IS mount is not that it's more durable it's just that it's more stiff because the IS cars make more torque and HP than stock 335i .
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 12:45 PM   #27
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
The thing about the IS mount is not that it's more durable it's just that it's more stiff because the IS cars make more torque and HP than stock 335i .
Agreed...bit it's not "more stiff" enough to make an appreciable difference either though, is what I'm saying.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #28
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Agreed...bit it's not "more stiff" enough to make an appreciable difference either though, is what I'm saying.
Right, in reliablity and longeveity.

But I think it does make a ok difference in how the car drives and motor shake. Like I read people used the IS mount to prevent subframe from hitting the belt on the pre 08 cars that didn't have the subframe cut to accomodate for movement.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 03:04 PM   #29
neilvan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD

Garage List
I bought the 034's and they failed after going around the block; didn't even get above 40km.

I went Turner 60a after that(335is are ~1000 per mount up here). They are good but a bit much at warm up/idle (This is my daily and I have a fully poly/sold race car) so I just wanted something a little less. I now have the Turner mount on the pass side and the stock on the drivers and its a good compromise(e46 M3 trans too)
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2019, 07:07 AM   #30
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 + f15

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvan View Post
I bought the 034's and they failed after going around the block; didn't even get above 40km.

I went Turner 60a after that(335is are ~1000 per mount up here). They are good but a bit much at warm up/idle (This is my daily and I have a fully poly/sold race car) so I just wanted something a little less. I now have the Turner mount on the pass side and the stock on the drivers and its a good compromise(e46 M3 trans too)
After installing the Turner 60as, I raised the idle in MHD and have minimal to no NVH at warm up. Depends on her mood, really.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2019, 08:57 AM   #31
Rob09msport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335 msport

I have 034s and took them out few times withing 5k miles they held up but now with my upgraded twins and horror stories I'm nervous so I think I am going to go to is mounts. Worse part is my stock mounts were perfect when I changed them. Recently I have noticed some nvh at high speed low rpm but it is so intermittent that it could be road or maybe my guibo or cab. So I am thinking gof just ordering all 3 and a vrsf exhaust on black Friday and just doing it all at once. I've never done just mounts tho so Idk how bad if job that is by itself.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 07:38 AM   #32
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob09msport View Post
I have 034s and took them out few times withing 5k miles they held up but now with my upgraded twins and horror stories I'm nervous so I think I am going to go to is mounts. Worse part is my stock mounts were perfect when I changed them. Recently I have noticed some nvh at high speed low rpm but it is so intermittent that it could be road or maybe my guibo or cab. So I am thinking gof just ordering all 3 and a vrsf exhaust on black Friday and just doing it all at once. I've never done just mounts tho so Idk how bad if job that is by itself.
My best advice you be get rid of the 034 mounts NOW, or you will be sorry.
Appreciate 0