E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Steel SMFW/Spec Stage 2+ clutch noise on light throttle

10-15-2019, 04:17 PM   #1
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i MSport + 1990 300ZX TT

Steel SMFW/Spec Stage 2+ clutch noise on light throttle

Recently finished replacing my engine, unfortunately I neglected to check the clutch while it was all apart so I had to swap the clutch out on jack stands after it was all said and done. I originally had the spec steel SMWF as well as the Spec Stage 2+ clutch kit so I basically replaced it with the same clutch & had a local machine shop resurface the flywheel. Also replaced the throwout bearing, clutch slave, and pivot pin while I was in there. Did not touch the Pilot Bearing.

I know this setup is supposed to be noisy and all, but I don't remember this specific noise. Basically it only occurs on super light throttle, imagine barely touching the gas peddle to the point where you're holding the RPM where it's at. Or maybe slightly accelerating. But basically it sounds like something is rattling/vibrating. I mean, honestly it kinda does sound like the clutch chatter you would expect but I absolute do not remember it when cruising on the highway. My girlfriend noticed it as well, she doesn't recall that noise outside of idling.

Is this just be the new clutch/flywheel is? Or could it be something else? I honestly can't think of anything else, I want to say it's normal since the clutch/transmission feels perfect minus the noise.

I'm also trying to watch my RPMs & gears, seems to be around 2600 rpm when the noise comes in but I think that's just the RPM I'm at after shifting. The noise seems to come and go, it's not perfectly consistent. Not so much as in, I can drive the car one day and it's perfectly quiet. More so the noise is always present, but you can only hear it certain times & when you get the RPMs just right you can hear it for 5+ seconds at a time.

I did take a video of it but it's soo hard to pick up the noise on camera. In person you can hear it pretty clearly though. I ran my hand in front of the camera after the noise occurs just to mark the video, I want to say it starts at 8 seconds in and can be heard for a few seconds.

Clutch noise - YouTube

Edit: If I had to describe the noise, I would say it sounds like a phone vibrating on the table

Last edited by nissubaru; 10-15-2019 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 08:24 AM   #2
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i MSport + 1990 300ZX TT

New video, you can hear it much better this time I think. It should be clearly audible from 2-3 seconds in for about 1 or 2 seconds. Then again at the 15 second mark until about the 17 second mark

The first one is the most obvious, I hear this noise allll the time just cruising around. I don't remember it from before but my clutch was also worn in.
Appreciate 0