E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > new turbos needed

10-21-2020, 12:26 PM   #45
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
I haven't yet. I am a teacher who coaches. So, my time is limited right now. Probably during the holidays, I'll get a chance to take her all apart. I'm going to be redoing my the rod bearings, tie rods, spark plugs & adding the new, special fitment for the updated LPFP.
What is this new, special fitment you speak of?
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 12:37 PM   #46
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Quote:
Think about it, most people would probably agree that you can run the stock turbos up to 500hp, but that they won't last a really long time at that level of HP.

RB OEM Billets, which have better bearings, better wastegates & slightly better wheels are underrated at 425hp. You could slap on a set of inlets & outlets with a custom tune abs hit 475hp easily. You'd still get 100,000 miles or more on a set of RB's at that level. If you ran them at the suggested 425, they'd go that much longer.
If I'm getting non stock turbos I'm definitely aiming for 600whp. Do they have a reliable set up? I'm still not sure if I stay stage2+ MHD or go for more.
The RB Game Finishers/Standard is listed at $3199.00. They are a TD04 style turbo. So, you will need 2" inlets & outlets for sure.

They are rated at 650hp

I think Rob will give you $300 for your old turbos & another nice discount, if you pay him by money order, wire transfer etc.

I paid him via wire transfer from my credit union & he had the money in his bank with in 24 hours.

So, I'd bet you "might" get the GmFinishers for $2600.00 or so if you pay him in cash & give him your old turbos.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 12:37 PM   #47
trb1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
This creates a feeling that kit failures are a common issue when in reality its not.
https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60614

Housings were machined improperly, so i don't know how it isn't a common issue.

I gave it the benefit of the doubt and bought new cartridges from them to rebuild stock turbos and they lasted a solid 500 miles before they were screaming and blowing massive amounts of smoke. Pulled them out and the wheels looked new, so you do the math.

Added bonus: I did the rebuild myself so that super cool warranty thing wasn't an option.
Appreciate 1
Torgus3781.50
      10-21-2020, 12:55 PM   #48
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdSM n54iS View Post
Are you doing labor yourself or expecting to pay ~$1200? Can't remember who said they get installs for that price
I'd be doing the labor for sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 01:44 PM   #49
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
I haven't yet. I am a teacher who coaches. So, my time is limited right now. Probably during the holidays, I'll get a chance to take her all apart. I'm going to be redoing my the rod bearings, tie rods, spark plugs & adding the new, special fitment for the updated LPFP.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 04:19 PM   #50
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdSM n54iS View Post
Are you doing labor yourself or expecting to pay ~$1200? Can't remember who said they get installs for that price
Mine were installed for $1200. If you shop around i cant imagine it’s that hard to find. Mine was a very reputable indy bmw/euro shop
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 04:42 PM   #51
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by trb1 View Post
https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60614

Housings were machined improperly, so i don't know how it isn't a common issue.

I gave it the benefit of the doubt and bought new cartridges from them to rebuild stock turbos and they lasted a solid 500 miles before they were screaming and blowing massive amounts of smoke. Pulled them out and the wheels looked new, so you do the math.

Added bonus: I did the rebuild myself so that super cool warranty thing wasn't an option.
you're probably right, i have seen a number of complaints on the forums as well. Im not too familiar with these cases, i commented on my own exeprience with them

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 04:57 PM   #52
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smgs1992 View Post
Mine were installed for $1200. If you shop around i cant imagine it’s that hard to find. Mine was a very reputable indy bmw/euro shop
That's a really good price, I'd consider that. My dealer wanted $2800

I asked that/brought it up for another thing to consider though. If someone is thinking of going OE route for free replacements and just pay for labor, well the labor won't always be the same price as it is today. Things change, shop could close or new ownership or just prices going up over time.

Or just diy'ing, the older you get the more you realize your time is actually more and more valuable as well so the labor isn't something to look forward to lol. The way I'm thinking of going is RB 2's and dialing boost back for only 425-450hp for increased longevity on top. You can always have a few different maps also with the extra headroom if desired. I think if you spec your turbos out properly, pushing them at reasonable boost levels along with correct supporting mods and proper maintenance including dual occ's and upkeep than you will have more advantages over OE including more fun.
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1366.00
      10-21-2020, 08:48 PM   #53
Agiantdildo
Rep
Drives: 2008 335I 6speed coupe

thanks for the suggestions guys.

yes all labor will be done by myself. I do all labor myself when it comes to my cars since I'm a bit anal about it and regular scheduled service imo only decreases life span.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 04:20 PM   #54
addictedtoboost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agiantdildo View Post

yes all labor will be done by myself. I do all labor myself when it comes to my cars since I'm a bit anal about it and regular scheduled service imo only decreases life span.
If you're still looking for a set of turbos I'll have a freshly rebuilt set of Pure600s for sale here in the next couple days.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 05:36 PM   #55
Agiantdildo
Rep
Drives: 2008 335I 6speed coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtoboost View Post
Quote:

If you're still looking for a set of turbos I'll have a freshly rebuilt set of Pure600s for sale here in the next couple days.
Quote:
Quote:

send me a pm with pics and price when you know
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 08:14 AM   #56
Jeef
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

pure600 is china junk too, no?

stock turbos for 500whp...? that's asking a lot lol
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 08:51 AM   #57
addictedtoboost
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Sure thing I should be getting them in today I believe. Just have to carefully open the box so I can reuse it again.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 09:04 AM   #58
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef View Post
pure600 is china junk too, no?

stock turbos for 500whp...? that's asking a lot lol
Pure Turbos are Not junk.

Yes asking for 500whp from stock turbos is a lot, they probably won't last long if driven at that power level frequently
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 11:13 AM   #59
addictedtoboost
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

I sent you a dm.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 11:23 AM   #60
thatblack335
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
looking for recommendations for reliable close to stock spec turbo replacements. my wastegates are giving up on life and I'm not trying to push the car overly hard as its mainly my kid hauler and daily driver. I'm just not willing to pay oem prices for something I know will eventually fail again.
I went with Garret 31mm's for a replacement. They have about 60 xxx km on them at the moment. Haven't had a single issue with them and they hit 16 psi no sweat and have no rattle.
Appreciate 0