E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dynamic Autowerx Turbochargers.

10-28-2019, 04:41 PM   #1
Knerr
I Have A Condition
Rep
Drives: 2007 6MT 335i upgraded twins

Dynamic Autowerx Turbochargers.

Ladies and gentlemen!

Our previous discussion got the 'ole Epstein treatment for one of many reasons which will never be clarified to us Poors. That doesn't matter and I understand because there was a suspicion that a vendor was trying to get free advertising.. K. cool. BUUUUUT for posterity's sake, there needsto be a thread on these lads.

Please. P L E A S E. For goodness' sake, Lets A, not shitpost with speculation on what is to come. Let's not degrade this into arguing about why a person "wouldn't buy ____ turbos instead", or why someone wouldn't just go single turbo, etc. Lets please keep this focused on pictures, first-hand experiences, numbers, mileage, purchase experiences, and inevitable warranty experiences.

We are not interested in price comparisons to the competition, who you voted for, why you did not and will not buy these turbos or anything along those lines.

If someone has bought one of these turbos, they understand the risks taken It is a new company with an unprecedented warranty. Most people that are on this website are capable, intelligent, functioning individuals who understand the risks associated with buying aftermarket twins for this platform, let alone from a newcomer to the market.

If these turbos are a good deal and end up being a reliable product, this thread should be and will be proof of that.

If this turbo manufacturer is a scammer selling a repackaged Hong Kong Howler and not making good on any warranties, This thread will serve to condemn the business.
Appreciate 3
      10-28-2019, 05:31 PM   #2
bimmerguy1210
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, E93 335i

Some real data on these turbos would be great. Whether they’re as good as PS2’s, or the next Hexon’s is all I and many others want to know. Hopefully the trolls stay away this time
Appreciate 2
Knerr106.00
      10-28-2019, 06:02 PM   #3
Knerr
I Have A Condition
Rep

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, I have bought a set of stage 2 Revised turbos (GTX s t y l e compressor wheel) on August 30th.

The turbos are not yet installed, so I cannot give any dyno numbers yet, and I did not take a lot of pictures when I had them in my possession because there are plenty of pictures and videos of these on Youtube and other groups.

So I am here to talk about my experience with the company, shipping, etc.

I heard about these back in early August as did most people and had been looking at them but kind of on the fence about whether or not I wanted to upgrade the turbos on my car. However, I had a business trip come up, kind of last-minute which brought me home to Atlanta, Ga. & thought "what the hell" I'll give these a shot. So I emailed Shawn on the 29th of August (the business owner) and told him my situation- that I would be in the states until the 14th of September, and if he was able to get the turbos to me by then, I would buy a set and hand-carry them back to the states. I live in Romania, which is seven hours ahead of EST, and it was late, so I went to bed. I woke up the next day to a response from him saying that if I sent the payment by the end of the day, he could have the turbos for me by the 14th.

On September 10th, I texted him asking if they had shipped yet as I was afraid they would not get to me in time for my flight back to Romania. He quickly responded saying it was not likely that they would get to me on time and that it would be best to ship them to Romania directly. This was frustrating, to say the least. I was concerned about the shipping cost as I had been quoted at $1600 to ship a cylinder head from New York to Romania previously AND because Shipping in Romania is very unreliable. I told him that I hated to be "that guy" but I think it would be best to sort out a refund.

He comes back saying that it's not an issue, they have shipped to Romania before without issue and provides me a $187 3 day DHL shipping quote to my Romanian address. I agree and move on.

On 18 September, He emailed me stating that they were ready to ship and re-verified my shipping address & I asked about ordering a set of inlets through him he said they would ship directly from VRSF and I said nevermind. I think this created some confusion, but I was under the impression that he was going to ship them at this point- I will take some of the blame as I never confirmed.

Then on the 25th, He emailed me again asking if I still wanted them to ship- Kudos to him because He wasn't rude in any way and seemed okay with the fact that I had mentioned a possible refund & he was not trying to force anything on me. I responded that I did want them to ship and that I was under the impression they already had. Shawn says no, they were waiting for confirmation. I responded that I was under the impression that they already had shipped and needed a paypal invoice for the shipping cost.
Long story short, we go back and forth with him re-confirming my address and playing email tag until the 29th when he finally sends me the invoice and I pay.

On October 2nd I emailed him because DHL tracking says that the package hasn't been picked up yet & there is radio silence. On the 3rd, DHL shows that it was dropped off at the local department.

This is where things went a bit sideways- It is not Dynamic Autowerx' fault as it was in the hands of the carrier at this point, BUT I did warn Shawn that I was uncomfortable with Shipping to Romania as I would have to pay a 20% tax on the product I was importing AND because shipping is awful in Romania. Not to mention it took a whole month to get the turbos shipped.

On October 9th I got an email from Shawn asking for a review of the turbos & I had literally just gotten off the phones with the Romanian DHL customer service department who were incompetent, to say the least. my exact response was "Fuck if I know, I still havent gotten them" and he responds that it makes no sense as DHL shows delivered on the 4th of October. Which was true- their tracking said "04 OCT Delivered, Craiova signed for by ______" and then above that it said"06 OCT Departed Leipzig Germany" and thats all it showed until the 16th when I actually received it. Apparently it got lost in the Romanian DHL customs department for about 10 days. & was only found because I got a regional manager in Arizona on the phone & he made them flip their entire storehouse to find my parts. Dude was a legend.

As I said, The shipping issues weren't entirely his fault, but if he had delivered the product on time, I would have had my turbos a month earlier and nod had to pay over $100 in taxes for a product I had already been taxed on. But he was right that he had a solution & I did not pay the $300 I had expected.

When I finally did have the turbos in hand, they seemed pretty nice. the little bit of shaft play that is to be expected of a dry journal bearing turbo was minimal, the welds on the wastegate and all the hardware seemed to be of high quality, all of the fasteners had witness marks, although some of them were more of marks showing they had been torqued rather than witness marks.... but most people don't do witness marks right, so I won't hold that against them LOL.

I took them to my mechanic, an 8-hour drive- but when you find a good trustworthy mechanic, you go nowhere else. Years ago, I would have done the install myself, but now with my work schedule, I don't have the time to invest in a project like this- plus being that I have a cracked head and coolant in my oil, and am in the middle of a complete rebuild... It is just too much for me to tackle on the weekends.

So this is where I am at. the car should be getting reassembled in the very near future, we are doing a completely new cooling circuit (oil was all throughout the cooling system as well and well... 13-year-old BMW cooling components), JE pistons, and an upgraded oil cooling solution. In addition to all my other mods, it should be a pretty fun streetcar. I bought this car last year to go to the Nurburgring and was signed up for a track day but was never able to attend. This spring I intend to take the car there and abuse these turbos all day over as many laps as possible! I reckon if they survive that and the 4,000 KM round trip over the Austrian Alps... they will prove their worth.

About the car:
2007 M Sport 6MT
Fresh built N54 with JE pistons
KW coil overs
M2 brakes
Upgraded Oil Cooler
DAW Stage 2 Revised turbos
Breyton Race GT 19" wheels
AZA Autowheel Alcantara/Leather wheel
A lot of cosmetics
Attached Images

Last edited by Knerr; 10-28-2019 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: Information omitted
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 06:03 PM   #4
Knerr
I Have A Condition
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy1210 View Post
Some real data on these turbos would be great. Whether they’re as good as PS2’s, or the next Hexon’s is all I and many others want to know. Hopefully the trolls stay away this time
My thoughts exactly.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 06:37 PM   #5
ragingpanda
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

There is already a set that failed within 100 miles.
Appreciate 3
SlimE92184.00
J. Dub354.00
      10-28-2019, 07:17 PM   #6
Cm452
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 335XI, stock...for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingpanda View Post
Source please 🙂
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 07:54 PM   #7
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a Pirate Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cm452 View Post
Source please ��
Two cases quoted from another forum:

Just heard a failure case they recently had this morning, declining warranty for having stock exhaust of all things.

I know of another failure as well, logs looked healthy, rear turbo is doing the death siren, though. WGDC peaked at 79% at 7000 rpm at 24psi.
He's still in the warranty process, but it sounded like the excuses were coming early. Hasn't posted yet since afraid of not getting service, but we'll see what happens.
J. Dub354.00
      10-28-2019, 09:37 PM   #8
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Quote:
Actually a few sets. With one claim being denied due to him still running a factory exhaust which is ridiculous imo.
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2019, 11:01 PM   #9
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: All Things TurboCharged

FWIW I did the green color. Different, looks clean. /backtoturbotalk
Appreciate 2
Knerr106.00
      10-29-2019, 06:47 AM   #10
Knerr
I Have A Condition
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimE92 View Post
Actually a few sets. With one claim being denied due to him still running a factory exhaust which is ridiculous imo.
I have only seen one first-hand account of a turbo failing within 100 Miles. Well actually, after searching for a while last night, I only found one first-hand example of them failing. Still... It is unsettling. But As I said previously. I knew the risks when I bought these. Thankfully Labor in Romania is about 1/4 of what it is in the states LOL
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2019, 07:54 AM   #11
RJC612
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

where are the facts? what type of failure did this set have at 100 miles? and furthermore, was it manufacutring related or install error? you cant have a thrust bearing failing for example in 100 miles without there being manufacturing flaws or faulty parts. or did the dude run no filters and ingest something to the compressor wheel? there is more to this story than "the turbos failed after 100 miles"
      10-29-2019, 08:00 AM   #12
ragingpanda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC612 View Post
where are the facts? what type of failure did this set have at 100 miles? and furthermore, was it manufacutring related or install error? you cant have a thrust bearing failing for example in 100 miles without there being manufacturing flaws or faulty parts. or did the dude run no filters and ingest something to the compressor wheel? there is more to this story than "the turbos failed after 100 miles"
Here comes the number 1 DAW nutswinger.
Appreciate 7
SlimE92184.00
fredcase260.50
b92538.00
J. Dub354.00
SJ_198938.50
Torgus3779.00
      10-29-2019, 09:12 AM   #13
Knerr
I Have A Condition
Rep

Quote:
It's NoGuru He was in on the other thread that was deleted- The guy that is relatively local to Dynamic Autowerx' shop. According to what he said on the SS thread- And what would have been said on 90post if the thread hadn't vanished, they suspect a seal failed on the rear turbo and the turbos are being taken to Shawn for him to review.

Quote:
Unnecessary.

Last edited by Knerr; 10-29-2019 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: Incomplete sentence.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 09:20 AM   #14
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM3Rrrr View Post
Two cases quoted from another forum:

Just heard a failure case they recently had this morning, declining warranty for having stock exhaust of all things.

I know of another failure as well, logs looked healthy, rear turbo is doing the death siren, though. WGDC peaked at 79% at 7000 rpm at 24psi.
He's still in the warranty process, but it sounded like the excuses were coming early. Hasn't posted yet since afraid of not getting service, but we'll see what happens.
How does that qualify as a source though. You don't even link to the original source.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 09:34 AM   #15
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
How does that qualify as a source though. You don't even link to the original source.
Srsly? It was corroborated by at least 3 other members here.

Were you a juror on the OJ trial by chance?
Appreciate 1
J. Dub354.00
      10-29-2019, 09:40 AM   #16
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Srsly? It was corroborated by at least 3 other members here.

Were you a juror on the OJ trial by chance?
Well, yeah. Usually when you then look into the source you can see the context and all. It really doesn't work as a source just text like that. If I google the quote I can't even find the post either linking to the other forum. Why not just link it.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 11:05 AM   #17
RJC612
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
well u started shitposting quick. if u have nothing productive to say then dont post. i am stimulating thoughtful conversation, you are not. i just dont buy the bullshit, thats the difference between me and you. just bc someone says something on a forum doesnt make it true or the whole story. you wanna make claims provide evidence
      10-29-2019, 11:17 AM   #18
RJC612
Private First Class
Rep

Okay so "they suspect a seal failed on the rear turbo" is all we are working with here? Bc thats not much for evidence and let me guess, he is only even claiming the turbo seal failed because he has smoke coming out the exhaust which means there are lots of other potential causes for that symptom and that also means the actual turbo failure is not yet confirmed. They will discover the truth of that when they tear down the turbos. Yall must be physically exhausted jumping to conclusions like that.

If its true and the seal is bad, Shawn is just going to rebuild them and lets say something else happened and worse case scenario the chra needs to be replaced, Shawn charges like $300 to replace the chra which means even if it isnt warrantied you arent on the hook for the whole cost of the turbos to have them rebuilt and brought back to functional. I know this bc i bothered to ask
      10-29-2019, 12:05 PM   #19
ragingpanda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Okay so "they suspect a seal failed on the rear turbo" is all we are working with here? Bc thats not much for evidence and let me guess, he is only even claiming the turbo seal failed because he has smoke coming out the exhaust which means there are lots of other potential causes for that symptom and that also means the actual turbo failure is not yet confirmed. They will discover the truth of that when they tear down the turbos. Yall must be physically exhausted jumping to conclusions like that.

If its true and the seal is bad, Shawn is just going to rebuild them and lets say something else happened and worse case scenario the chra needs to be replaced, Shawn charges like $300 to replace the chra which means even if it isnt warrantied you arent on the hook for the whole cost of the turbos to have them rebuilt and brought back to functional. I know this bc i bothered to ask
You know it's pretty bad when the said owner of these turbos wishes he could of spent a little more for pure turbos so he wouldn't be in this situation. Since you are Shawns personal nutswinger, do you know if he will cover the poor guys installation labor since it was done at a professional shop? What does the 3 year warranty cover exactly nutswinger?
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2019, 12:18 PM   #20
RJC612
Private First Class
Rep

you are comedy. the turbo owners opinion is the turbo owners opinion. he can wish he bought whatever he wants. would you mind coming to meet me in person so i can point and laugh in your face? otherwise if you are done asking rhetorical questions maybe we can get back on topic ragingconsumerbrandwhore
      10-29-2019, 12:18 PM   #21
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

This subject and thread is almost as entertaining as a public forum discussing politics.

Bravo!
Appreciate 3
RJC612138.50
J. Dub354.00
      10-29-2019, 12:33 PM   #22
Knerr
I Have A Condition
Rep

Quote:

I mean, If I was in this guy's situation I would be furious. I dont care if it were fixed and the manufacturer paid for shipping, labor, and a night out on the town, I would be furious over my time lost. The money isn't a big deal, but another month without my car. That is what would bother me.

Quote:
You know it's pretty bad when the said owner of these turbos wishes he could of spent a little more for pure turbos so he wouldn't be in this situation. Since you are Shawns personal nutswinger, do you know if he will cover the poor guys installation labor since it was done at a professional shop? What does the 3 year warranty cover exactly nutswinger?
Building on my point of if the manufacturer paid for everything..... why Does everyone on this platform expect warranties to cover labor? everybody loves to comment about the "unprecedented" 3-year warranty, but in the same breath expect the manufacturer to cover labor? would Garrett or PTE do that?

And yeah.. Seems to me someone bought these turbos strictly because they were cheap and thought they found a good deal. I bought them because I wanted to see if they'll work AND if they fail... I'll tell my wife that its a design flaw of the original turbos & then she won't fuss over the price of a proper single kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
This subject and thread is almost as entertaining as a public forum discussing politics.

Bravo!
Yeah. This is embarrassing. This thread will go the same way the last one did because a couple of posters can't not talk shit about each other long enough to have a straightforward discussion.
Appreciate 0