E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > MHD Stage 2 335is not passing NC inspection

10-24-2020, 12:32 PM   #1
alex-e92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

MHD Stage 2 335is not passing NC inspection

Hey guys, I'm in an FBO 335is with catless dp's and was trying to get my car inspected at a local shop. Ive taken it in 4 times and its failed all 4 times. I used to be on a cobb accessport and had no problems, but now on MHD it wont pass. The culprit is the O2 and Catalyst not ready sensors, is there any option with all of the updates MHD has had to get through this situation? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 01:20 PM   #2
rismo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335

Flash it to stage 0?
Reset the cat/o2 adaption before your check
Check if that works to have the right sensor state, you can do that with a OBD reader before you go in.
BMW 335 E92 09 - Full options - DKG - MHD by Buraq - RB Next Gen - RB Inlets/Outlet - Forge Diverter Valves - AR Catless DP - Afe Intake - Helix IC - FuelIT Stage 2 LPFP - Ar Oil Cooler - PPK Water Cooler - M3 Suspension - JRZ RS1 Shocks - Eibach Pro Springs - Drexler LSD - BMW IS Exhaust - Carbon Endurance Brake Pads - Stainless Steel Brake Lines - M101 Wheels - Michelin PS2 - M-Tech Body - M-Strutbar
BMW M550i G30 2019 - BM3
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 01:31 PM   #3
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Read through this, do the drive cycle that is linked:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1260475
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 02:33 PM   #4
Ten-Zing
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i x-drive MT

If I lived in a state that did emissions I would do this:

Get a PO Box in Montana or create an LLC. Forward all your mail through that PO Box or LLC.

Register vehicle in MT.

Have no emissions requirements.

I have a relative and a couple of friends that do this because they have giant garages full of very expensive vehicles. Montana has no sales tax on vehicles and smog is not required. If you bought a $150,000.00 car in MN, you'd pay $9,000.00 in sales tax.

Sounds crazy I know, but states need to realize that smogging is idiotic to do. Reduce the taxes / burden for vehicle owners and enough people will buy new enough vehicles that smogging is moot point.
Appreciate 4
ghynds4.50
Bobh5952.00
Vivek.1366.00
Smgs1992720.00
      10-25-2020, 06:46 PM   #5
Slim415
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

I'm in the same place you are man. I have a 2011 e92 335is and I put the engine back to stock. Flashed the MHD back to stock and after 4 months of normal driving still the O2 not ready. I have also done the drive cycle countless times and still not ready. I'm at my wits end with this car. I've heard others have had this problem with the O2 not being ready on the 335is models. I don't know of a solution. I was just coming here to post on it right now. Please let me know if you find a way to pass.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 07:40 PM   #6
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim415 View Post
I'm in the same place you are man. I have a 2011 e92 335is and I put the engine back to stock. Flashed the MHD back to stock and after 4 months of normal driving still the O2 not ready. I have also done the drive cycle countless times and still not ready. I'm at my wits end with this car. I've heard others have had this problem with the O2 not being ready on the 335is models. I don't know of a solution. I was just coming here to post on it right now. Please let me know if you find a way to pass.
Did you flash to stock, or stage 0?
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 12:29 AM   #7
Slim415
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdSM n54iS View Post
Quote:
Did you flash to stock, or stage 0?
Stage 0 I think? Whatever the option is for "stock with MHD remains installed".
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 09:56 AM   #8
theobjectivist
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i

Quote:
Neither you or OP mentioned it. You're running the DP fix, right?
Its plugged in properly and the resistance set to spec?

You can get catalyst ready with Stock or Stage 0
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 10:56 AM   #9
alex-e92
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theobjectivist View Post
Quote:

I am not running a DP fix, I came over from the Cobb Accessport so I never needed it until now I guess. I also havent flashed back to stock yet as I am new to MHD and havent really learned the curves yet. I don't have my accessport anymore and now im kicking myself for it lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 11:47 AM   #10
Slim415
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Not using DP fix. I put the stock DPs back in for SMOG
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 12:25 PM   #11
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i MSport + 1990 300ZX TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex-e92 View Post
I am not running a DP fix, I came over from the Cobb Accessport so I never needed it until now I guess. I also havent flashed back to stock yet as I am new to MHD and havent really learned the curves yet. I don't have my accessport anymore and now im kicking myself for it lol.
Not sure how Accessport was able to get you to pass, if you can't do the same with MHD. If you have the downpipe codes disabled within MHD there is nothing you can do to get it to set readiness. Readiness is simply disabled. You have to flash back to stock and use a dpfix in order to set the readiness as well as go through a drive cycle. I've set readiness twice now using dpfix after having my car tuned months previously. Basically set the dpfix up a day or so before going in for inspection, do the drive cycle, get all the readiness monitors set and then I take it in. Get inspected, remove dpfix and flash back to stage 2+
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 12:27 PM   #12
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i MSport + 1990 300ZX TT

Quote:
I think you can reset adaptations for the O2s which should help you. Or disconnect your battery and reconnect.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 04:08 PM   #13
theobjectivist
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Im not familiar with AP but as far as Im aware, cobb, (or any app) cant force readiness. Im uncertain how you were able to pass before. You didnt add the DPs later on, after the initial registration and forget?

For MHD, youll def need a DP fix or replace the stock cats. If adding the fix, allow yourself enough time to experiment with settings, and even after you show ready, youll only have a short window before a code trips. Remember to set the option in mhd for OEM cats. Failure to do so and the readiness will never come. Good news is that you cna get readiness in ~5 mins or so. I had to do this a good 10 #%$^&* times so i have it down pat.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 04:14 PM   #14
theobjectivist
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

I agree with above poster: Youll want to reset adaptions before hitting the road.

And you dont need to do the ridiculous, super long drive cycle you see posted on the forums. e.g - No need to keep under X mph for X time etc. Just drive a bit in city, hit highway, blast it a a time a two and it should update. Im able to do it in less than 10 miles

make sure you dont have it set for DPs in mhd. Under the flash options (even on 0) youll have access to the OEM cat tick box

And if theres any chance youre using jb4 along with mhd, make sure it's set to map0
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 05:17 PM   #15
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I agree with above poster: Youll want to reset adaptions before hitting the road.

And you dont need to do the ridiculous, super long drive cycle you see posted on the forums. e.g - No need to keep under X mph for X time etc. Just drive a bit in city, hit highway, blast it a a time a two and it should update. Im able to do it in less than 10 miles

make sure you dont have it set for DPs in mhd. Under the flash options (even on 0) youll have access to the OEM cat tick box

And if theres any chance youre using jb4 along with mhd, make sure it's set to map0
I'm curious does this work for catless dp's also? I've got COBB catted and haven't had an issue, but that's also b/c I have the catted dp box checked since technically they are lol. I will be getting around to putting some resonated dp's on and was wondering if that would still work or a dp fix is needed
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 08:06 AM   #16
alex-e92
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I flashed the car back to stage 0 yesterday and didn't tick the dp's box. I live in NC so i can have one "not ready" code, and that's usually for the cats. All i need are the O2 and Catalysts to show "ready" and i'm good. Do I seriously have to put the stock dp's back on the car though? That seems like overkill. And also i do not have a dp fix as i've never needed one. Car did fine all through its life with the accessport in regards to passing inspection.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 11:20 AM   #17
Rickygst
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I don't think MHD is causing the problem. I pass emission without flashing back to stock. My state also allows you to have one not ready code and you pass. You need to see which codes are not ready before you go to test. you can use the torque app to see this.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 11:41 AM   #18
Slim415
Second Lieutenant
Rep

You guys are so damn lucky! Try living in California and SMOG'ing your car. The techs are like emission Nazi's. When the guy was talking to me on his break he was like "so what mods have you done, looks like a highly modified car". And I said what I did but reiterated that I put it all back to stock for SMOG. Then he casually asked if I was gonna put the parts back on after to which I said "yea I will in time". The dick then ran back and wrote notes on my smog form "customer will put illegal downpipes on car after SMOG". He said he was going to send it to the DMV and told me to never come back to the shop again. This is a place I've been going to for over 10 years now.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 01:56 PM   #19
theobjectivist
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I'm curious does this work for catless dp's also? I've got COBB catted and haven't had an issue, but that's also b/c I have the catted dp box checked since technically they are lol. I will be getting around to putting some resonated dp's on and was wondering if that would still work or a dp fix is needed

Correct. The DP fix is solely for catless DPs that trip the ECU.

Your current cobb DPs are catted so as long as your car doesnt throw a check engine when running on the stock tune, then youre OK. (note that the other tune/stages disable the CEL so dont use as a reference),

If the resonated DPs you speak of are catless, you will need the fix regardless of any settings you chose in MHD.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 02:29 PM   #20
theobjectivist
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I flashed the car back to stage 0 yesterday and didn't tick the dp's box. I live in NC so i can have one "not ready" code, and that's usually for the cats. All i need are the O2 and Catalysts to show "ready" and i'm good. Do I seriously have to put the stock dp's back on the car though? That seems like overkill. And also i do not have a dp fix as i've never needed one. Car did fine all through its life with the accessport in regards to passing inspection.

So they allow one monitor (of any type) to show unready? That explains how the AP allowed you to pass. You should be able to achieve the same with MHD, So no, you dont need the DP fix or OEM cats.

Clarify for me: when you initially tested and failed, what stage were you on and did you have the OEM/Catted DPs box ticked?

Did you screen capture the readiness status?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 02:35 PM   #21
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Correct. The DP fix is solely for catless DPs that trip the ECU.

Your current cobb DPs are catted so as long as your car doesnt throw a check engine when running on the stock tune, then youre OK. (note that the other tune/stages disable the CEL so dont use as a reference),

If the resonated DPs you speak of are catless, you will need the fix regardless of any settings you chose in MHD.
Oh you were saying DON'T check the OEM/Catted box in MHD when using the dp fix for catless, cool
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 03:05 PM   #22
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
Oh you were saying DON'T check the OEM/Catted box in MHD when using the dp fix for catless, cool
If you don't check the box even on stage 0 you will have the same issue you have now I believe, you need to check the box and then you will probably only get one not ready but you will get a check engine light - I think the cobb AP suppressed the light I am guessing. If you time it right you can get the 02 ready but the catalyst will take a few on off cycles I think before it sets a check engine light, so if you can get it inspected as soon as you get to just one not ready before it sets the light you can pull it off, or do a DPFix so you get all things ready.
Appreciate 0