E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Car Limping ALOT Lately.. HPFP??

09-06-2009, 01:27 AM   #1
rollyn2night
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Garage List
07 e92 335i  [0.00]
Car Limping ALOT Lately.. HPFP??

Whats up guys. I am having issues with my car lately. Ive had my 335i for exactly a year now, and this is the first time its been limping soo much.

In the past year, my car limped twice, both while racing with I had the jb3 1.1. Now my car has been bone stock for these past 2 months with the exception of the injen DCI. I also had a jb+ but I removed it a few moths back and I cleared all of the codes. In these last 2 months, my car has limped about 4 times and every time while i was doing some spirited driving in DS mode, but nothing too crazy.

Also I noticed when I start my car and sometimes it makes a weird noise form the exhause, kinda like a metal clamp. and soemtimes when I start my car, I fell it shiver..Any idea if my hpfp is going out or something else?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

sounds like it
      09-07-2009, 08:33 AM   #3
BavarianBullet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollyn2night View Post
Whats up guys. I am having issues with my car lately. Ive had my 335i for exactly a year now, and this is the first time its been limping soo much.

In the past year, my car limped twice, both while racing with I had the jb3 1.1. Now my car has been bone stock for these past 2 months with the exception of the injen DCI. I also had a jb+ but I removed it a few moths back and I cleared all of the codes. In these last 2 months, my car has limped about 4 times and every time while i was doing some spirited driving in DS mode, but nothing too crazy.

Also I noticed when I start my car and sometimes it makes a weird noise form the exhause, kinda like a metal clamp. and soemtimes when I start my car, I fell it shiver..Any idea if my hpfp is going out or something else?
Hard to say IMO. Most of the above sounds somewhat normal except the shaking/shiver on startup- it depends on how bad the shiver was. If it was really noticeable, it could be a HPFP. Usually HPFPs go out pretty quick once they start showing problems.

The dead giveaway would be long cranks or loss of power and limps while driving.

How many miles on it? If it's an 07 you are probably overdue for spark plugs. These N54s seem to go through plugs much faster than other engines with 20k miles being about the expected life in real world use. You can probably run a bit longer on the plugs but it wouldn't be optimal and could cause some rough running etc.
Appreciate 0