E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Any way to Bench test disa valves

11-09-2018, 06:32 PM   #1
e36ti
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i sport

Any way to Bench test disa valves

Searched but couldn't find... Is there a way to Bench test the disa valves without inpa and attached to the car. Can only find info on e46 models. I'm thinking it should be as easy as applying a voltage to get them to move the question is how much voltage and which pins

Tx
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 08:24 PM   #2
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 / F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36ti View Post
Searched but couldn't find... Is there a way to Bench test the disa valves without inpa and attached to the car. Can only find info on e46 models. I'm thinking it should be as easy as applying a voltage to get them to move the question is how much voltage and which pins

Tx
I think you could be the first one to do it. I would say apply 12v and there are only 2pins.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 08:50 PM   #3
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

They are PWM controlled - so an on/off voltage is not going to work.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 12:22 AM   #4
e36ti
Private
Rep

Thanks for the input guys anything definite... There are actually 3 pins
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 06:07 AM   #5
johnmyster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 n52

If it was a "three phase" brushless motor, it would be easy enough to hook to a controller. However, when I had one open, I'm pretty sure there's a little control board in there next to the motor...but perhaps that's only for feedback back to the computer. Keep in mind, part of the test would be to see if you get full actuation in the time that the computer has allotted for the valve to open and close. When valves get sticky and slow, my experience is that they don't fully actuate, because the drive signal from the computer is something like a half second.

I test all the valves I sell. I unplug the wire from my large DISA, plug in the candidate valve (large or small) and use INPA to cycle. Fast cycles, good. Slow, incomplete cycles, bad. Throws error code, bad. Slop in the shaft revealed, bad. If they're bad, I trash them or return to my junkyard suppliers for refund. I always mark them with a big paint-pen "X" to make sure they don't return to me.

Lately I'm seeing a 80% failure rate on small valves, and 40% on large ones. If the large one doesn't have mechanical deterioration, it's usually good. The small valve is always mechanically solid, but frequently gummed up and doesn't fully cycle. Anything I junkyard harvest from before 2008, I just assume the valves are bad. BMW revised each model during the product life. It just wasn't a robust design. Lightweight, compact, and cheap to produce, but not lightweight. It only triggers a shadow code when bad, so most of the X3, X5, 530, and n51 drivers are unaware that they're missing the power/torque they should have.

Since the small valve triggers at lower RPM, in my driving it gets triggered about four times as often as the large. (INPA shows a counter.) I suspect that in its position, oil is more likely to get past the seal and into the motor.

Last edited by johnmyster; 11-12-2018 at 06:15 AM..
Appreciate 4
scanspeak353.50
Bufalo124.00
Thorin117.50
      11-13-2018, 03:07 PM   #6
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmyster View Post
If it was a "three phase" brushless motor, it would be easy enough to hook to a controller. However, when I had one open, I'm pretty sure there's a little control board in there next to the motor...but perhaps that's only for feedback back to the computer. Keep in mind, part of the test would be to see if you get full actuation in the time that the computer has allotted for the valve to open and close. When valves get sticky and slow, my experience is that they don't fully actuate, because the drive signal from the computer is something like a half second.

I test all the valves I sell. I unplug the wire from my large DISA, plug in the candidate valve (large or small) and use INPA to cycle. Fast cycles, good. Slow, incomplete cycles, bad. Throws error code, bad. Slop in the shaft revealed, bad. If they're bad, I trash them or return to my junkyard suppliers for refund. I always mark them with a big paint-pen "X" to make sure they don't return to me.

Lately I'm seeing a 80% failure rate on small valves, and 40% on large ones. If the large one doesn't have mechanical deterioration, it's usually good. The small valve is always mechanically solid, but frequently gummed up and doesn't fully cycle. Anything I junkyard harvest from before 2008, I just assume the valves are bad. BMW revised each model during the product life. It just wasn't a robust design. Lightweight, compact, and cheap to produce, but not lightweight. It only triggers a shadow code when bad, so most of the X3, X5, 530, and n51 drivers are unaware that they're missing the power/torque they should have.

Since the small valve triggers at lower RPM, in my driving it gets triggered about four times as often as the large. (INPA shows a counter.) I suspect that in its position, oil is more likely to get past the seal and into the motor.
Assume that you can only test via INPA if you already are coded with the 330i tune? Or is it somehow possible to test without since you physically have the cables in a 328i?

When you have to source DISAs do you have retail ones you trust? I understand that junkyard pulls get you the best deals, but when you have to replace, is there one you'd recommend other than OE?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 06:02 PM   #7
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Assume that you can only test via INPA if you already are coded with the 330i tune? Or is it somehow possible to test without since you physically have the cables in a 328i?

When you have to source DISAs do you have retail ones you trust? I understand that junkyard pulls get you the best deals, but when you have to replace, is there one you'd recommend other than OE?
also interested in this.

I'd like to test them before I do the swap and firmware change.

can tell me the place in INPA to get to the test menu and I can plug it all in and see.
this seems like something ISTA may be able to do, so I'll look under the service menu as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 07:09 PM   #8
johnmyster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 n52

I'm not familiar with aftermarket suppliers.

In INPA, component triggering, actuator activations 1.
Appreciate 2
Bufalo124.00
      11-13-2018, 08:40 PM   #9
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

I'll try and have a go at that tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 10:16 AM   #10
e36ti
Private
Rep

Were you able to trigger the valves via inpa without dme reflash? I have access to an n51 car but like to avoid touching it to test valves. In another note I'm thinking these valves are just servos like the ones used in rc cars and planes that have 3 wire leads... I may connect a sacrificial valve up that way to test movement but inpa seems to be the definitive answer
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 11:22 AM   #11
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

it's been super shitty outside, and I haven't gotten to it.

not that motivated..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 03:26 AM   #12
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well, bittersweet moment here. I can confirm that you can test DISAs on a 328i with MSV80 WITHOUT first flashing the DME. So while the results (both DISAs dont actuate well) are less than positive, at least I know ahead of my install (instead of during).

Now I'll let smarter people chime in here as perhaps for some reason the flash not being on is the reason, but since open is fast and close is a half-shut disaster, I'll assume the worst.

Anyway, here's the vid:
Appreciate 1
Bufalo124.00
      12-09-2018, 10:27 PM   #13
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Yeah, I think that confirms the DISA is no good. The stock DME can activate them, it's just the load/rpm thresholds are all wrong.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 01:12 AM   #14
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
Yeah, I think that confirms the DISA is no good. The stock DME can activate them, it's just the load/rpm thresholds are all wrong.
Yeah hoping a rebuild kit can fix it and that it's not the servo itself.
Appreciate 0