E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > New AA Tune (2017 updated version)

08-10-2017, 05:12 PM   #67
Pidipompi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by N52UNED View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidipompi View Post
I was looking at BPC right now.
And just saw this
... if you're only adding a tune it doesn't apply to you, unless you're planning on changing your exhaust system as well (ie. deleting cats, headers without cats, muffler delete, resonator delete, etc). As long as you keep your exhaust stock you should be good to go.
I have a muffler and resonator delete but just passed smog 2 weeks ago with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 05:13 PM   #68
Pidipompi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinm0 View Post
Quote:
Gotta find someone who can ship to CA .
Unless I go with the AA tune.
hassmachine is correct. BPC is just putting that out there to cover themselves. Unless you are bypassing O2s or running non-catted headers you will be fine. I think AA possibly does the same if you go for their O2 bypass tune.
Alrighty thank you for the info, I'll go ahead with BPC then.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 05:16 PM   #69
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Hey guys I live in California and I'm all new to tuning. I have a 2006 330xi with 130k all bone stock; only have a muffler and resonator delete.

I was intended to buy a BMS powerbox but I read on other forums that it isn't worth it and that you should spend money on an actual tune.

I'm really looking to getting an AA tune because BPC is looking a little to pricey for me.

Is it worth for the money for one?
Do not waste your money and time on the power box.

There are Countless posts on the futility of these things.

It's only going to spoof your throttle position and maybe change your fuel air mixture a little richer. Something your 330 does not really need.

Save up a few more coins and get a real tune.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2017, 05:21 PM   #70
Pidipompi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Quote:
Hey guys I live in California and I'm all new to tuning. I have a 2006 330xi with 130k all bone stock; only have a muffler and resonator delete.

I was intended to buy a BMS powerbox but I read on other forums that it isn't worth it and that you should spend money on an actual tune.

I'm really looking to getting an AA tune because BPC is looking a little to pricey for me.

Is it worth for the money for one?
Do not waste your money and time on the power box.

There are Countless posts on the futility of these things.

It's only going to spoof your throttle position and maybe change your fuel air mixture a little richer. Something your 330 does not really need.

Save up a few more coins and get a real tune.
Agree.
I'm gonna go ahead with BPC.
It was just that I sorta persuaded by the reviews on BMS and how great the product was.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 10:40 AM   #71
claasmi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
I got my tune from AA in July 2017, would I have this newer tune already or would they have just given me the previous 'version 2' tune? The tune file they sent me has Stg4_4.7.1v_Rev2 in the name.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 10:51 AM   #72
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by claasmi View Post
I got my tune from AA in July 2017, would I have this newer tune already or would they have just given me the previous 'version 2' tune? The tune file they sent me has Stg4_4.7.1v_Rev2 in the name.
Ask them directly.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 01:34 PM   #73
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Just a quick update:
I had SES light come on shortly after the tune was installed indicating o2 sensor faults. Tried clearing the codes, but they would come back shortly afterward. So, for the past 500 miles I dove with SES light on. So here is the irony: I ordered new O2 sensors yesterday and today the stupid SES light goes away all by itself.

I'll swap sensors anyways. But just frustrating.

Regarding the tune: car feels strong and smooth. Idle is solid. I just love the smoothness, but miss BPC torque. I will be scheduling a dyno appointment for coming weeks.
Appreciate 2
      08-19-2017, 03:35 PM   #74
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
Just a quick update:
I had SES light come on shortly after the tune was installed indicating o2 sensor faults. Tried clearing the codes, but they would come back shortly afterward. So, for the past 500 miles I dove with SES light on. So here is the irony: I ordered new O2 sensors yesterday and today the stupid SES light goes away all by itself.

I'll swap sensors anyways. But just frustrating.

Regarding the tune: car feels strong and smooth. Idle is solid. I just love the smoothness, but miss BPC torque. I will be scheduling a dyno appointment for coming weeks.
Looking forward to the dyno. Thanks for doing this!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 09:19 AM   #75
yupetc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 X535i

I just received the update from Nic at AA. Installed yesterday, drove it around town and enjoyed the much beloved power increase. I have 3IM, AA headers, intake scoop, euro-intake, K&N filter, silicon intake hose. The newest tune really brings life to my car compared to the previous tune.

However, I'm also getting the annoying 2D59 issues on every drive. Just like it was described earlier in the posts, but I actually get the error every time I drive. It could be 2 miles or 20 miles, it's really random in my case. I've reverted back to my previous tune and wrote an email to Nic for a fix.

does anyone with this issue actually get a true fix from AA yet? Just wondering because I would really want this new tune but I cannot afford the unexpectable danger when cruising on the road and go into limp mode abruptly.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 12:06 PM   #76
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupetc View Post
I just received the update from Nic at AA. Installed yesterday, drove it around town and enjoyed the much beloved power increase. I have 3IM, AA headers, intake scoop, euro-intake, K&N filter, silicon intake hose. The newest tune really brings life to my car compared to the previous tune.

However, I'm also getting the annoying 2D59 issues on every drive. Just like it was described earlier in the posts, but I actually get the error every time I drive. It could be 2 miles or 20 miles, it's really random in my case. I've reverted back to my previous tune and wrote an email to Nic for a fix.

does anyone with this issue actually get a true fix from AA yet? Just wondering because I would really want this new tune but I cannot afford the unexpectable danger when cruising on the road and go into limp mode abruptly.
that is the main reason I still have the old tune. Im due for e test in 5 months and currently only have one no ready monitor. Car pulls strong right now , I m not sure if I want to be greedy and mess it up for a 5-10 hp increase

decisions , decision
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 08:10 PM   #77
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

I actually ended up swapping my O2 sensors - put 2 brand new ones. O2 code came back, so I ended up flashing BPC tune back on the car. At this point I have no intention on flashing AA tune back as I actually enjoy extra TQ from BPC tune.

Maybe sometime next year I will do it, but for now, dynoing new AA tune is out of the question - unless someone will pay for dyno run - it's $120. If you pay for the dyno run, I will gladly take the car to get it done.

Otherwise, hopefully, I will be spending that $$ on milvs.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 08:23 PM   #78
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan

Do the MILVs work on the N51 as well? I wouldn't think that the difference in the piston design between the N51 and N52 would matter much no?
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 09:32 PM   #79
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1oh7 View Post
Do the MILVs work on the N51 as well? I wouldn't think that the difference in the piston design between the N51 and N52 would matter much no?
Should work the same on both engines. Keep in mind that you will need a tune to get full benefit of them.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 11:46 AM   #80
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
So is the general consensus that the current AA tune will give you a limp mode error due to too much torque? Or am I missing something...
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 01:16 PM   #81
xwilkinx
Straight Edge
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 • E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosphericM View Post
So is the general consensus that the current AA tune will give you a limp mode error due to too much torque? Or am I missing something...
Some people will experience a 2D59 fault, which is torque overflow. It doesn't happen to everyone, but it does happen to me. It will trigger limp mode until you restart the car.

AA sent me a revised tune which prevents the limp mode, but I assume it's a detuned version from the typical tune.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 02:26 PM   #82
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwilkinx View Post
Some people will experience a 2D59 fault, which is torque overflow. It doesn't happen to everyone, but it does happen to me. It will trigger limp mode until you restart the car.

AA sent me a revised tune which prevents the limp mode, but I assume it's a detuned version from the typical tune.
that sucks ! . I m surprised AA has not come out with a official release statement or something. Maybe I missed it

At this point , for me at least , custom tune is the best way to go . Too bad I live far from BPC or AA.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 02:54 PM   #83
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:

Why would you assume that AA detuned it? I'm pretty sure that's not required.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 03:14 PM   #84
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Is that just for automatics?

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 03:20 PM   #85
yupetc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 X535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Why would you assume that AA detuned it? I'm pretty sure that's not required.

It is detuned, I have the limp mode issue and Nic from AA sent sent me a revision. In the email he did mention it is a slightly detuned version admittingly.

I uploaded the revision and drove it for 2 weeks, so far I only experienced 1 incidence with limp mode. For that I wouldn't want to notify AA again and get a further detune.

With the issues afloat on AA's recent revision, I am compelled to say here that the first revision which gave me the limp mode on every start is the best tune. Very aggressive and car just moves! I just hope that instead of detuning it to get under the torque limit, it would be superb if AA just address the torque limit problem by disabling the limiter. For our automatic E90's the limiter is probably there for protection. But I'm really bummed out now. With all the mods on my car I know the car can be pretty peppy, but with detuning, it just sucks. I don't want to bad mouth AA, so I'll just live with what I got for now.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 05:06 PM   #86
xwilkinx
Straight Edge
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 • E92 M3

Quote:
It is detuned, I have the limp mode issue and Nic from AA sent sent me a revision. In the email he did mention it is a slightly detuned version admittingly.

I uploaded the revision and drove it for 2 weeks, so far I only experienced 1 incidence with limp mode. For that I wouldn't want to notify AA again and get a further detune.

With the issues afloat on AA's recent revision, I am compelled to say here that the first revision which gave me the limp mode on every start is the best tune. Very aggressive and car just moves! I just hope that instead of detuning it to get under the torque limit, it would be superb if AA just address the torque limit problem by disabling the limiter. For our automatic E90's the limiter is probably there for protection. But I'm really bummed out now. With all the mods on my car I know the car can be pretty peppy, but with detuning, it just sucks. I don't want to bad mouth AA, so I'll just live with what I got for now.
Totally agree with you here.

From talking with Nic the the culprit of the limp mode is a particular offending torque map.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 11:12 AM   #87
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
Is that just for automatics?
?? Would this issue not apply to 6MT cars?

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 05:52 PM   #88
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

It can affect MTs too.
Appreciate 0