Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Traction Control comming on for no reason.

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-21-2018, 03:08 PM   #1
Jyamaharider713
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E92

Traction Control comming on for no reason.

Ok I have 11 e92 335i rwd. Car has 35k on it. Tires were bald so I just replaced the oem tires last night with a set of snow tires. Same exact size tires. I was driving the car today and when I get on it the tracking control was coming on... I was on dry pavement. If I turned the traction control off and got on it its fine. Any idea why this is happening? Is it just a coincidence that it happened right when I put new tires on?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 07:51 AM   #2
Jyamaharider713
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E92

Anyone??
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 08:13 AM   #3
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyamaharider713 View Post
Anyone??
Most traction control problems that occur are related to the loss of a signal from a wheel speed sensor, a pump that fails to run, or a high pressure accumulator that leaks or can’t hold pressure.

Wheel speed sensors can be checked by measuring their resistance with an ohmmeter and comparing the reading to specifications. Sensors are magnetic and may not produce a good signal if the tip is contaminated with metallic debris or the air gap between the sensor tip and tone ring is too large.

If a code indicates the high pressure pump isn’t working, the underlying cause may be a faulty pump relay or a bad wiring connection. If the pump fails to run when the relay is bypassed with a fused jumper wire, the pump has failed and needs to be replaced.

A code that indicates the system is not holding pressure usually means the high pressure accumulator is leaking (check the seal between the accumulator and modulator/pump assembly, or that the rubber diaphragm inside has ruptured allowing the accumulator to lose its nitrogen gas charge (replace the accumulator after depressurizng the system).

Problems may also occur with any of the solenoid valves in the TCS/ABS modulator assembly. The problem may be mechanical (failure due to rust or corrosion in the valve) or electrical (failure of the solenoid). On most systems, the valves cannot be replaced separately so the entire modulator must be replaced as a unit.

If a code indicates an internal module fault, the TCS/ABS module can usually be replaced as a separate item. It may be attached to the modulator assembly or located elsewhere in the vehicle.

Communication errors between the TCS/ABS module and PCM or BCM (Body Control Module) may be the result of a wiring fault.
      11-27-2018, 10:30 AM   #4
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Did you just install Continental winters? If they are continental winter non run flats they my be your problem. They are too soft for our dsc/dtc traction control.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2018, 10:42 AM   #5
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
Did you just install Continental winters? If they are continental winter non run flats they my be your problem. They are too soft for our dsc/dtc traction control.
Is that only for that specific tire? I have Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 no issues... yet.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2018, 11:26 AM   #6
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
I was driving the car today and when I get on it the tracking control was coming on... I was on dry pavement.
Soft tires + aggressive traction control invocation = what else were you expecting to happen?

Quote:
If I turned the traction control off and got on it its fine. Any idea why this is happening?
Yes, obviously if you turn traction control off it will no longer alert you to loss of traction; perceptible or otherwise.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2018, 12:13 PM   #7
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
What are the F/R tire sizes? Are all 4 brand new?

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 01:42 PM   #8
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Is that only for that specific tire? I have Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 no issues... yet.
I had the issue with Conti Winter Contact
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 03:09 AM   #9
Sam_M
Tea wot?
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 135i 6MT

New tyres always take a couple of hundred miles to bed in...
Appreciate 0