E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > MHD "take a look at my log" thread

06-06-2018, 01:11 PM   #2201
eyehategod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Xdrive (E92)

Hey All, not really sure if anyone still actively looks at peoples logs on here. I was planning on adding my catless downpipe and going Stage 2, but I need some help sorting out what my logs are showing I think before stressing the car anymore. Info on my car is in my signature, I think the ambient temp when these were done was about 64F.

I'm just following a guide that I found for interpreting the MHD log data, but I'm still no expert. I think I'm having an issue with my LPFP if I'm reading these correctly, as the WGDC % is all over the place. Would really appreciate anyone who can help me understand what's going on here.

First Pull:
https://datazap.me/u/eyehategod/firs...og=0&data=4-12

Second Pull:
https://datazap.me/u/eyehategod/seco...og=0&data=4-12

Third Pull:
https://datazap.me/u/eyehategod/thir...og=0&data=4-12

And when I die, make sure you spread my blood on a BMW
2012 E92 335i xdrive | KW V1 Coilovers | ER Chargepipe | VRSF 7" HD | VRSF Catless DP | MHD Stage 2+ | xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 04:56 PM   #2202
marv85
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyehategod View Post
Hey All, not really sure if anyone still actively looks at peoples logs on here. I was planning on adding my catless downpipe and going Stage 2, but I need some help sorting out what my logs are showing I think before stressing the car anymore. Info on my car is in my signature, I think the ambient temp when these were done was about 64F.

I'm just following a guide that I found for interpreting the MHD log data, but I'm still no expert. I think I'm having an issue with my LPFP if I'm reading these correctly, as the WGDC % is all over the place. Would really appreciate anyone who can help me understand what's going on here.

First Pull:

Second Pull:

Third Pull:
Looked one of your pulls briefly. the WGDC choppiness could be helped with better boost control. You are well below boost target starting 4800 or so rpms. This could be due to aging turbos/wastegate or due to tired boost solenoids. If you haven't do so yet, change the boost solenoids as well as your vacuum lines, and see whether that cleans up your boost.
I also see timing drops across all cylinders. This could mean you don't have the octane required for this tune or your ignition system (plugs/coils) need to swapped. I'd start with more octane and see whether that cleans up your timing.
I did not see LPFP in your data
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 07:36 PM   #2203
BMWhartgeM3
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

https://datazap.me/u/bmwhartgem3/log...-28-29&mark=14

I keep getting lean safety with JB4. I did like recommended and switched to Map 2 and made a quick run. Wastegate stuck to 99 for a while after full throttle, is that the problem?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 09:09 AM   #2204
eyehategod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marv85 View Post
Looked one of your pulls briefly. the WGDC choppiness could be helped with better boost control. You are well below boost target starting 4800 or so rpms. This could be due to aging turbos/wastegate or due to tired boost solenoids. If you haven't do so yet, change the boost solenoids as well as your vacuum lines, and see whether that cleans up your boost.
I also see timing drops across all cylinders. This could mean you don't have the octane required for this tune or your ignition system (plugs/coils) need to swapped. I'd start with more octane and see whether that cleans up your timing.
I did not see LPFP in your data
Thanks for taking a look for me! I'd be surprised if my turbos or wastegate are an issue, the car is a 2012 with only 45k miles on it right now. As far as octane - I am running 93 and my MHD tune is set for 93. I replaced all 6 coils/plugs just a couple of months ago (at 40k miles). Someone from MHD messaged me and suggested I try opting into the beta version of MHD and seeing if the latest map helps. I am kind of confused about what to do about the timing corrections on all 6 cylinders, since the injectors were also replaced at 25k miles according to my carfax.

So it looks like boost solenoid and vacuum lines is my first step! Could that explain some of the really bad stuttering/RPM drops I get at low speed? I'll be in a parking lot trying to pull into a spot and suddenly my RPM will drop and I'll lurch forward for a moment.

EDIT: real quick - on Saturday I bought a spot at a local raceway to do my first introductory lesson on the track. Do you think I should skip this until I solve this problem?

2012 E92 335i xdrive | KW V1 Coilovers | ER Chargepipe | VRSF 7" HD | VRSF Catless DP | MHD Stage 2+ | xHP Stage 3

Last edited by eyehategod; 06-07-2018 at 09:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 10:58 AM   #2205
marv85
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for taking a look for me! I'd be surprised if my turbos or wastegate are an issue, the car is a 2012 with only 45k miles on it right now. As far as octane - I am running 93 and my MHD tune is set for 93. I replaced all 6 coils/plugs just a couple of months ago (at 40k miles). Someone from MHD messaged me and suggested I try opting into the beta version of MHD and seeing if the latest map helps. I am kind of confused about what to do about the timing corrections on all 6 cylinders, since the injectors were also replaced at 25k miles according to my carfax.

So it looks like boost solenoid and vacuum lines is my first step! Could that explain some of the really bad stuttering/RPM drops I get at low speed? I'll be in a parking lot trying to pull into a spot and suddenly my RPM will drop and I'll lurch forward for a moment.

EDIT: real quick - on Saturday I bought a spot at a local raceway to do my first introductory lesson on the track. Do you think I should skip this until I solve this problem?
Do you have access to E85? if yes, then fill with 4 gallons and then top the rest with 93. This should clean up timing across all cylinders, if the cause is octane. Most likely it is the cause.

For your track session, E85 could help! it's a great way to increase your octane. Your car will run more consistently, and safer. Your other option is to drop your tune to a 91 or 92 variant. Those variants target less aggressive timing...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 11:13 AM   #2206
baturbo
"It's so choice...I highly rec. picking one up"-FB
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340ix

Quote:

First Pull:

Second Pull:

Third Pull:
Seems you are running v1.24 of mhd with v1.0 maps. Current version is 1.66 and v6, v7 or v8 beta maps. If so I’d update both, flash v8 and takes logs again before anything.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 11:18 AM   #2207
eyehategod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Do you have access to E85? if yes, then fill with 4 gallons and then top the rest with 93. This should clean up timing across all cylinders, if the cause is octane. Most likely it is the cause.

For your track session, E85 could help! it's a great way to increase your octane. Your car will run more consistently, and safer. Your other option is to drop your tune to a 91 or 92 variant. Those variants target less aggressive timing...
I think that I can find E85 fairly easily around me, I'm located in Maryland right outside of DC. I really appreciate your help here, these forums have basically made my 335i ownership possible for a noob like myself. Will I need to adjust my settings in MHD at all from adding the 4 gallons of E85?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baturbo View Post
Seems you are running v1.24 of mhd with v1.0 maps. Current version is 1.66 and v6, v7 or v8 beta maps. If so I’d update both, flash v8 and takes logs again before anything.
Someone from MHD messaged me and sent me a link to opt-in to the beta version of MHD, they suggested I try that first, too. I'm not really quite sure how any of that happened between old MHD version and old maps! I'll try this before I fork over $140 to my local shop to do a boost leak test for me (which seems pretty damn expensive...)

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 11:33 AM   #2208
marv85
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I think that I can find E85 fairly easily around me, I'm located in Maryland right outside of DC. I really appreciate your help here, these forums have basically made my 335i ownership possible for a noob like myself. Will I need to adjust my settings in MHD at all from adding the 4 gallons of E85?

Someone from MHD messaged me and sent me a link to opt-in to the beta version of MHD, they suggested I try that first, too. I'm not really quite sure how any of that happened between old MHD version and old maps! I'll try this before I fork over $140 to my local shop to do a boost leak test for me (which seems pretty damn expensive...)
Yes, that potentially could clean up your boost.

I would add some E85 anyway for the event. Higher octane is a good idea when you're planning on pushing the car. 3-4 gallons of E85 (assuming you fill the rest of the tank with 93) is within the compensation range of the DME. You should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 11:41 AM   #2209
eyehategod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, that potentially could clean up your boost.

I would add some E85 anyway for the event. Higher octane is a good idea when you're planning on pushing the car. 3-4 gallons of E85 (assuming you fill the rest of the tank with 93) is within the compensation range of the DME. You should be fine.
I'll give that a shot for this weekend! It's an intro lesson, and I think they said in the description we'd be going highway speeds, so I don't expect to be really pushing it hard.

BTW, any thoughts on this?
http://turboboostleaktesters.com/bmw...bo-twin-power/

$140 to test for boost leaks from a local shop is a lot, I'd prefer to do it myself. Putting together a DIY kit when I don't know what I'm doing to begin with seems complicated.

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 07:15 PM   #2210
BMWhartgeM3
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Does anything jump out as to why I keep running lean?

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 10:52 PM   #2211
marv85
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWhartgeM3 View Post
Does anything jump out as to why I keep running lean?

I don’t have enough experience with JB4 to tell you what’s going on. You high and low fuel pressures seem fine. You seem to be leaning out on one bank only. Are you throwing any codes?

Also since it’s a JB4 log/tune, you might one to post elsewhere. This is an MHD log thread, you won’t get much help in here.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 11:41 PM   #2212
eyehategod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So I took the advice you guys gave me and updated MHD to the latest beta version, and then updated the map version to the latest:

https://datazap.me/u/eyehategod/beta...og=0&data=4-12

After that I switched to the E30 map at the gas station and filled up 30% E85 and 93 octane, and I could instantly feel a difference. Best idle I've ever had in this car, and at WOT the butt dyno tells me it's faster. How does this one look?

https://datazap.me/u/eyehategod/e30-...og=0&data=4-12

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 02:50 AM   #2213
Meatos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i n54 -07

Quote:
So I took the advice you guys gave me and updated MHD to the latest beta version, and then updated the map version to the latest:

After that I switched to the E30 map at the gas station and filled up 30% E85 and 93 octane, and I could instantly feel a difference. Best idle I've ever had in this car, and at WOT the butt dyno tells me it's faster. How does this one look?

That is not the latest version of MHD looks like you have v5 still. V8 is the new beta version.
Boost way under target so boostleak is the obvious, maybe something else but start looking for leaks.
If you continue WOT you will kill the turbos soon the WGDC is around 90% all the way to redline
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 06:12 AM   #2214
Jerain
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

Quote:

Still not the latest version MHD I think... Also swap you chargepipe to stock, I suspect the boost leak may come from there as I had the same experience. Watch around the Tmap sensor or the meth bung...

At least you IAT's are great with that 7" HD.
      06-08-2018, 09:13 AM   #2215
eyehategod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

BTW, mine is an N55, not sure how much that changes any of what you guys are seeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerain View Post
Still not the latest version MHD I think... Also swap you chargepipe to stock, I suspect the boost leak may come from there as I had the same experience. Watch around the Tmap sensor or the meth bung...

At least you IAT's are great with that 7" HD.
Wait...what? I downloaded the beta version of MHD, opened it, bought the license for the E30 map last night and flashed it. How could I be on the wrong version? I'm running version 1.52

I'll likely just pay for a shop to do a boost leak test for me before I go just swapping my charge pipe out, what makes you think that's the issue though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatos View Post
That is not the latest version of MHD looks like you have v5 still. V8 is the new beta version.
Boost way under target so boostleak is the obvious, maybe something else but start looking for leaks.
If you continue WOT you will kill the turbos soon the WGDC is around 90% all the way to redline
Why would this kill the turbos? I thought the WG is designed to operate close to 100% when it's building boost? What can I do?
Also not understanding what v5 and v8 are. Someone from MHD messaged me the link to the beta yesterday and I downloaded it, it says v1.52

Last edited by eyehategod; 06-08-2018 at 10:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 10:54 AM   #2216
marv85
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
BTW, mine is an N55, not sure how much that changes any of what you guys are seeing.

Wait...what? I downloaded the beta version of MHD, opened it, bought the license for the E30 map last night and flashed it. How could I be on the wrong version? I'm running version 1.52

I'll likely just pay for a shop to do a boost leak test for me before I go just swapping my charge pipe out, what makes you think that's the issue though?

Why would this kill the turbos? I thought the WG is designed to operate close to 100% when it's building boost? What can I do?
Also not understanding what v5 and v8 are. Someone from MHD messaged me the link to the beta yesterday and I downloaded it, it says v1.52
The good news your timing corrections are gone. As I suspected, it was octane related

your boost control in the mid range is improved, but you are still way below target, especially up there. Given the high WGDC, I agree that it is most likely a boost leak.

Keep in mind high WGDC during spool is meant to spool the turbos as quickly as possible, and that is fine. But in upper end of your rpm range, that high of a WGDC is just overspinning your turbos to compensate for the leak. Another way to put this: if there was no leak, a mere 55% to 60% WGDC would be enough to hit your target, even at high rpms.

how long ago did you install the CP? did you make sure the oring at the throttle body side is in there? as mentioned check the tmap sensor, meth bungs. Also check the connection to lower chargepipe and IC. Also check your DVs. Basically, anything from the turbos up to your throttle body could be the culprit.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 11:12 AM   #2217
eyehategod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The good news your timing corrections are gone. As I suspected, it was octane related

your boost control in the mid range is improved, but you are still way below target, especially up there. Given the high WGDC, I agree that it is most likely a boost leak.

Keep in mind high WGDC during spool is meant to spool the turbos as quickly as possible, and that is fine. But in upper end of your rpm range, that high of a WGDC is just overspinning your turbos to compensate for the leak. Another way to put this: if there was no leak, a mere 55% to 60% WGDC would be enough to hit your target, even at high rpms.

how long ago did you install the CP? did you make sure the oring at the throttle body side is in there? as mentioned check the tmap sensor, meth bungs. Also check the connection to lower chargepipe and IC. Also check your DVs. Basically, anything from the turbos up to your throttle body could be the culprit.
Thanks for your help explaining that, the WGDC is making a lot more sense to me now. That timing correction on cylinder 5 I still have is alright? I was pretty surprised, adding E85 really made it feel so much smoother from idle to WOT!

So I installed the CP probably about 6 weeks ago. The ER charge pipe uses the factory o-ring clip on the throttle body and that's definitely in place. I'll definitely look it over - one thing I'm remembering from the install was where the charge pipe mounts to the chassis. It supposedly uses the factory rubber grommet + bolt, but I found that the hole on the ER chargepipe was too big in diameter and basically the bolt in place there is doing nothing. I think essentially the charge pipe is being held in place by the throttle body connection and the lower charge pipe coupler and nothing else. It's probably wobbling around in there since it's not bolted down to the chassis...I hope that's the issue at least! Just a matter of finding the right bolt + grommet + washer setup for the CP in that case.

My local shops want to charge hundreds for a boost leak test, do you think this would work for me to do it at home? http://turboboostleaktesters.com/bmw...bo-twin-power/

Finally, I'm still really not understanding this out of date map scenario? I have the MHD beta apparently (1.52) and I just purchased my map from the MHD licenses store and installed it. Don't know where I could've gone wrong there...

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 11:25 AM   #2218
Jerain
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

Ah it's N55? Don't know that version for MHD.

In N54 the latest version is 1.66...

My guess is that your chargepipe is leaking somewhere. Install an oem one and report back. If you don't need meth just get the oem one, much better connections than most china replicas.
      06-08-2018, 11:37 AM   #2219
eyehategod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerain View Post
Ah it's N55? Don't know that version for MHD.

In N54 the latest version is 1.66...

My guess is that your chargepipe is leaking somewhere. Install an oem one and report back. If you don't need meth just get the oem one, much better connections than most china replicas.
Thanks man, I'll give that a shot. First I want to see if I can make the ER charge pipe work, it's a pretty high end unit from my understanding and apparently the N55 OEM CP is even more prone to cracking than the N54 one, which is why I made it my first upgrade.

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 11:59 AM   #2220
marv85
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your help explaining that, the WGDC is making a lot more sense to me now. That timing correction on cylinder 5 I still have is alright? I was pretty surprised, adding E85 really made it feel so much smoother from idle to WOT!

So I installed the CP probably about 6 weeks ago. The ER charge pipe uses the factory o-ring clip on the throttle body and that's definitely in place. I'll definitely look it over - one thing I'm remembering from the install was where the charge pipe mounts to the chassis. It supposedly uses the factory rubber grommet + bolt, but I found that the hole on the ER chargepipe was too big in diameter and basically the bolt in place there is doing nothing. I think essentially the charge pipe is being held in place by the throttle body connection and the lower charge pipe coupler and nothing else. It's probably wobbling around in there since it's not bolted down to the chassis...I hope that's the issue at least! Just a matter of finding the right bolt + grommet + washer setup for the CP in that case.

My local shops want to charge hundreds for a boost leak test, do you think this would work for me to do it at home? http://turboboostleaktesters.com/bmw...bo-twin-power/

Finally, I'm still really not understanding this out of date map scenario? I have the MHD beta apparently (1.52) and I just purchased my map from the MHD licenses store and installed it. Don't know where I could've gone wrong there...
Just to be clear, there is an oring on the inside of the pipe, and a metal clip on the outside. The clip holds the chargepipe on the throttle body, while the oring ensures a seal.

did you make sure to place the oring (rubber) on the inside of the CP before you mounted it on the throttle body? As far as I know, ER CP does not come with that oring because they expect you to re-use the one from your old CP, or alternatively order a new one.

if you use the metal clip only, the CP will sit securely, but it won't seal.

regarding that mounting hole. I've also found difficulty bolting it in the past, and I ran 20psi for years just fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 12:56 PM   #2221
eyehategod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just to be clear, there is an oring on the inside of the pipe, and a metal clip on the outside. The clip holds the chargepipe on the throttle body, while the oring ensures a seal.

did you make sure to place the oring (rubber) on the inside of the CP before you mounted it on the throttle body? As far as I know, ER CP does not come with that oring because they expect you to re-use the one from your old CP, or alternatively order a new one.

if you use the metal clip only, the CP will sit securely, but it won't seal.

regarding that mounting hole. I've also found difficulty bolting it in the past, and I ran 20psi for years just fine.
This could absolutely be the issue (plus maybe that mounting location, I took a photo of it to show how it's not seated properly right now). I honestly can't remember if I put the rubber o-ring on in the inside or not, so I'll definitely be popping the charge pipe off tonight to check.

View post on imgur.com

I made a thread in the N55 forum to see if I could get some N55 guys to look at the log. Somebody looked at it and thinks my log is perfectly fine, that the stock turbo just cant make that boost in the high RPM range so the WGDC is staying high to try to keep up. Differing opinions confuse me lol

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 01:09 PM   #2222
marv85
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
This could absolutely be the issue (plus maybe that mounting location, I took a photo of it to show how it's not seated properly right now). I honestly can't remember if I put the rubber o-ring on in the inside or not, so I'll definitely be popping the charge pipe off tonight to check.

View post on imgur.com

I made a thread in the N55 forum to see if I could get some N55 guys to look at the log. Somebody looked at it and thinks my log is perfectly fine, that the stock turbo just cant make that boost in the high RPM range so the WGDC is staying high to try to keep up. Differing opinions confuse me lol
Well honestly, all three of my BMWs were/are N54s. The guys over at the N55 section might be better poised to give you feedback.

Having said that, I would still check whether your chargepipe has the oring just because you don't remember whether you transferred it or not.
Appreciate 0