E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > DIY - Homelink Mirror Retrofit

02-25-2008, 06:34 PM   #45
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
SUCCESS BITCHES!!!!! It works! Did it tonight. I'll post a DIY later..... although no pics. The pics in the PDF are good enough.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 07:41 PM   #46
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
DIY

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...60#post2203460

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 09:50 PM   #47
diablo2112
2024 M440i GC (G26)
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i Gran Coupe

I'd like to add to this DIY thread, as I just installed an autodimming mirror w/homelink in my 2007 E90 which did NOT come with the autodimming mirror originally and hence lacked the pre-wiring needed which would otherwise make this a plug-n-play easy change.

As others have said, you need to run some additional wires. The mirror I got off ebay did not come with the extra wire harness, so some more DIY cleverness is required.

You need to run 4 additional wires from the mirror to a plug in the overhead light console/panel. The problem is you need to tap into four points on the female recepticle in the panel, and there are no wires to splice into. I used solid-core 20 gauge copper wire, and folded the ends over twice (to give 4x thickness), then just jammed each end of the wire into the existing plug to make electrical contact. It worked fine, as the pin on each end is sticking into the plug. This is a bit tricky, and the plugs are deep. The wire needs to pushed into each plug quite a distance. I used needle-nose pliers to help push each wire into the respective plug.

You'll be running 4 more lines, from the mirror plug which is a 10-pin plug, labelled from the back side with numbers 1-10, to the BLACK 20-pin plug in the overhead console, also labelled. Note that three wires are already hooked up to the mirror-plug, leave these as they are.

So, here's the additional wiring you need to make to get this to work:

Mirror Plug # - Overhead Console Plug # (BLACK 20-pin plug in the console)
1 connected to 14
3 connected to 20
4 connected to 15
5 connected to 16

Note that the existing wires in the mirror plug connect to points 8, 9 and 10.

This wasn't an easy mod, and obviously you have to run wires through the rubber boot from the mirror, but it does work and you can hook up your mirror to an E90/92 that didn't come pre-wired for the homelink/autodim even if you didn't get the auxillary wire harness. For more details, see the link in the post just above this one, including the PDF that contains detailed wiring diagrams.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 07:48 AM   #48
FrankoQ
Deny everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i; 2015 X6, S1000RR

Garage List
2015 BMW X6  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo2112 View Post
I'd like to add to this DIY thread, as I just installed an autodimming mirror w/homelink in my 2007 E90 which did NOT come with the autodimming mirror originally and hence lacked the pre-wiring needed which would otherwise make this a plug-n-play easy change.

As others have said, you need to run some additional wires. The mirror I got off ebay did not come with the extra wire harness, so some more DIY cleverness is required.

You need to run 4 additional wires from the mirror to a plug in the overhead light console/panel. The problem is you need to tap into four points on the female recepticle in the panel, and there are no wires to splice into. I used solid-core 20 gauge copper wire, and folded the ends over twice (to give 4x thickness), then just jammed each end of the wire into the existing plug to make electrical contact. It worked fine, as the pin on each end is sticking into the plug. This is a bit tricky, and the plugs are deep. The wire needs to pushed into each plug quite a distance. I used needle-nose pliers to help push each wire into the respective plug.

You'll be running 4 more lines, from the mirror plug which is a 10-pin plug, labelled from the back side with numbers 1-10, to the BLACK 20-pin plug in the overhead console, also labelled. Note that three wires are already hooked up to the mirror-plug, leave these as they are.

So, here's the additional wiring you need to make to get this to work:

Mirror Plug # - Overhead Console Plug # (BLACK 20-pin plug in the console)
1 connected to 14
3 connected to 20
4 connected to 15
5 connected to 16

Note that the existing wires in the mirror plug connect to points 8, 9 and 10.

This wasn't an easy mod, and obviously you have to run wires through the rubber boot from the mirror, but it does work and you can hook up your mirror to an E90/92 that didn't come pre-wired for the homelink/autodim even if you didn't get the auxillary wire harness. For more details, see the link in the post just above this one, including the PDF that contains detailed wiring diagrams.
Had I read the post above, I would not had bought the retro kit.
Not needed. With the information on the pins, you can just use 4 pieces of wire and be done with it.

Took me 1 hour to do it all.
All works:
- auto dim
- Alarm light
- homelink buttons.

Only problem was to put the mirror cover back on. I ended up bending and breaking some of the clips.

I need a drink

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 06:45 AM   #49
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 SBM E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
Just wanted to add to this. I may be repeating a couple things in here.....but my take either way..

1. All you need from the retrofit kit is the wiring. All the extra little pieces are just in case you break one of the pieces that are already there...or if you just want to replace them for the hell of it. The piece that is used on the mirror itself is hard not to break so you will probably have to use the new one in the kit.

2. You're just running the wires from the 20 pin middle/black connector in the upper/front console to the 10 pin connector in the mirror. I know this is something that should be common sense and easily figured out in the first place. But no DIY actually says this at the beginning. If I would have known that in the 1st place, I would have been able to do this MUCH faster. I spent an hour just staring at diagrams and trying to read through so much until I finally realized that. You have to cut the rubber piece off the retrofit wiring and then look at the diagram (best shown on the link below) and plug them in, then put everything back.

3. Make sure when you slide the gray 20 pin connector in the console back in..you use the arrow on it to slide it in the right way. I did it wrong the first time. Stupid I know...but just glancing at it, you CAN put it in wrong.

4. To get the console open, go in from the windshield side. I knew this from doing my LED interior kit. The clips are damn near impossible to do from the rear.

5. I cracked my windshield trying to put the homelink mirror on. So be VERY careful doing this. Hopefully your's won't be so damn difficult.

Best diagram for the wiring...

http://www.bmw330i.info/projects/mirror.php
      03-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #50
Salle071
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi Touring

Mirror

Hi, I like your post about the mirror. I have E90 as well, just got it a few weeks ago. When I was cleaning the glass, the two halves came apart and fell out (the ones around the mirror base) and I saw one small circuit board just hanging there. Could not figure where it attaches, seems like it has sticky residue so I am assuming it was attached to the glass. I included the picture. Do you remember where it was on your car? Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #51
3.1L Z
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 E92, Cobb AP

Since the instruction links are dead, here's the pdf.
(if needed for whatever reason)
Attached Images
File Type: pdf MIRROR RETROFIT.pdf (940.2 KB, 825 views)
Appreciate 0