E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Boost Gauge Installed

07-11-2007, 09:18 PM   #1
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Boost Gauge Installed

In the glove box...

I could not decide on a location as this interior did not lend its self to a clean gauge install. So I added it to the glove box. In my 15 years of owning and tuning multiple turbo and SC vehicles, I found I rarely looked at the gauge except when there was a problem or thought there was a problem. So being in sight was not paramount now. Plus, I like the cleaner look without it.

After advice of others I tapped into the diverter valve source line and it worked fine. I also used the pass through below the master cylinder and ABS module. You can locate this on the engine side under the same cover as the ECU but on the drivers side. You can see in the below images the route I followed.

I used a Phillips head screw driver, the same size as the 5/32 inch OD hard plastic vacuum line, to poke through a the rubber seal. There was a recess on the passenger compartment side with a rubber nipple on the engine compartment side. I used this as the punch through location shown below.

As mentioned, I used a 5/32 inch tee in the line to the diverter valves and then starting with 5/32 inch ID soft vacuum lines and then changing to the hard lines once I was near the first "firewall". Luckily there as enough room to fit the hard line through a passage with a wire loom. With everything connected under the hood I buttoned that up.

I tucked the vacuum line up in the dash on the driver's side and then slid a hard line under the equipment in the center console as there was space. From there I created a hole in the cover in the back of the glove box for the light power and the vacuum line to pass. I attached the gauge and subsequent pod via two small holes in the side of the glove box with a zip tie. For the gauge lighting I ran a cable out the back of the glove box and over it to the glove box lighting. I soldered the wires to the bars in the assembly since this is what connects and disconnects power when the box is opened and closed. There is no sense in have the gauge illuminated when the box is closed.

I took it for a spin and the view was fine for my purposes. Similar to me now having a portable A/F ratio monitor instead of a fixed; I do not always watch the gauges so why have them in plain site. In the future and if more gauges are desired which is dependant on how far I take this car, I may make a plate in the glove box to house gauges. But that is down the road. The vacuum numbers looked good; 20 inHG at idle when warmed up and then boosting to about 8.5 – PSI under load.

Sorry, focused on the wrong part

Yes, I am trusting more to Siemens with this Siemens/VDO gauge.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 09:34 PM   #2
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Nice write up. I have the same boost gauge in my car, I was too cheap to lay out for another set of defi's for this car. What color LED or bulb did you go with? I tried a red led but it didn't match too well, I just ended up using a white LED.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 09:40 PM   #3
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBMW View Post
Nice write up. I have the same boost gauge in my car, I was too cheap to lay out for another set of defi's for this car. What color LED or bulb did you go with? I tried a red led but it didn't match too well, I just ended up using a white LED.
Thanks...

I had considered digital as well but determined it was uneeded. I have been doing this well long enough to know what I do and do not need. In the past I would get something because of the apeal of it. Now I get it to suit the minimum needs. I guess getting old does that sort of thing.

I went with the red "rubber" on the bulb. Since it is not normally seen I figured it would match partially. But it can be easily pulled.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 06:42 AM   #4
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
Thanks...

I had considered digital as well but determined it was uneeded. I have been doing this well long enough to know what I do and do not need. In the past I would get something because of the apeal of it. Now I get it to suit the minimum needs. I guess getting old does that sort of thing.

I went with the red "rubber" on the bulb. Since it is not normally seen I figured it would match partially. But it can be easily pulled.
Hmmm... actually that is a pretty good idea, I should try a red rubber cover over my white LED and see how it looks.

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 07:11 AM   #5
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm... actually that is a pretty good idea, I should try a red rubber cover over my white LED and see how it looks.
I'll snap a shot tonight when it is dark so you can see the color difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
I'll snap a shot tonight when it is dark so you can see the color difference.
Thanks. Where did you buy the rubber cover from? I use to have some from an old strobe light kit (I know, don't ask it was back from my ricer civic days ), but I have no clue where that is.

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 09:23 PM   #7
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Where did you buy the rubber cover from? I use to have some from an old strobe light kit (I know, don't ask it was back from my ricer civic days ), but I have no clue where that is.
Please drop me a note tomorrow as I forgot to get the image taken tonight. Sorry about that...

The VDO gauge should include two rubbers bulb covers in the package; one red (amber) and the other green. This was the same gauge I used in my Audi (B5 S4) and with the red bulb cover it matched well.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 09:28 PM   #8
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Please drop me a note tomorrow as I forgot to get the image taken tonight. Sorry about that...

The VDO gauge should include two rubbers bulb covers in the package; one red (amber) and the other green. This was the same gauge I used in my Audi (B5 S4) and with the red bulb cover it matched well.
No problem at all. For whatever reason mine didn't come with any rubber covers.

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 09:46 PM   #9
CASHBY
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335 "done up"

stealth!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2007, 12:05 AM   #10
Terry@BFM
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
In the glove box...
Nice setup! Time to start tweaking things.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 05:59 PM   #11
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335coupe

i used this, today good DIY, was easier than i thought it would be getting the line through the firewall, time consuming, but easy

i routed my hose a little different from you though because i was worried it might crimp there, while facing the car, if you follow where you did and move about 4 inches to the left, theres a spot with plenty of room that gets you to the same point

also FYI if anyone is looking for ignition switched fuse to tap, its the one ALL the way to the right, its a yellow 20 amp fuse, its in a section w/ 3 5 amp brown fuses and another yellow one, its the one on the bottom row directly to the right of 2 brown fuses

NATURALLY i started from the left side and that was THE VERY LAST fuse to check &^%!(*@^
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 06:14 PM   #12
Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5/E92 335/HUMMER H2

Nice!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 06:21 PM   #13
Fartpimpson
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 08:44 PM   #14
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 533ogetnom View Post
i used this, today good DIY, was easier than i thought it would be getting the line through the firewall, time consuming, but easy

i routed my hose a little different from you though because i was worried it might crimp there, while facing the car, if you follow where you did and move about 4 inches to the left, theres a spot with plenty of room that gets you to the same point
Wow, I thought this thread was dead but am glad it was of use. My routing has worked so far but alternatives certain help the evolution of this addition.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 09:51 PM   #15
Walked U
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Too many to list

Cool write up.

I was going to do the same thing when I had my first boost gauge for testing. But just ended up putting it on my steering wheel column.

Kinda wish I havent because now I have 2 holes and need to buy a new plastic wheel column.
Ferrari 575 SA, 458 Italia
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 09:52 PM   #16
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walked U View Post
Cool write up.

I was going to do the same thing when I had my first boost gauge for testing. But just ended up putting it on my steering wheel column.

Kinda wish I havent because now I have 2 holes and need to buy a new plastic wheel column.
Certainly have been there before and have replaced many parts after the fact.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 09:55 PM   #17
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335coupe

Quote:
Wow, I thought this thread was dead but am glad it was of use. My routing has worked so far but alternatives certain help the evolution of this addition.
hell no, ive had it bookmarked for a long time now, it needs to be indexed in the DIY section
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 10:29 PM   #18
boosted305
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walked U View Post
Cool write up.

much more functional on your steering wheel column...I've always needed my boost gauge as close to my driving line-of-sight as possible....usually on the door pillar just above the dash if you can imagine it...that way it just takes a glance (in fact it's almost just peripheral vision) to monitor your boost levels while racing/flooring it...when you're going that fast, don't want to take your eyes off the road for long...and at that speed a split second can be a lot...

how much was your steering column? cuz somehow or the other I am going to have to put my gauge somewhere around there...it's just a must

Last edited by boosted305; 12-01-2007 at 11:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 11:32 PM   #19
bullmrkt
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Very nice install but I need my glovebox for storage. Heck I have my glovebox and both of my side pockets full of ID's, ID related paperwork, and multiple fleet gas cards. The joys of being a government contractor...

I'm thinking of doing the ashtray install...who still smokes anyway?
1995 Ferrari F355 Berlinetta 6mt
1964 Porsche 356 C Coupe
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 11:37 PM   #20
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged e30 M3

Excellent post. This is exactly where I have my boost guage in one of my other cars. I'll post pictures in a few days so we can compare .
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 11:44 PM   #21
Dan335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6MT,w/sp. pack.

I still smoke! (LOL) But i think that every manufacturer that builds a turbo car should have a boost gauge somewhere in view of the driver.Of course especially in a BMW it would have to be one helluva classy gauge that looks like it belongs without being out of place looking for the type of car it is. Hell even non MR Evo,s didnt have boost gauges stock,and the one on the MR edition was in a place with a couple other gauges that you couldnt even see without looking real hard.The STI,s had it as part of there performance package.Which included the short shifter and boost gauge right in front of you off to the right slightely on the steering column.I believe it was a 750 dollar option for just a boost gauge and short shifter.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 03:13 AM   #22
Tuned335i
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
Excellent post. This is exactly where I have my boost guage in one of my other cars. I'll post pictures in a few days so we can compare .
I'm just about to install a boost gauge and I am really interested in seeing your photos.

Cheers!!!