E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > VTG Cannot Communicate

07-22-2018, 10:49 AM   #1
JCP0521
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325xi

Just purchased a 2006 BMW 325xi and have the common ABS, 4 x 4, Brake lLght displaying on my dash, Seller said it just needed a steering angle sensor., I removed it and cleaned off the disc carefully and replaced it. I scanned it with an Autel MaxiDas scanner and found the steering angle sensor to be working correctly, it displays the correct degree and zeros out when the wheel is perfectly straight, all 4 wheel speed sensors are reporting correctly According to the live data while driving, just replaced the transfer case actuator motor today and when I hook up the scanner I am unable to connect to the VTG Module. I had the same issue before and after the fixes I mentioned. I checked all fuses also which were fine.
I did order a new brake reservoir as it was reading Not OK , but the fluid was full, but it was reading OK when the float was at the bottom, seems weird that it displayed the opposite results.
Any idea what the multi dash light issue may be, Do I need to replace the VTG control module since I am unable to communicate with it, and I've tried several times and keep getting the same error code

Last edited by JCP0521; 07-22-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 08:00 PM   #2
nsjames
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

I would start with inspecting the wiring before I tossed new modules at it.

what kind of condition is the battery in?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 08:16 PM   #3
JCP0521
Rep

I checked a lot of live data with my scanner and the battery is good, wheel sensors display good, steering angle sensor shows it's reading correctly, I'm able to activate the ABS pump motor, all the cruise control button show depressed when I press them, removed the control unit under the passenger side floor and it looks like it was replaced as there was a bolt missing from the cover, I unplugged both connections, they look brand new. Tried to reconnect the scanner and still could not read VTG
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 10:09 PM   #4
nsjames
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

then it's looking more like failure.

did you ohm out the can bus wires to the module? You should get 120 ohms IIRC. You'll have to check newtis for sure.
if not, wiring issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 10:12 PM   #5
JCP0521
Rep

Ok I'll do that. I have an odd issue, I ordered a new brake reservoir cap with sensor As the previous one was reading not OK on the scanner I replaced it today and the new one reads not OK on the scanner but if I remove it from the reservoir and let the float drop to the bottom then it reads OK. It's like the computer is reading it in opposite
The wiring looks fine I just can't make any sense of it
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 06:40 PM   #6
JCP0521
Rep

Just an update to my original post, I bought a used transfer case module from eBay for $125 from the same year / make and model BMW, plugged it in and all my lights went out. What a relief. Hope this helps someone else!!!
Appreciate 0