E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > tip for all people taking deliver of th eir car or going to buy a car off the lot

03-26-2008, 07:29 PM   #1
asian010
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

tip for all people taking deliver of th eir car or going to buy a car off the lot

have them do an alignment before you leave the dealership, most new cars or cars off the lot from my experience have horribly aligned wheels... my mechanic friend told me he had a couple of brand new bimmers and other cars go to his shop for wheel alignment. he was amazed at how off it was... he also told me that he even had one customer tell him that the dealership rejected him a free under warranty/maintenance wheel alignment. i think if you do it the day you buy your car, they should do it for you for free. if not bitch at them.

just a tip to save you a trip to the shop. =]
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 07:43 PM   #2
holson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enterprise Rent-A-Car

asian010,

Thanks for the tip, I'll mention it to my dealer when I get my car (hopefully before May). Let's see what they say. I hv a feeling that they'll tell me to go away...
      03-26-2008, 08:51 PM   #3
amjustice
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 335i 6MT, Montego Blue

just curious why you think the wheels would be so horribly aligned on a brand new car. Im not doubting you but I would think they would align the wheels in the factory.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 09:15 PM   #4
GreenThree
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjustice View Post
just curious why you think the wheels would be so horribly aligned on a brand new car. Im not doubting you but I would think they would align the wheels in the factory.
+1, its brand new. No driving has been done. How could this be?

2015 335xi | Mineral Grey Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | NAV | SportLine | ZPP | ZDA | ZCW | Munich Build

Retired: 2008, 2011, 2013 328xi
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 09:23 PM   #5
asian010
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenThree View Post
+1, its brand new. No driving has been done. How could this be?
yes it may still be a brand new car, but think about the factors that go into play during deliver. and also, when u get a brand new car, the odometer doesnt say 0 so obviously the car has been driven at one point. and also, how do u think they got on and off the boats and trucks, a crane? a tow truck? human push or pull? a flying robot? i think they drive the car onto the ships and trucks. think about the bumps and such it could encounter. i will say i am not certain why the alignment is off, but like my mechanic friend said, he gets alot of brand new cars into his shop for wheel alignments.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 09:43 PM   #6
GreenThree
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian010 View Post
yes it may still be a brand new car, but think about the factors that go into play during deliver. and also, when u get a brand new car, the odometer doesnt say 0 so obviously the car has been driven at one point. and also, how do u think they got on and off the boats and trucks, a crane? a tow truck? human push or pull? a flying robot? i think they drive the car onto the ships and trucks. think about the bumps and such it could encounter. i will say i am not certain why the alignment is off, but like my mechanic friend said, he gets alot of brand new cars into his shop for wheel alignments.

Interesting to know. I am expecting no more than 5 miles on the OD when I get my car, if even that. I really dont think it is driven that much. I guess there are some factors, but definately not flying robots. LOL! We will see when it comes. Thanks for the info

2015 335xi | Mineral Grey Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | NAV | SportLine | ZPP | ZDA | ZCW | Munich Build

Retired: 2008, 2011, 2013 328xi
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 09:08 PM   #7
jmyers
Rep

Mine had only one mile on delivery because they used flying robots to take it off the truck.
      03-27-2008, 09:52 PM   #8
lag
Private
Rep
Drives: 1993 e36 325i: 2008 e92 335i

The settling of suspension parts, bushings mainly, would be the cause of this. The average driver isn't going to notice, but drivers usually will noitce.
Appreciate 0