E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Can I apply ScratchX after cleaner wax?

07-27-2008, 08:28 AM   #1
BeAmW335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Can I apply ScratchX after cleaner wax? Added some pics.

Hi guys,

I just added a 2002 BMW 325i to the family. The exterior is Oxford green metallic. Yesterday after washing the car, I clayed most of flat areas of the car, and then used a cleaner wax on the entire car. I can still see that the paint has some minor swirl marks, something that looks like water marks, and some fine scratches, so I thought I could use Meguiars ScratchX. BTW, all products are being applied by hand...I don't have a buffer.

1. Is it ok to apply ScratchX after using the cleaner wax? Is it going to strip the wax?

2. If I use a clay after using the cleaner wax for some trouble spots, will that strip the wax?

3. The headlights are slightly faded, and certain areas of the headlight have oxidation. Not the horrible yellow and cloudy look, but you can tell that they are not clear. If I run my fingers over the headlights, I can tell that certain areas have a layer of grainy stuff. I tried using ScratchX on the headlights by hand, but it didn't really make a difference. Is there any other OTC product I can use for this? Can I clay the headlights?

I will post some pictures later. Thank you.

Last edited by BeAmW335i; 08-01-2008 at 12:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 10:30 AM   #2
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeAmW335i View Post
Hi guys,

I just added a 2002 BMW 325i to the family. The exterior is Oxford green metallic. Yesterday after washing the car, I clayed most of flat areas of the car, and then used a cleaner wax on the entire car. I can still see that the paint has some minor swirl marks, something that looks like water marks, and some fine scratches, so I thought I could use Meguiars ScratchX. BTW, all products are being applied by hand...I don't have a buffer.

1. Is it ok to apply ScratchX after using the cleaner wax? Is it going to strip the wax?

Yes, any abrasive product will remove previous coats of protection.

2. If I use a clay after using the cleaner wax for some trouble spots, will that strip the wax?

It will remove some, if not all of the wax.

3. The headlights are slightly faded, and certain areas of the headlight have oxidation. Not the horrible yellow and cloudy look, but you can tell that they are not clear. If I run my fingers over the headlights, I can tell that certain areas have a layer of grainy stuff. I tried using ScratchX on the headlights by hand, but it didn't really make a difference. Is there any other OTC product I can use for this? You can try PlasticX instead. Can I clay the headlights? Yes you can, but do this before polishing as it may introduce some micro-marring.

I will post some pictures later. Thank you.
Good luck!

George
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 03:11 PM   #3
ukthunderace
Autobahn Cruiser
Germany
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Tief Gruen

Get a buffer! And get a good assortment of products.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 12:14 PM   #4
BeAmW335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Here some some pics of the 2002 325i. It looks great from distance, but I can still see minor scratches and swirl marks. I'm not a detailer, but after washing it, I clayed most of the car. Then used Megs cleaner wax, ScratchX, and then NXT 2.0. I degreased the engine bay, and also used a $20 dollar product to clean the oxidation from the headlights, which worked really well. Sorry, I can't remember the name, but I purchased it from Discount Auto Parts, and it came in a metallic looking pouch. Initially I applied ScratchX on the headlights, but that made no difference.

I cleaned the wheel wells, but they are still dirty and dry looking. What can I use to clean the wheel wells?

I used Lexol leather cleaner and conditioner to clean the seats, but this cleaner seems to be very mild. Can someone recommend a better leather cleaner?

Is "Rubber Black Dye" the product to use to for side moldings? I've used other OTC stuff before, but it doesn't last very long.

Can someone talk me into getting a buffer? I've always been scared to use it because I think I will damage the paint, but I really need one!
Attached Images

08-01-2008, 12:30 PM   #5
RedGT3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: .2 GT3/M3cs

It looks very clean from here....
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 08:45 PM   #6
elite3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2000 BMW 330CI

BeAm
Nice color after reading your post with so many different products which one do you chose right consumer products is what i call them there are professional grade design for enthusiasts and professional you mention you arent a detailer so the products you select are ok you dont want to make cleaning your vehicle a chore have fun with it see the end results which makes you happy cleaner wax is very mild with little cutting ability, it has polish in it and it also seals so you notice that it didnt remove some scratches that you had you opt for scratch x which should be done first next time around i prefer a user friendly product 3M car care rubbing compound then follow up with performance finish the wheel wells you can use any type of dressing to give that matte black look lexol makes a product called neetfoot for leather that need a little more I'm a smartwax dealer i would be more than welcome to send you a promo package because they have smartgel that great for the black exterior trim and i understand what you are going through the fear of using a buffer start small get yourself a orbitar get used to it then work your way up to the next level
Appreciate 0