E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Post Your SULEV Warranty Success Stories

01-03-2019, 06:37 AM   #89
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanduhh View Post
A) car would crap out once every couple months with fuel pump idrive notification..but no codes. would only happen when idling for 10+ minutes until recently I was waiting in traffic for the holiday light show idling in drive when it stalled out
B) FREE from Habberstad BMW dealership in Bayshore, NY
C) SULEV covered initially...made an appointment over the phone, spoke with the service manager and told him about my fuel pump issue and this warranty I found online
D) dealer made me a priority, personally talked with service manager upon appointment, told him about this 15 year/ 150,000 mile warranty for fuel tank/fuel pump....at first he couldn't find what I was talking about and was very nice about it, even showed me his computer screen to show me he wasn't lying. He only found a warranty for 70,000 and 8 years for the fuel pump but then continued looking since I kept saying how I saw it all over the internet. He then made a phone call and BOOM, he had to change some setting on his computer search and found the updated 15 year/ 150,000 warranty and told me he would run the diagnostic test and if it is fuel pump he would take care of it for me
E) BMW then gave me a rental car from enterprise on their expense since they were out of loaners, dropped the car off on 12/31/18 in the early afternoon, and got my car back 2 days later... 1/2/19 6pm. They washed my car and gave me no hard time at ALL. Was even able to drop the rental from enterprise off at BMW! Didn't have to deal with the bums at enterprise lol

Thanks to this forum I saved ALOT of moooola!!
Glad it worked out, kinda crazy so many folks saved money with this warranty that most never heard of!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 10:35 AM   #90
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

Anyone have any info on what could possibly violate the SULEV warranty?

I saw you post earlier in this thread what looked like to be part of a PDF showing what the SULEV warranty entails. Could you send me a link to that resource? Thank you!
      01-14-2019, 09:38 PM   #91
heyitsjamesk
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i coupe

Radiator replacement

My hose had a cut in the U section, it was just a host, but they replaced the whole radiator because it was part of the emission (sensor was built in) and got a free valve cover gasket replacement.
All under the SULEV warranty (150,000 miles)
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 01:25 PM   #92
CruzBatres
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i, SULEV

SULEV Warranty Coverage

I have a 2009 328i, SULEV, 120,000 miles. The radiator recently developed a crack. Global Imports BMW in Atlanta replaced the radiator and an O2 sensor under warranty. They would not cover the cost of radiator hoses, only the radiator.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2019, 07:29 PM   #93
dylim
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Well... I didn't know there was this SULEV warranty thingy until recently! Kind of unhappy as the dealer quoted my $$$ for the valve cover gasket replacement years back. I'm in CA so the dealers should be familiar with the warranty. I did it myself back then of course, and now it's slowly leaking again.

I discovered the leak as I was about to tackle the oil pan gasket and replace water pump, tstat, hoses, control arms, engine mounts etc.

I called the dealer and they said the vcg is indeed covered, so this time I'm going to let them do it... weird thing is that they said the valvetronic gasket is not, but the pdf shows it is. Anyways, I'll bring it in and show them the pdf.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 02:33 PM   #94
Pilarskica
Private
Rep
Drives: Black E90

Has anyone had any luck with the SULEV warranty in North Carolina? I'm taking mine in for the recall work next month and I was going to ask about my valve cover gasket.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 09:30 AM   #95
matthewjmoser
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi

Radiator could be covered under SULEV? I had my cats go bad in my stock headers and they replaced both of them for free / with new sensors.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 10:19 AM   #96
Pilarskica
Private
Rep
Drives: Black E90

I just got my 2009 328's valve cover gasket changed under the sulev warranty at Hendrick BMW northlake in Charlotte NC.

I scheduled my recall and when I went in I brought my 2009 BMW warranty manual :

https://www.bmwusa.com/explore/bmw-v...nty-books.html

and I brought this :

https://batxcr1.bmwcenternet.com/lib...s_Coverage.pdf

The radiator is covered:

RADIATOR W/DORS (AUTOMATIC TRANS)
RADIATOR W/DORS (MANUAL TRANS)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 01:15 AM   #97
sxc-e90
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E90 335d

Hi everyone, I'm wondering if anyone from Nevada has successfully been able to have BMW honor any repairs under the SULEV warranty? I have a 2010 BMW 328i originally purchased in CA but now resides in NV. I am currently having signs of a failing fuel pump and want to see if anyone has had luck with any dealers in NV. I have read mixed reviews online from cars prior to 2011 can reside in any state and be covered from cars 2010 and new need to be in states that have adopted the SULEV warranty.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 03:03 PM   #98
xsil20x
Rep
Drives: 08 bmw 328i e90

Sulev warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadriderg View Post
I had my light come on for cel on my 2007 328i sulev sedan. The code set was for secondary air system failure. This is what happened next.

1. Verified blower was working but no air coming thru exhaust. They changed
the exhaust air inlet valve. It did not correct the problem.

2. It was decided that the ports inside the head where blocked so that the cylinder head had to be removed to be cleaned.

3. After repeated cleaning attempts the head could not be cleaned.

4. A new cylinder head with valve train was ordered.

5. While removing the head the radiator was broken.

6. The radiator was replaced with new hoses.

7 it was put back together then started showing codes for cylinder misfire.

8. They replaced all coils and spark plugs.

9. Oil change and coolant change.

10. Main problem was that the valve guide seals had hardened and were slightly leaking oil. Just enough to block tiny exhaust ports for the smog system. Even with the head off they are in an area that is hard to reach.
So they could not be cleaned.

All this under sulev warranty. Car had 125,000 miles. I am very happy with bmw. They fixed my car with no question or problems. I estimate this was around a $8,000.00 repair.
Hi I was wondering how did u get them to get that covered under warranty cause I'm in Sacramento ca and dealer ship over here is stating that the head is not covered under warranty please let me know
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 09:53 PM   #99
e46reg
Registered
Rep
Drives: e46 325ci, e90 328i, e92 335i

Sulev Warranty Experience

Posting this here as it may help other e90 sulev owners.

Some background: I purchased a used e90 328i a few years ago for daily use knowing that the vehicle had issues and intended to work on it gradually replacing what is needed to be done. Some of the components were already replaced by the previous owner as I know the indy mechanic she was taking the car to.

Thanks to forum members and their posts, over these couple of years I replaced the valve cover gasket and the ofhg, belt tensioner, idler pulley and the starter myself. However, there was an issue that for the life of me couldnt figure it out - it was a code for the secondary air pump. Note that I've already replaced the check valve and the air pump but still the issue remains. It's coming close to smog time and I had to address this issue.

Thanks again to these forums, I discovered the sulev warranty that's available so I decided to take it to my local bmw dealership, have the recalls performed and of course to diagnose the secondary air pump issue.

It was a bit of a struggle to finally get it fixed but here's what happened:

First time I took it to the dealership, they diagnosed the issue, and charged me a diagnostic fee. $179. Diagnostics recommended to re-code the vehicle for the vanos solenoids. The SA informed me that in order for them to cover any warranty work, I would need to pay a re-coding fee of $180, if the code comes back, they would replace the vanos solenoids (intake and exhaust) so I said yes.

Next day, picked up the car and of course the following day the code comes back. They recommended replacing the negative battery cable for $600 as it was causing some electrical issues. I said don't worry I will replace it myself.

I replaced the negative battery cable and I returned it to the dealership the following day. The dealership replaced the two solenoids and after a day, the SA said it would have cost $1400 without the sulev warranty and I pick up the vehicle again.

The next day, of course the code comes back again. So I called my SA and she said to take it back for another check.

This time, I told them to focus on the secondary air pump codes and to actually test drive the car after fixing whatever they needed to fix. A few days pass by and no word from the SA. 4 days after taking it there, the SA said she is trying to have BMW NA approve a cylinder head replacement (she mentioned it was $8-10k worth of work). I was stunned to hear this but ok, as long as it fixes the issue and I have no more out of pocket costs, I'm willing to wait.

A few days after, the SA informs me that it was approved and they actually finished the work. Apparently, they did focus on the SAP issue, replaced the air pump, exhaust solenoid (again?) and the issue remained and had to replace the cylinder head with valves, bolts etc.

I inspected the car after driving it home and so far no SES light yet and it does look like a new cylinder head was installed.

I'm still unsure if a "clogged" cylinder head would cause a blockage for the SAP to work? In any case, I will post once again if any issues come back.

a) issue diagnosed
SAP codes, Vanos codes.

b) total cost of repair
$179 diagnostic fee + $180 re-coding fee.

c) if SULEV covered initially or you had to be reimbursed
I have not asked for any reimbursement, should I?

d) if your dealer gave you a hard time
Kind of, because they in my opinion couldn't diagnose the issue properly initially.

e) if BMW NA had to be involved
Yes, per my SA they needed approval for the cylinder head replacement, the other parts replaced should not have been an issue.

Hope this helps others and let me know if you have any questions.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 11:15 PM   #100
xsil20x
Rep
Drives: 08 bmw 328i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46reg View Post
Posting this here as it may help other e90 sulev owners.

Some background: I purchased a used e90 328i a few years ago for daily use knowing that the vehicle had issues and intended to work on it gradually replacing what is needed to be done. Some of the components were already replaced by the previous owner as I know the indy mechanic she was taking the car to.

Thanks to forum members and their posts, over these couple of years I replaced the valve cover gasket and the ofhg, belt tensioner, idler pulley and the starter myself. However, there was an issue that for the life of me couldnt figure it out - it was a code for the secondary air pump. Note that I've already replaced the check valve and the air pump but still the issue remains. It's coming close to smog time and I had to address this issue.

Thanks again to these forums, I discovered the sulev warranty that's available so I decided to take it to my local bmw dealership, have the recalls performed and of course to diagnose the secondary air pump issue.

It was a bit of a struggle to finally get it fixed but here's what happened:

First time I took it to the dealership, they diagnosed the issue, and charged me a diagnostic fee. $179. Diagnostics recommended to re-code the vehicle for the vanos solenoids. The SA informed me that in order for them to cover any warranty work, I would need to pay a re-coding fee of $180, if the code comes back, they would replace the vanos solenoids (intake and exhaust) so I said yes.

Next day, picked up the car and of course the following day the code comes back. They recommended replacing the negative battery cable for $600 as it was causing some electrical issues. I said don't worry I will replace it myself.

I replaced the negative battery cable and I returned it to the dealership the following day. The dealership replaced the two solenoids and after a day, the SA said it would have cost $1400 without the sulev warranty and I pick up the vehicle again.

The next day, of course the code comes back again. So I called my SA and she said to take it back for another check.

This time, I told them to focus on the secondary air pump codes and to actually test drive the car after fixing whatever they needed to fix. A few days pass by and no word from the SA. 4 days after taking it there, the SA said she is trying to have BMW NA approve a cylinder head replacement (she mentioned it was $8-10k worth of work). I was stunned to hear this but ok, as long as it fixes the issue and I have no more out of pocket costs, I'm willing to wait.

A few days after, the SA informs me that it was approved and they actually finished the work. Apparently, they did focus on the SAP issue, replaced the air pump, exhaust solenoid (again?) and the issue remained and had to replace the cylinder head with valves, bolts etc.

I inspected the car after driving it home and so far no SES light yet and it does look like a new cylinder head was installed.

I'm still unsure if a "clogged" cylinder head would cause a blockage for the SAP to work? In any case, I will post once again if any issues come back.

a) issue diagnosed
SAP codes, Vanos codes.

b) total cost of repair
$179 diagnostic fee + $180 re-coding fee.

c) if SULEV covered initially or you had to be reimbursed
I have not asked for any reimbursement, should I?

d) if your dealer gave you a hard time
Kind of, because they in my opinion couldn't diagnose the issue properly initially.

Yes, per my SA they needed approval for the cylinder head replacement, the other parts replaced should not have been an issue.

E46reg I pmed u if u can help me out cause I'm going through same exact situation rite now with secondary air injection pump ses light on please get back to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 02:39 PM   #101
4Shadowe90
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon08_328 View Post
a) Had hard start problems followed by CEL, DSC, and BRAKE lights. Also had a high pitched whistle noise. Diagnosed to be crank position sensor was cause of hard start. PCV valve malfunction cause of whistle. Replaced crank position sensor, valve cover and valve cover gasket.

b) $0

c) SULEV warranty covered completely

d) No hard time, as a matter of fact they brought up the SULEV warranty!!!

e) Not one bit!

BMW of El Cajon was the dealership
Is there anyway you can post proof of them replacing the valve cover? That would save me a ton of money because the dealer is saying the valve cover isn’t covered but if I have proof that it was covered for someone else they will do it for me under the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 10:29 PM   #102
edelossantos
EDS328i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Gray 328i Coupe

SULEV Warranty

2011 E92 N51

1) During the engine fire recall, a tech noticed a failing part (I forgot which one) and was replaced along with the valve cover gasket
2) Check engine light = new EGR valve
3) Coolant loss = crack on top of radiator, replaced. During this repair, I went ahead and paid for all the radiator hoses to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 02:17 PM   #103
4Shadowe90
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisf0rcalvin View Post
a. Changed my spark plugs over the weekend and I noticed oil seeping into one of the cylinders. Other dealer said only VCG covered if it involves check engine light but said I had a crack in the cover. Brought it to another dealer for an oil change and mentioned that and SULEV. SA said he would ask for me. Changed out the valve cover under SULEV.

b) 96 for the oil change

c) SULEV covered

d) No

e) No

Done at BMW of Henderson , car registered in CA
Do you have any paperwork for the valve cover change under warranty? My dealership are assholes and won’t cover the valve cover unless I show them proof of someone else who got it covered under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 10:36 PM   #104
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

Just had my VCG done under SULEV warranty. I’m experiencing a rough idle. I see coils are covered, however, are spark plugs also covered?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 04:32 PM   #105
surge98
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW m240i

cylinder head coverage

e46reg, do you have the name of a service advisor or contact from BMWNA who helped you with this? I have the exact same issue, a secondary air pump light caused by carbon buildup in the cylinder head. I think it should be covered because the issue causes the car to fail an emissions test, but the dealer told me to call BMW and BMW told me to ask the dealer. The dealership quoted $4500 to fix it, so I'm desperately trying to put them in touch with someone who can confirm that it should be covered. Yours is the second instance in this thread of someone getting a cylinder head covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46reg View Post

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 06:06 PM   #106
e46reg
Registered
Rep

surge98, I replied to your PM. Best of luck but with persistence, you can get the head replaced under SULEV warranty!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 06:08 PM   #107
e46reg
Registered
Rep

Oh and xsil20x has gotten his replaced by SULEV warranty as well after numerous visits to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 06:15 AM   #108
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Keep sharing your experiences so others may benefit as well!
      08-28-2019, 08:23 AM   #109
surge98
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW m240i

I'm still fighting over the cylinder head, but I have managed to get all of the following covered under the SULEV warranty for my 2010 128i:

fuel pump and control module
ignition coils (but not spark plugs)
eccentric shaft sensor
valve cover gasket
secondary air pump and valve
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 08:57 PM   #110
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

If you had work done, and paid for it that was covered under the SULEV warranty. The dealer should give you a service credit. That’s what my dealer did. I Paid for the VCG, so they gave me a full brake job, brake fluid flush, and installed new wipers.
Appreciate 0