E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > After numerous searches, I give on Enhanced Bluetooth

09-10-2019, 12:22 AM   #1
bluesy_cube
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F22 M235i xDrive

After numerous searches, I give on Enhanced Bluetooth

Hi friends,

So when I bought my car, it came with some nice options but not all.
Simply put, it had bluetooth call ability, but not able to stream music via bluetooth.

With CIC iDrive, BMW Assist app in CIC, I was happy to make a call or receive a call. It still works with my Android phone that is on the latest OS. It even works with the third party apps using call function, which is nice!!

But still no streaming music option.

The car is from 2011, but had the manufacture date of April 2010. Looking into the trunk, I can confirm that I have TCU/MULF and not MULF 2 nor combox.
Looking at VO list, I have

$609 Professional Navi system
$620 Voice Control
$639 Preparation for mobile phone ($640 for Canada specific?)
$6FL USB/AUX via arm rest holster
and useless $6AB and $6AA

I was looking everywhere within the forum but regarding TCU, it is all about retrofitting.
There was no other case that had the same start as me where my mic and bluetooth are already enabled for usage because of phone call ability.

Wishing that simple VO coding will enable Enhanced Bluetooth for streaming music, I searched and searched and I finally give up.

It seems like my option for the cheapest bluetooth music stream would be exterior BT device...

Maybe I should be thinking upgrading MULF to MULF 2 hi sys?

Last edited by bluesy_cube; 09-10-2019 at 12:23 AM.. Reason: Added $639 description
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 12:43 AM   #2
flgfish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91, 2015 911 C2

Pretty sure you need a combox retrofit to get EBT on your car.
https://www.bimmer-tech.net/blog/ite...nced-bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 01:06 AM   #3
bluesy_cube
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgfish View Post
Pretty sure you need a combox retrofit to get EBT on your car.
https://www.bimmer-tech.net/blog/ite...nced-bluetooth
Thanks for the tip, but I am not looking for combox retrofit as the combox unit is costing too much even for used! That's just too expensive for me.

Replacing CIC head unit to something like AVIN android device would be my choice if I had to go for combox retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 01:25 AM   #4
flgfish
Private First Class
Rep

I've had terrible experiences with 3rd party Android head units. I put an Eonon in my GMC and hated it. Integration was fine, but it booted SLOW, the apps were unpolished & clunky (the FM tuner app was horrendous) and it didn't support things like HD or satellite radio. It also crashed often. I pulled it out & put in a Pioneer and was happy.

Also installed a Joying into a Chevy for a friend. Same basic POS as the Eonon.

Never used an AVIN, maybe they're better. Be sure they have a solid return policy before you buy, though, in case it really sucks.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 01:31 AM   #5
bluesy_cube
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I've had terrible experiences with 3rd party Android head units. I put an Eonon in my GMC and hated it. Integration was fine, but it booted SLOW, the apps were unpolished & clunky (the FM tuner app was horrendous) and it didn't support things like HD or satellite radio. It also crashed often. I pulled it out & put in a Pioneer and was happy.

Never used an AVIN, maybe they're better. Be sure they have a solid return policy before you buy, though, in case it really sucks.

Actually, after your sincere replies, I've searched a bit more and it seems like TCU/MULF -> Combox retrofit doesn't sound as bad as I thought.
Buying used combox from ebay sounds like a $200 option which I can definitely try out!!

You made me to rethink about aftermarket replacement head units.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 07:01 AM   #6
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:

Not sure which models you tested, older eonons were definitely bad, but I've been impressed with their octacore 9165B. Fast, smooth, good sound quality, etc.

Like most Chinese products, there are a few that are worthy amongst a bunch of crap, you just need to research to find the right one.

With eonon, it's 9165B. Not 9165A, or even their newer 9365, despite being newer that unit is quad core vs the octacore in 9165B.
Attached Images

09-10-2019, 09:22 AM   #7
flgfish
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-323i View Post
Not sure which models you tested, older eonons were definitely bad, but I've been impressed with their octacore 9165B. Fast, smooth, good sound quality, etc.

Like most Chinese products, there are a few that are worthy amongst a bunch of crap, you just need to research to find the right one.

With eonon, it's 9165B. Not 9165A, or even their newer 9365, despite being newer that unit is quad core vs the octacore in 9165B.
It was a GA7180 in an '11 GMC Acadia (had to look this up). Trash.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 10:34 AM   #8
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Yeah OP I had same dillemal for a while and eventually got a WMA3000B, Get BT music and steering wheel controls.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 11:48 AM   #9
bluesy_cube
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Yeah OP I had same dillemal for a while and eventually got a WMA3000B, Get BT music and steering wheel controls.
Isn't this iPhone only option
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 12:04 PM   #10
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesy_cube View Post
Isn't this iPhone only option
To have the album art and track info show up yes but if Android you can still use it with steering wheels control. I have a S9+ and my phone uses that for music and when I get a call it seamlessly switches to the native BMW car BT for calls. And when you press mute it pauses the track. It's perfect haha.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 04:29 PM   #11
bluesy_cube
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
To have the album art and track info show up yes but if Android you can still use it with steering wheels control. I have a S9+ and my phone uses that for music and when I get a call it seamlessly switches to the native BMW car BT for calls. And when you press mute it pauses the track. It's perfect haha.
Indeed that sounds like a perfect solution for me as well.
I use Galaxy S9, and no need track info as I usually listen to non-English tracks. I've seen my friends' Bimmers can't load non English characters anyways so track info is useless for me.
All I need is the steering wheel control for play/stop song and move to the next/previous songs.

I should really try out.

My one last question would be then... is the music via WMA3000B still done as AUX on CIC or does it recognize as USB input?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 04:48 PM   #12
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I use Galaxy S9, and no need track info as I usually listen to non-English tracks. I've seen my friends' Bimmers can't load non English characters anyways so track info is useless for me.
All I need is the steering wheel control for play/stop song and move to the next/previous songs.

I should really try out.

My one last question would be then... is the music via WMA3000B still done as AUX on CIC or does it recognize as USB input?
You both plug into AUX and USB but I do think the car reads it as USB.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 05:23 PM   #13
bluesy_cube
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Alright, if this works, this might be a better solution than combox retrofit for less than the half price.
Will order one and post the result once it arrives!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 11:03 PM   #14
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
Quote:

I should really try out.

USB used to read info and control track, but the audio signal will go through the aux
      09-11-2019, 07:14 AM   #15
kenship
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 323i

I was pretty much in the same boat as yours a few months ago.

Listen to Ali, he's knowledgeable and he's a good pal.

I'm working towards a GA9165B. But if you don't want to replace head unit, here's what I considered back then:

1. Use aux cable, honestly it's the simplest;
2. Use bluetooth music adapter, it's cheap, sound quality depends on the adapter;
3. Replace head unit, much more work, but I also installed rear cam and have nav, really don't want to mess with phone.

I'm in the process of installing the Eonon, also thinking to install amp etc. Experiencing some hiccup and hopefully to work through them soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 12:39 PM   #16
Thorin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91 6MT ZSP

I did all of this, with the goal of stock integration (no additional wiring, no kludgy speakers/mics hanging out, etc). Here is a breakdown.

Started with:
$639 Preparation for mobile phone
CD Changer prep
AUX in armrest

For the handsfree calling with steering wheel control:

Mulf2: $150 (used)
parts: Mulf2 bracket (BMW dealership), headliner microphone, BT antenna & BT speaker (that mount under steering wheel), mounting nuts (Fastenal).
Coding (did the WinXP/INPA route).

All-in-all it was about $300. And still didn't get BT Audio! I was using a BT adapter into the AUX, but the MULF2 wiring to add AUX and USB to the armrest requires additional wiring under the driver's seat (as it rerouted from the head unit when I coded for it). This was a step too far, and I didn't care for AUX that much, so I left it.

For BT Audio I ended up using a CD Changer emulator. This is the easiest option, costs about $120 for the module (eBay), plus $10 for connectors (DigiKey), and coding (this time I used BimmerGeeks ProTool- much easier!). This gets you more input options as well- from the module you can get AUX, BT Audio, USB, and SD Card. And it works with the steering wheel controls, interface is as it would be for the CD Changer (song/artist), and it switches over to the MULF2 and back for phone calls.
Appreciate 1
Ali-E90378.50
      09-11-2019, 10:33 PM   #17
bluesy_cube
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenship View Post
I was pretty much in the same boat as yours a few months ago.

Listen to Ali, he's knowledgeable and he's a good pal.

I'm working towards a GA9165B. But if you don't want to replace head unit, here's what I considered back then:

1. Use aux cable, honestly it's the simplest;
2. Use bluetooth music adapter, it's cheap, sound quality depends on the adapter;
3. Replace head unit, much more work, but I also installed rear cam and have nav, really don't want to mess with phone.

I'm in the process of installing the Eonon, also thinking to install amp etc. Experiencing some hiccup and hopefully to work through them soon.
I did more search after. It seems like WMA3000B would be the cheapest but still use AUX and no track info. All I get from $100 spending would be steering wheel button option and that's it.

I am already using option 2 from your list, not really happy.

I am actually searching for option 3, especially there's now Android 9 + 4gb ram head replacements are out there for just 450 CAD from China. This gives me another option to add backup camera without needing an emulator so I am looking for to it.

For now, I am sticking with WMA3000B but will think replacing the head unit next year. This year, gotta use those money into new CP + IC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorin View Post
I did all of this, with the goal of stock integration (no additional wiring, no kludgy speakers/mics hanging out, etc). Here is a breakdown.

Started with:
$639 Preparation for mobile phone
CD Changer prep
AUX in armrest

For the handsfree calling with steering wheel control:

Mulf2: $150 (used)
parts: Mulf2 bracket (BMW dealership), headliner microphone, BT antenna & BT speaker (that mount under steering wheel), mounting nuts (Fastenal).
Coding (did the WinXP/INPA route).

All-in-all it was about $300. And still didn't get BT Audio! I was using a BT adapter into the AUX, but the MULF2 wiring to add AUX and USB to the armrest requires additional wiring under the driver's seat (as it rerouted from the head unit when I coded for it). This was a step too far, and I didn't care for AUX that much, so I left it.

For BT Audio I ended up using a CD Changer emulator. This is the easiest option, costs about $120 for the module (eBay), plus $10 for connectors (DigiKey), and coding (this time I used BimmerGeeks ProTool- much easier!). This gets you more input options as well- from the module you can get AUX, BT Audio, USB, and SD Card. And it works with the steering wheel controls, interface is as it would be for the CD Changer (song/artist), and it switches over to the MULF2 and back for phone calls.
For BT audio stream, you need combox, not MULF2. However, it's a good thing that you got what you wanted. My goal was to have only one BT connection to the phone for call + music.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 11:48 PM   #18
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

This rather cheap box gives bluetooth streaming bluetooth phone
usb playback sd card play back and steering wheel contols and
avoids the aux.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...ight=bluetooth

Sounds just like the cd player for usb sd playback given the same
bit rate files . bluetooth streaming has less fidelity..

It has the basic steering wheel controls .
Kind of an awkward way of changes sources.

You must have a car capable of being programmed for cdc I think.

works with pro radio I don't know what it does on an idrive.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 11:37 AM   #19
Thorin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91 6MT ZSP

Quote:
For BT audio stream, you need combox, not MULF2. However, it's a good thing that you got what you wanted. My goal was to have only one BT connection to the phone for call + music.
You would be correct; however I should note my system has Professional Radio, with the single-DIN factory head unit (which does not play nice with Combox).

If you have iDrive, then combox would be ideal.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 08:58 AM   #20
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

First thing you should ask yourself, is if you'll really gonna use A2DP function.

- In my audi I have a xtrons 8cores 4gb, which is amazing, and I bought it for waze and A2DP, and in 2.5 years I've use A2DP 2 times only....

Why, because All my fav playlist are in mp3 inside the device and I dont drive too much so I got bored and need a streaming service.

-This has been said, if you're using a streaming service, I believe since you switch song less often, a AUX cable is ok solution.

-For MP3 control, in my F25 I choose a usb stick with WIFI integrated, so when I want a new song I got it from my cell phone then transfer it to the stick. Then on the idrive I can select songs.

https://www.sandisk.com/home/mobile-...wireless-stick

- But ! - Im in for a solution, like a simple module. this would be nice and OEM

Last edited by oVeRdOsE.; 09-16-2019 at 09:03 AM..
Appreciate 1
Ali-E90378.50
      09-16-2019, 09:08 AM   #21
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE. View Post
First thing you should ask yourself, is if you'll really gonna use A2DP function.

- In my audi I have a xtrons 8cores 4gb, which is amazing, and I bought it for waze and A2DP, and in 2.5 years I've use A2DP 2 times only....

Why, because All my fav playlist are in mp3 inside the device and I dont drive too much so I got bored and need a streaming service.
You're like the total opposite from me! I rarely play music directly from my device (get bored of songs easily, too much work to keep changing what's on my SD card etc.), so A2DP is a MUST for me (and many other I know).

Even for streaming services it makes sense, as I stream directly from my phone (rather than tether my phone, and then open a separate app on the HU). Of course, if your HU has a SIM card maybe this is preferable.

At the end of the day, as you eluded to, it's really a question of how each of us plan to use the unit, and what features are most important. But living without A2DP is out of the question for me... and I hate using AUX cables etc.
      09-16-2019, 10:02 AM   #22
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-323i View Post
You're like the total opposite from me! I rarely play music directly from my device (get bored of songs easily, too much work to keep changing what's on my SD card etc.), so A2DP is a MUST for me (and many other I know).

Even for streaming services it makes sense, as I stream directly from my phone (rather than tether my phone, and then open a separate app on the HU). Of course, if your HU has a SIM card maybe this is preferable.

At the end of the day, as you eluded to, it's really a question of how each of us plan to use the unit, and what features are most important. But living without A2DP is out of the question for me... and I hate using AUX cables etc.
of course if you're into streaming,( im not in 2019 yet ) , like spotify A2DP is a must.

On my xtrons, im using Ymusic for streaming, which I rarely use btw.
No sim, I did a ''tasker'' command to hotspot my phone when it detect the headunit bluetooth connection. So it share the cellphone's data.

If a wifi stick exist, is it possible that a USB stick with BT A2DP, controlled with the OEM bmw headunit button exist? Shouldn't be that hard to fabricate, I mean, the stick could simulate a ''live'' mp3, and when you press ''next'' on the headunit, the stick send a command to switch song on the phone and reproduce a 2nd ''live'' .mp3....

Last edited by oVeRdOsE.; 09-16-2019 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 1
Ali-E90378.50