E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BMW PE + AFE Midpipes?

05-06-2016, 12:15 PM   #23
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

In my case, the old bolts/studs were actually rusted together, so I had to cut the bolts off with a dremel, of course in the process my studs got destroyed, so I had to drill those out because they were rust-fused to the exhaust manifold. Long story short... probably would be a good idea to have new bolts and studs available.

Time estimate is hard to say... I tend to work slow and methodically and I want to say it took me the better part of an evening to actually drop the old exhaust and put the new one in (using jackstands/working alone). That's not including the time I spent just trying to get the old exhaust off. The hardest/most time-consuming part is honestly just tightening the bolts down on the studs, the tiny workspace means you're only making 1/16 turns at-a-time before you need to adjust your wrench.
      05-06-2016, 12:31 PM   #24
overdrivex
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Miata, 2006 Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel
In my case, the old bolts/studs were actually rusted together, so I had to cut the bolts off with a dremel, of course in the process my studs got destroyed, so I had to drill those out because they were rust-fused to the exhaust manifold. Long story short... probably would be a good idea to have new bolts and studs available.

Time estimate is hard to say... I tend to work slow and methodically and I want to say it took me the better part of an evening to actually drop the old exhaust and put the new one in (using jackstands/working alone). That's not including the time I spent just trying to get the old exhaust off. The hardest/most time-consuming part is honestly just tightening the bolts down on the studs, the tiny workspace means you're only making 1/16 turns at-a-time before you need to adjust your wrench.
Thanks for the input! Im going to crawl under there and see what its like...might just take it to a shop.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 09:21 PM   #25
overdrivex
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel

Hey, just a question about the gasket...do I remove the little covering with the flap on it, or leave it on there?
Attached Images

Last edited by overdrivex; 05-07-2016 at 08:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 07:48 PM   #26
tonyjcchen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi 6sp

let me know how it goes. I heard that the afe racepipes dont fit the xi models because of the transfercase. you would have to get it modified to fit.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 09:02 PM   #27
overdrivex
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjcchen View Post
let me know how it goes. I heard that the afe racepipes dont fit the xi models because of the transfercase. you would have to get it modified to fit.
I'll report back when I get them installed at the shop. On AFE's website, it lists compatibility for the 328xi...will see how it goes:

Quote:
Also Fits:
BMW 328xi/328i xDrive (E92/E93) 07-13 L6-3.0L non-turbo
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 09:04 AM   #28
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrivex View Post
Hey, just a question about the gasket...do I remove the little covering with the flap on it, or leave it on there?
No idea, I didn't do anything with it.
      05-16-2016, 03:12 PM   #29
overdrivex
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Got a call from the shop that they have to modify the pipes to fit...looks like they aren't direct bolt on for the XI models. Anxiously waiting to bring the car home now and see how it is!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 03:56 PM   #30
overdrivex
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

They called back and are going to keep it overnight and going to scan it tomorrow...they said the CEL came on after the delete and the car went into limp mode after installing the pipes? I believe this is a different problem because earlier, my car did throw a SES light and start to idle rough, but then I turned the car off and back on, and it was back to normal again. I'm not sure what is going on...I'm just hoping the shop can figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 08:25 PM   #31
tonyjcchen
Enlisted Member
Rep

darn! alright keep us updated!

Quote:
They called back and are going to keep it overnight and going to scan it tomorrow...they said the CEL came on after the delete and the car went into limp mode after installing the pipes? I believe this is a different problem because earlier, my car did throw a SES light and start to idle rough, but then I turned the car off and back on, and it was back to normal again. I'm not sure what is going on...I'm just hoping the shop can figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 09:32 PM   #32
overdrivex
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjcchen View Post
darn! alright keep us updated!
Sure will! Interested to see what they find tomorrow...and how expensive its gonna be!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 09:38 AM   #33
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Secondary cats are downstream of the secondary O2 sensors, so unless the shop broke something your SES should be unrelated to this work.
      05-17-2016, 05:30 PM   #34
overdrivex
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
Secondary cats are downstream of the secondary O2 sensors, so unless the shop broke something your SES should be unrelated to this work.
Yeah thats what I was thinking...when they ran the codes, they said they found misfires, so I'm thinking changing the coils and plugs may help with that. However, when I got home and read it with my code reader, I got the code P0056, which apparently is an O2 sensor code. I'm not sure whats going on here...

Exhaust sounds real nice now though! I'll get a sound clip of it after I get this engine light figured out. Don't want to push the car too hard before then.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 07:52 PM   #35
overdrivex
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just went out to drive it, and found that if I push the gas hard, the car will go into limp mode and start to idle rough. Im thinking I should change out the coils and plugs, and see if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 05:24 PM   #36
tonyjcchen
Enlisted Member
Rep

how much did the shop charge?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 05:30 PM   #37
overdrivex
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjcchen
how much did the shop charge?
Since they had to modify it, they charged me $200...probably more than i should have paid, but i went to a performance shop.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 09:08 AM   #38
overdrivex
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just going to update you guys on what has happened. Everything is in working order now! The SES was caused by a failed evaporative (?) pump and an O2 Sensor. Got those replaced out, and everything works again! The pipes paired with the PE sound AMAZING!!! A definite increase in sound, especially down in the lower RPMs...a lot more pops and gurgles. I really like it and would recommend it! Maybe a muffler delete next?
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2016, 03:58 AM   #39
Jacobi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 325i

I cant find the AFE mid pipe for a 325i N53 E93. Apart from supersprint which brands have mid pipes?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 11:29 PM   #40
_JoeyDonuts
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 e93 M SPORT

Garage List
2013 E93 335I  [10.00]
Quote:
Just going to update you guys on what has happened. Everything is in working order now! The SES was caused by a failed evaporative (?) pump and an O2 Sensor. Got those replaced out, and everything works again! The pipes paired with the PE sound AMAZING!!! A definite increase in sound, especially down in the lower RPMs...a lot more pops and gurgles. I really like it and would recommend it! Maybe a muffler delete next?
any vids i can hear the sound? i have pe on now, and can get used mid pipes with only 3k miles on them for like 150, wanna hear before buying
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 02:04 PM   #41
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...7#post15895197
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2019, 04:40 PM   #42
Deluvio2527
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Sorry for dumb question so you dont have the secondary cat or resonator anymore right? thinking to do the same thing now. thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 09:39 PM   #43
ronjonsoflo
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 328i

Here's what this setup sounds like, with an added bottle style resonator to eliminate drone. It's a great way to get a growl out of this engine, very satisfied with this setup.
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2019, 09:05 PM   #44
AWSB328iM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjonsoflo View Post
Here's what this setup sounds like, with an added bottle style resonator to eliminate drone. It's a great way to get a growl out of this engine, very satisfied with this setup.
How much drone are we talking? From what people have said there isn't any when replacing the secondary cats with an AFE or Supersprint midpipe. I've already got the PE muffler with resonator delete installed. Looking to remove the secondary cats next.
Appreciate 0