E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Spongy Brakes After Pad Change

06-11-2017, 12:18 PM   #1
320IN54
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i, 2021 BMW M2C

Spongy Brakes After Pad Change

I just changed my brake pads yesterday and when I went for a test drive the brakes felt spongy and mushy. The car wasn't like this before the brake change and after some research it turns out that some air might have gotten into the system. How is that possible when I never opened the brake fluid reservoir or touched the brake bleeding system?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 12:33 PM   #2
racermp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 330i

Drive it around a few days, it will improve. Pads and rotors have to wear on each other a bit.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 07:25 AM   #3
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

Two ways air can get into the system without open the bleeders:

- Air can slip by the piston seal in the caliper. Usually you have a leaky piston seal when this happens, but it can happen.
- Brake fluid attracts and absorbs water from the atmosphere. Once water is in the brake fluid, the heat of braking can cause it to boil, and while not 'air', this will make the brakes feel spongy.

While you may want to wait a day, if you have not changed the brake fluid in the past 2 years as recommended, if the spongy feeling continues you should change fluid and bleed the system.
      06-12-2017, 07:56 AM   #4
LGCubana
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i sedan

Same thing in my Audi.

My theory: compressing the calipers/pistons for a prolonged time (during the brake job) allows any impurities (water or air) to accumulate into a larger, singular deposit.; which you notice the very first time that you apply the brake pedal, after the pads are changed.

I would've been suspect of the mechanic hitting me for a bogus repair (bleeding the brake lines), except for the fact that the work was done myself and a friend. So like you, I know that nothing was done to bugger the brake lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotPwned View Post
I just changed my brake pads yesterday and when I went for a test drive the brakes felt spongy and mushy. The car wasn't like this before the brake change and after some research it turns out that some air might have gotten into the system. How is that possible when I never opened the brake fluid reservoir or touched the brake bleeding system?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 08:06 AM   #5
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

It's normal. The pads need to bed in and it'll feel firm again.
Appreciate 1
racermp190.00
      06-12-2017, 09:12 AM   #6
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by racermp View Post
Drive it around a few days, it will improve. Pads and rotors have to wear on each other a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
It's normal. The pads need to bed in and it'll feel firm again.
What they said.
Appreciate 1
racermp190.00
      05-25-2022, 04:13 AM   #7
Ayodegi
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 330d LCI

Hello All,
As this thread does not seem to have a solution I will share one of mine. I'ver registered to this forum to write it. I vent trough tens of threads regarding similar problems and most of them do not have any solutions or they had solutions I dried already.

I had exactly same "spongy" brake pedal feeling after rotor and pads replacenent.
I thought that it's because of new pads, that they have to set with new rotors but after few houndreds kilometers it did not change. In a matter of fact it got worse. So despite not openieng brake system during the change I've decided to flush brake fluid. I did it like 4-5 times, even in shop under pressure. It did help a litte bit but still not to the point I felt safe with pedal response. Next thing I did was to buy used master cylinder and replace mine with it, it did changfe feeling for a better but still not to the point it did satisfy me, so I thought maybe this new/used MC was damaged or I did damege it when I was bleeding my brake system (according to ATE you should not use pedal method because you can wear and tear cylinder seals, MC does not operate in max floor position normally as it does during 2-person bleeding method) so I bought new MC (OE ATE) and supprise, supprise it did not change a thing! Total waste of money. My last idea before I was going to swap my calipers/ DSC pump was to bleed out system once more, this time with all caliper pistons pushed in (to make sure that no air pocket reside in cylinder) during that I did not discover any air bubbles, but what I have discovered was that my rear left piston was stuck (I could not press it in with my fingers despite opened bleeding screw). I had to use tool to push piston back to the caliper, then press brake pedal to push it out. I did that couple of times to make sure that I will be able to push piston back with my hand. After that, I bled system once more with pressure bleeder and INPA, adapted DSC and it works perfectly. Brakes are sharp, pedal feels much better (1cm of pedal travel before it enagages in comparison to 50% travel before). If I would find it earlier it probably would cost me nothing to fix it, so it is worth a shot. Brake system is realy hard to diagnose...

I hope my explanation was clear enough, if you will have any questions, just let me know
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 06:27 AM   #8
jadams161
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i. 2011 E90 328xi

You need to bed the new pads in correctly. There are lots of video's by various pad manufactures on how to do this procedure. There is nothing wrong with your car or the calipers.
Appreciate 0