E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > oil out of the passenger side wheel well, exhaust, and coolant reservoir

07-22-2021, 01:48 AM   #1
YJN54x
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i xdrive n54

oil out of the passenger side wheel well, exhaust, and coolant reservoir

Hey guys,
The other day I was driving down the highway when my oil level decreased by about 1/4 from full. It was a long drive and I stopped and topped off with under half a quart. I kept driving about 120 miles until the car jumped into limp mode. I read the codes and it was knock sensor 2. I pulled over and heard a slight knocking sound from around cylinder 5/6 (didn't sound like rod knock. I turned the car off and that is when I noticed the passenger wheel well was soaked in oil and got all over the passenger doors. The trunk and rear bumper were also covered in oil coming from the exhaust. I thought my turbos seals gave out until I towed the car home and opened the coolant reservoir. It was filled with oil and extremely milky. The car wasn't smoking prior to this so I didn't think it would be the head gasket. Any thoughts? I checked the oil filter for metal already I cut it open and checked using a magnet and there was nothing. I was running liqui moly molygen and used black light the only oil I can find around the engine was near the passenger side engine mount. Oil filter housing gaskets have been changed and I checked them there are no leaks plus the amount of oil in the reservoir is a lot. Any help or ideas are appreciated! I have pictures if need be.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 09:42 PM   #2
Groganrocket
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 335i and 2015m4

Coolant is milky probably head gasket I wound think.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 09:20 AM   #3
E93Dude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 MT6

Garage List
2007 BMW E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groganrocket View Post
Coolant is milky probably head gasket I wound think.
Yep, you have failure of an internal gasket, probably head gasket. When you replaced the oil filter housing gasket, did you all replace the gasket for the oil coolant lines (if yours is a 335; 328 does not have an oil cooler)? In any case, if you have oil in the coolant and vice versa, you are going to have to flush both systems, and replace the head gasket - a mess. But at least its recoverable, not a failing that blows the motor (probably).