E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > E93 Andream MMI - OEM Microphone?

08-22-2021, 05:19 AM   #1
ManhattanFlash
Rep
Drives: E93 335i N54/DCT

E93 Andream MMI - OEM Microphone?

Hi All,

I tried searching the forum but couldn't find a definitive answer.

This week I installed the Andream MMI unit in my E93 with CIC and got everything working apart from the microphone.

I know that the OEM microphone I have is installed in the steering column rather than the roof of the car like the E90/91/92.

Can anyone confirm if the OEM one can be easily linked? From the instructions it looks like I have to put part of the kit I received between the microphone and the OEM wire for it to work, but I'm not 100% on this.

I am currently running the MMI without the microphone as I wanted to check before taking apart the column!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 02:42 PM   #2
Shiftylee
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Convertible M Sport

Same boat. Installing a Road Top MMI and backup camera in an e93. I am using the after market mic included because I'm not brave enough to rip apart the steering column with the airbag under there. I want to see a DIY or instructions first before I risk monkeying around with that steering column. Also, out of curiosity, how are you wiring the backup camera? Using the reverse light and chassis for ground or using the 12v and Ground wires from the harness that came with the Andream?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 03:52 PM   #3
ManhattanFlash
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftylee View Post
Same boat. Installing a Road Top MMI and backup camera in an e93. I am using the after market mic included because I'm not brave enough to rip apart the steering column with the airbag under there. I want to see a DIY or instructions first before I risk monkeying around with that steering column. Also, out of curiosity, how are you wiring the backup camera? Using the reverse light and chassis for ground or using the 12v and Ground wires from the harness that came with the Andream?
Hopefully someone else can shine some light on this for us! Next time I've got a spare day, I may give it a go.

I didn't the reversing camera so can't help you with that I'm afraid!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 04:45 AM   #4
ManhattanFlash
Rep

Quote:
Manage to get it sorted?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 07:28 PM   #5
Renegadenick
Petrol Head
Rep
Drives: Slow Cars

Garage List
Tapping into the steering column microphone is straight forward. You can use trim removal tools to separate the top and bottom parts of the shell carefully to not cause any cosmetic damage. It will get tight as there is not a lot of room to work with and the factory microphone harness is taut, but it is nothing crazy difficult. Just make sure you run the wire so that it does not interfere with the steering shaft when you drive.

@Nicholastran213
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 01:54 AM   #6
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

Morning,
I've done a full install video on this very subject, although for my E89 it is the same position for the microphone as the E93 (top of the steering column).
Here's the video, if you jump to 20:39 I run through how to remove the panels and how to connect up the wire....

Hope that helps.... in fact the whole video may be of use to some of you thinking about fitting one of these, well except for removing the other panels etc but that's covered in many other YouTube videos.

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 1
ImBlue30.00
      09-07-2021, 06:46 AM   #7
ManhattanFlash
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesZed View Post
Morning,
I've done a full install video on this very subject, although for my E89 it is the same position for the microphone as the E93 (top of the steering column).
Here's the video, if you jump to 20:39 I run through how to remove the panels and how to connect up the wire....

Hope that helps.... in fact the whole video may be of use to some of you thinking about fitting one of these, well except for removing the other panels etc but that's covered in many other YouTube videos.
Thanks Dave! That is exactly what I was looking for, will definitely be doing this soon!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 09:42 AM   #8
Shiftylee
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanFlash View Post
Quote:
Manage to get it sorted?
The backup camera wiring worked well, I'm glad I decided to avoid using the tail light for 12v and chassis for ground (never a good idea). I just went ahead and used the aftermarket mic for now and it has worked well. I think I'm going to attempt to wire up the OEM mic instead this weekend so 8'll follow up with how that went now that someone has confirmed it is possible.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 02:12 PM   #9
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Where are you guys stashing the actual MMI box? I watched a video where they were able to stash it above the CIC unit and right behind the HVAC controls, but I can't get mine to slide in deep enough.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 05:42 AM   #10
ManhattanFlash
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
Where are you guys stashing the actual MMI box? I watched a video where they were able to stash it above the CIC unit and right behind the HVAC controls, but I can't get mine to slide in deep enough.
I think I managed to get mine in the fair right corner with the wiring along the bottom and into the bottom left corner.

Been a while, but managed to get some of it behind the HVAC
      03-13-2022, 08:06 AM   #11
Spartanrob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i convertible

Just got mine installed in my e93. Used the mic from Andream. Put the box under the glovebox. Hoping to try the reverse camera next weekend. Was there enough wiring supplied or did you have to buy more?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 10:59 AM   #12
Shiftylee
Rep

I had to install my behind the HVAC controls. It was tight but it did fit. There was not enough slack from the connection to the monitor to go anywhere else. I've seen where some manufacturers provide an extension cable so it will reach all the way under the glove box. I'd like to try that as it provide easy access and I'd prefer to not remove my CIC again and just have to remove the glovebox which is much less intrusive.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 11:59 AM   #13
conix67
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
The backup camera wiring worked well, I'm glad I decided to avoid using the tail light for 12v and chassis for ground (never a good idea). I just went ahead and used the aftermarket mic for now and it has worked well. I think I'm going to attempt to wire up the OEM mic instead this weekend so 8'll follow up with how that went now that someone has confirmed it is possible.
I'll be installing the Road Top unit. How did you wire up the backup camera not using the tail light for reverse gear indication (I have 6MT)?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 07:59 PM   #14
youssefnaggar
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Garage List
2011 e90  [0.00]
does anyone know a place in london where i can buy a mmi like andream for a e90
Appreciate 0