E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Backup Camera Wiring to MMI Harness

08-25-2021, 02:51 PM   #1
Shiftylee
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Convertible M Sport

Backup Camera Wiring to MMI Harness

I am installing a Road Top MMI and a back up camera to my 2012 E93 (CIC). I am trying to avoid using the reverse lights for 12v and chassis for ground. What I am wondering is can I use the "12v Backup Camera" and "Ground" wires in MMI harness to power the backup camera instead? I'm positive that the 12v is providing 12 ACC but I'm not certain that ground wire is going to effectively ground the camera. That *appears* what it is for -- grounding a backup camera, 360 camera, and/or DVD player since there are unique video inputs for all three. I am also uncertain if I need both the "12v Backup Camera" and "Backup Detect" connected. I have the power to the camera connected to the "12v Backup Camera" *and* the red wire attached the video cable connected to the "Backup Connect" wire. Are they doing separate things? There is no documentation from Road Top on this and their tech support couldn't care less. I know this unit is very similar to the Andream unit which is quite popular on these forums but I've never seen anyone not use the reverse lights for power. Any advice would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 09:59 PM   #2
robbiss7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI, F10 LCI

I wired power on the backup cam to the 12v ACC on the MMI harness. Didn’t use the ground wire. Also, you can test the backup camera on an older tv with a RCA connection to verify it works.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 03:53 PM   #3
Shiftylee
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiss7 View Post
I wired power on the backup cam to the 12v ACC on the MMI harness. Didn't use the ground wire. Also, you can test the backup camera on an older tv with a RCA connection to verify it works.
Thanks. Did you run the ground wire from the camera to anything?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 12:00 PM   #4
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftylee View Post
Thanks. Did you run the ground wire from the camera to anything?
It's gotta go somewhere.
      01-28-2023, 11:04 AM   #5
Shiftylee
Rep

To close the loop on my own post for future generations, I ran the 12v, ground, and backup up to the MMI unit. On my model the camera signal and reverse wire are bundled in the same cable so it was easy. I used a wire nut to connect the ground and 12v output from the camera to the MMI 12v ACC and ground. Be cautious when wiring it behind the convertible top; if not done correctly the top mechanism will cut the wire! It needs to go completely behind the entire mechanism. This is not always obvious as you can't get a good view from outside the trunk and it is easy to thread the cables through the mechanism if you aren't looking from the right angle.
Appreciate 0