E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > ABS Ring replacement

06-04-2017, 12:03 PM   #1
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

ABS Ring replacement

Hi All,

My cruise control doesn't work and was told by the dealer it was the ABS sensor rear passenger side. Never really been bothered about it but I had a look at it today and was very confused. After prying out the sensor which was quite dirty I had a look down the hole expecting to see the ABS Ring teeth but I couldn't see anything? It literally looked like flat metal to the point of where I couldn't say if there was one there or not.. I couldn't disengage the brakes to give the hub a spin because my Jack didn't look like it was going to last long as it bent haha..

But I just wanted to know if anyone else has come across this? Is it possible for the teeth to wear down to the point where it looks flat or maybe for the ring to snap? I'm quite surprised I have no dashboard errors.

Then the next question.. what tools (other than sockets and spanners) are needed to replace?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 04:14 PM   #2
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSweet1991 View Post
Hi All,

My cruise control doesn't work and was told by the dealer it was the ABS sensor rear passenger side. Never really been bothered about it but I had a look at it today and was very confused. After prying out the sensor which was quite dirty I had a look down the hole expecting to see the ABS Ring teeth but I couldn't see anything? It literally looked like flat metal to the point of where I couldn't say if there was one there or not.. I couldn't disengage the brakes to give the hub a spin because my Jack didn't look like it was going to last long as it bent haha..

But I just wanted to know if anyone else has come across this? Is it possible for the teeth to wear down to the point where it looks flat or maybe for the ring to snap? I'm quite surprised I have no dashboard errors.

Then the next question.. what tools (other than sockets and spanners) are needed to replace?
Where does the sensor read as it may be on the side meaning that you can't see the ring teeth through the sensor hole?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 03:39 AM   #3
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len_Beach View Post
Where does the sensor read as it may be on the side meaning that you can't see the ring teeth through the sensor hole?
Now I can't say for sure but I watched a YouTube video fixing the ABS sensor on an E90 and when the man removed the ABS sensor you could see the ABS ring teeth directly inline with the hole.

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 01:36 PM   #4
hp88
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

Had this problem last year, you need to order yourself a pair of ABS Reluctor Rings, I have linked the supplier I used. I paid about £100 for the labour plus £30 for the rings.

Did BMW physically check anything or did they just plug in a diagnostic kit? You can see the corrosion / rust as soon as you get the car on the ramps. It's a common fault which any good garage will spot, BMW will probably tell you that you need two new drive shafts as they don't sell the rings as a separate part.

https://www.ukpartsdirect.com/abs-re...tor-rings.html
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 02:19 PM   #5
p1973rsr911
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328x Xdrive

Has anyone replaced a reluctor ring on the front of a e90 with Xdrive? I have a bad ring and I would like to know if the standard 78.9mm x 83mm 84 slot rings would fit. I suspect the answer is no because the above mentioned ring always list the application as rear.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 08:55 PM   #6
mrjimyjohn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 328i xdrive

I just paid my indy to do this. Cant tell you the part number but can confirm they changed only the reluctor ring and not the whole shaft. $30 parts $400 labour
Appreciate 0