E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > AC Warm and Intermittent Rattling from Belt/Pulley Area

05-04-2019, 12:15 AM   #1
xanman72
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

AC Warm and Intermittent Rattling from Belt/Pulley Area

I turned on the AC in my car a few days ago and the air never seemed to get cold. I blasted it and even after 15 minutes it still stayed warm. Today, I checked the refrigerant level and it was still full.

I also noticed an intermittent whirring noise coming from the belt/pulley area. Perhaps this a compressor or clutch causing this issue? Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 09:50 AM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanman72 View Post
...I turned on the AC in my car a few days ago and the air never seemed to get cold...even after 15 minutes it still stayed warm. Today, I checked the refrigerant level and it was still full. [HOW did you check "refrigerant level"? Did you connect a gauge to one or both ports, high & low sides? If so, what readings did you get, motor running, motor off, ambient temp, radiator/condenser fan running, etc?] I also noticed an intermittent whirring noise coming from the belt/pulley area...
I presume the "snowflake" button on the right side of the A/C Control Panel functions, with green LED lit, when compressor valve should be activated to refrigerate? Your model does NOT have a clutch at the pulley, but rather a valve internal in the compressor opens & closes to cause the compresor to "pump" R-134a refrigerant.

If you have INPA or other BMW-specific software/scan tool that can read inputs to the IHKA (A/C Control Module), you can read Refrigerant Pressure as measured by the sensor in the high side line between the condenser and the evaporator, you can read the Evaporator Temperature as measured by a sensor at the evaporator coil in the dash, and you can monitor flap positions, including position of the two flaps that direct cooled air through the heater core to regulate air output temperature.

So without connecting anything but your laptop to the OBD II socket, you can quickly diagnose the cause of your issue with NO cool air from the vents.

There are some ways to test the system WITHOUT utilizing such data readouts electronically, so please let us know answers to questions above and WHAT scan tool/software, or manifold gauges you have, and we can suggest other tests.

George
Appreciate 0