E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Aftermarket headlights?

06-01-2020, 04:56 PM   #1
Franzy
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Aftermarket headlights?

Anyone know where I could find some aftermarket headlights that are reliable. Im looking for 5500k-6000k (alpine/bright white). Just not to familiar when it comes to aftermarket headlights. Also are they places that sell the unit with the led light that goes across the top of the headlight.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 05:00 PM   #2
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

99% of aftermarket headlights are trash. The only way to get a good headlight is to go OEM, or modify an aftermarket housing with a quality lens from another OEM.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 05:17 PM   #3
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

Agreed the aftermarket ones are absolute trash, they may look kind of cool initially but they will break quickly and will begin to yellow very quickly due to the poor UV insulation.

there are people out there that will modify your existing headlight to fit your lighting preferences while still keeping the factory quality of the majority of the components. Keep in mind that once a headlight has been modified it likely will never seal 100% and could suffer from leaks at some point.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 06:25 PM   #4
Franzy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
99% of aftermarket headlights are trash. The only way to get a good headlight is to go OEM, or modify an aftermarket housing with a quality lens from another OEM.
I was thinking of getting LUX lights so at least my halo’s were white and vibrant. But I would hate it during the night when the cheap looking yellow halogens lights shine through them. I know you can LED’s for them but it doesn’t really work without the projector lenses. I don’t want to blind people coming towards me
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 06:36 PM   #5
uber
uber driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzy View Post
I was thinking of getting LUX lights so at least my halo’s were white and vibrant. But I would hate it during the night when the cheap looking yellow halogens lights shine through them. I know you can LED’s for them but it doesn’t really work without the projector lenses. I don’t want to blind people coming towards me
A couple of options:

1. Projector retrofit + LED angel eyes
2. Aftermarket LEDs + Osram night breakers

Things to consider:

The halogen headlight ring design is awful. The way the light is refracted through the rings results in a much dimmer result compared to the rings in xenon headlights.

It won't be worth it to drop money on LUX LEDs when the headlight design itself is bad.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 07:20 PM   #6
Franzy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber View Post
A couple of options:

1. Projector retrofit + LED angel eyes
2. Aftermarket LEDs + Osram night breakers

Things to consider:

The halogen headlight ring design is awful. The way the light is refracted through the rings results in a much dimmer result compared to the rings in xenon headlights.

It won't be worth it to drop money on LUX LEDs when the headlight design itself is bad.
Yes I agree on the bad design. The halls are practically invisible during the night. Anyway you could send me some links/YouTube videos on #1 & #2, so I can have a better idea. Appreciate it man
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 10:55 PM   #7
Franzy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
Going for this look. Would you have a link or a website that would direct me into the right direction?

Love the flat bottom of the halo, would like a projector lens, that top led light going across looks very nice as well. I’m going to sit down tomorrow and do some research. Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 12:15 AM   #8
colorado.e9x
eBay Special
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [9.50]
2006 BMW 330xi  [10.00]
I have the headlights on the top pic (if you couldn't tell by my pfp). They're not bad, projector cutoff is a little rough but they do the trick. Highly recommend getting some led turn signal bulbs (that look more aluminum than yellow) to get rid of the egg yolk effect that the bulbs that come with the lights give.

I bought mine from VIPMotoz. There's a couple different models also so be sure to get the one with the HID kit (JD Cars did this on his old e90)
      06-02-2020, 10:25 AM   #9
uber
uber driver
Rep

Quote:
Yes I agree on the bad design. The halls are practically invisible during the night. Anyway you could send me some links/YouTube videos on #1 & #2, so I can have a better idea. Appreciate it man
View post on imgur.com

Here's a picture of my old car. LCI halogens that I converted over. I would just look up things like "projector retrofit" to get an idea of the process.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 11:56 AM   #10
Franzy
Rep

Quote:
View post on imgur.com

Here's a picture of my old car. LCI halogens that I converted over. I would just look up things like "projector retrofit" to get an idea of the process.
Wow those looks killer. Do you know where you bought them at?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 12:32 PM   #11
uber
uber driver
Rep

Quote:
Wow those looks killer. Do you know where you bought them at?
This was a long time ago, so I picked up everything from Umnitza. You can do the same off of theretrofitsource and bavgruppe

Here's what you'd need:

1. dtm angel eyes from bavgruppe
2. d2s projectors
3. HID wiring harness
4. d2s bulbs
5. d2s ballasts
6. project shrouds

It's a decent amount of work, but the results are great. Other option would be to do a xenon retrofit which will be easier, but cost a bit more.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 12:35 PM   #12
Franzy
Rep

Quote:
This was a long time ago, so I picked up everything from Umnitza. You can do the same off of theretrofitsource and bavgruppe

Here's what you'd need:

1. dtm angel eyes from bavgruppe
2. d2s projectors
3. HID wiring harness
4. d2s bulbs
5. d2s ballasts
6. project shrouds

It's a decent amount of work, but the results are great. Other option would be to do a xenon retrofit which will be easier, but cost a bit more.
Wow man thanks for the Info, do you remember how much you paid? I think I might do this. The result looks amazing
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 03:35 PM   #13
uber
uber driver
Rep

Quote:
Wow man thanks for the Info, do you remember how much you paid? I think I might do this. The result looks amazing
I think I got quite the deal from umnitza because the manager was feeling generous. I got what I listed, but instead of dtm angel eyes, I got orion v4's for around 410 out the door. I think you should expect your costs should be like this:

1. 220-240 for dtm angel eyes
2. 100-140 for a set of projectors
3. 20 or 40 for a cheap or decent wiring harness. I'd spend more for the harness of theretrofitsource.com
4. 50-80 for bulbs
5. 30-50 for ballasts
6. 10-20 for projector shrouds
Appreciate 0