Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Winter or All-Season??

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-27-2007, 03:43 AM   #1
IDreamofBimmers
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 VW GTI

Winter or All-Season??

Hello everyone!

I'm in need of new tires, going to get rid of my old RFTs and am debating on whether or not i should get all season tires or winter tires.

For all-season, I'm thinking of the follow:

Pirelli PZero Nero M&S
Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season
Yokohama ADVAN S.4.

For winter tires:
Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25

I live in the seattle area, so i'm thinking the all seasons would be ok year round. But I may move to Montreal next year.. so it's tough call...

Anyway... inputs would be appreciated. I keep reading mixed reviews about the A/S tires listed up there, so it's hard to decide
      11-27-2007, 12:20 PM   #2
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Just get the all-season right now. You're right, in Seattle you don't need winter tires.
If you move to Canada, you're going to want to get dedicated snow tires anyway, so just wait and see if you do move. Then you can get a new set of steel wheels for winter time (or a cheap set of aluminum wheels).
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 12:47 PM   #3
fanatic
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

If you are getting rid of your RFT and only have one set of tires, you can't run winter tires all year round (well technicaly you can but it's not good for the tires).

Seattle should be similar to Vancouver (weather-wise) and if you got snow and ice last night like we did, I'm not sure how good A/S would have worked for you. They are predicting a cold and wet winter this year (El Nina).

You can get away with A/S if you don't do alot of driving out of the city or live at higher elevations. Or if you have alternate choices of transportation for the 2 weeks that it does snow each year then A/S would be a fine choice.
      11-27-2007, 12:49 PM   #4
IDreamofBimmers
Captain
United_States
Rep

So out of the 3 A/S tires I listed... which do people recommend?

Pirelli PZero Nero M&S
Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season
Yokohama ADVAN S.4.

I was leaning twds the Pirelli, but not so sure anymore after reading some of the reviews... Any comments?
Are the Michellin Pilot A/S worth the $$?
      11-27-2007, 12:58 PM   #5
IDreamofBimmers
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic View Post
If you are getting rid of your RFT and only have one set of tires, you can't run winter tires all year round (well technicaly you can but it's not good for the tires).

Seattle should be similar to Vancouver (weather-wise) and if you got snow and ice last night like we did, I'm not sure how good A/S would have worked for you. They are predicting a cold and wet winter this year (El Nina).

You can get away with A/S if you don't do alot of driving out of the city or live at higher elevations. Or if you have alternate choices of transportation for the 2 weeks that it does snow each year then A/S would be a fine choice.
Do you have winter tires???
I have summer RFTs, and I was able to get home w/o a problem in the snow... granted i ran out of my office when it started snowing... but in the snow earlier this year they were terrible!!!
      11-27-2007, 02:54 PM   #6
fanatic
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Got Dunlop SP Wintersport 3D and wheels from TireRack (the Breytons are my winter set-up ).

I think that it is a must to have winter tires for RWD cars. I use to have an E320 Benz and ran Bridgestone Potenza RE950. These were a high performance all seasons and were essistially useless once there was more than an inch of snow on the ground. In last year's winter mess, I left the car in the garage for over a week (twice) and hitched a ride with a coworker because I couldn't even get off of my side road with these tires.

After that, I said that I would have winter tires for winter and summer tires for the rest of the year.

Be cautions if you're not changing your tires. If you have the Bridestone Potenza RE050 RFT that I have, these are not good for winter conditions let alone snow. It's too cold now and the tires cannot obtain the correct grip. Summer tires are garbage under 7C (44F). Don't wreck your ride for lack of tires.
      11-27-2007, 03:26 PM   #7
fanatic
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Here is an article in our local paper after yesterday's little snowfall.

Quote:
Traffic cops advise getting winter tires
Staff Reporter, The Province
Published: Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Local traffic cops say if Monday afternoon's snowfall was a surprise, you haven't been paying enough attention.

"It's difficult to understand how [people could be caught off guard] when this type of weather pattern shows up every year around the same time," said RCMP traffic Cst. Dave Babineau in a release.

Babineau said yesterday's rash of fender benders, vehicles off the road and stranded motorists could be avoided if more people put winter tires on their cars.

All-season tires tend to harden and lose their gripping power at about zero degrees Celsius, but new-generation winter tires keep their elasticity and grip the road even in frigid temperatures as low as -35.

A study shows winter tires reduce stopping distance by about 25 per cent, which could be the difference between an accident or a safe stop, said Babineau.

He urges anyone who hasn't already done so to consider putting on winter tires.

"There's a lot of winter left and most of you transport precious, irreplaceable cargo (your children) every day," said Babineau.

More information on winter tires can be found on the Transport Canada website.
      11-27-2007, 05:04 PM   #8
IDreamofBimmers
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic View Post
Here is an article in our local paper after yesterday's little snowfall.
hey!
can i see pics of your car with the new wheels??
      11-27-2007, 06:51 PM   #9
fanatic
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Haven't taken any good pictures since I mounted the wheels (weather has been crap when I have time).

Look at this post. In Post #4 I have a link showing flyinbrian TiAg E90 with the same wheels (and spacer) and in Post #7 I have a close ups of my set-up (pardon the dirty car ).
      11-30-2007, 08:08 AM   #10
J BONE
The Boss
United_States
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9816 F15 X6

Garage List
2008 E92 335xi  [9.00]
Question for everyone. I just recently got my 335xi coupe with contiprocontact SSR all-season tires. I live in chicago and was thinking about winter tires. DO you think these all season tires will work? I had winter tires on my G35 coupe and they were great but they had sport performance tires on them so the winter tires were a no brainer. Any help would be great!

Jason
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2007, 09:17 AM   #11
Dave_H
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '06 Monaco Blue 325i

For those who are interested a buddy of mine outfits all of his cars with the Nokian All-Weather Plus http://www.nokiantires.com/en/winter_passenger.aspx

there is also a newer line called the WRG2. He swears by them and the bonus is that the compound is hard enough to be good year round.

I can't vouch for them myself but I think they are worth a look...
Appreciate 0