E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Running Rough With CEL

12-28-2018, 02:09 PM   #1
ThreeThirtyFiveXI
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335XI

Garage List
2008 BMW 335XI  [0.00]
Running Rough With CEL

I've got a CEL for the codes in the picture posted, i assumed it was my spark plugs since it was a misfire. Changed them and still have a misfire but a fuel code came up, what could it be?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 07:08 PM   #2
Basedtiger
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Do you have a recent data log through MHD? It could be your ignition coil or fuel injector.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 07:18 PM   #3
ThreeThirtyFiveXI
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basedtiger View Post
Do you have a recent data log through MHD? It could be your ignition coil or fuel injector.
I didn't , what do i need to look for?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 07:36 PM   #4
Basedtiger
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeThirtyFiveXI View Post
With a log you can see if the fuel injector is leaking. Compare the lambda 1 and lambda 2 readings after you left off the throttle. The readings should be about the same when you let off. I would try the easy thing first and replace the ignition coil on cylinder 4. Or at least swap the coil with another coil from a different cylinder. Then re-scan for codes.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 07:39 PM   #5
ThreeThirtyFiveXI
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basedtiger View Post
Quote:
With a log you can see if the fuel injector is leaking. Compare the lambda 1 and lambda 2 readings after you left off the throttle. The readings should be about the same when you let off. I would try the easy thing first and replace the ignition coil on cylinder 4. Or at least swap the coil with another coil from a different cylinder. Then re-scan for codes.
i did swap over the ignition coils after i changed the spark plugs. Definite fuel injector at that point?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 01:26 PM   #6
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Quote:
i did swap over the ignition coils after i changed the spark plugs. Definite fuel injector at that point?
And the misfire stayed on 4 after the coil swap?

I'd check compression, as well, before buying more new parts. Compression loss is quite a bit more rare than plugs/coils/injectors, but it does happen. Also need to confirm fuel pressure. After that, yes, likely to be the injector.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 01:58 PM   #7
HiRev335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i sport pkg

Quote:
just pull the plug on that cylinder to confirm if your injector is faulty or leaking..... if it is the spark plug the tip and threads will be wet with fuel . Also do this after the car has been sitting overnight or a long period of time. If your plug checks out and is dry then more likely it's not your injector and you can save the money on not replacing it. I see you have a 08 if it is an earlier build 08 there have been known issues with the mosfets to be defective in the DME to cause misfiring issues, so if you've exhausted all other avenues with no result that could be a plausibility. One other thing if you pull the injector and reuse it make sure to replace the Teflon seal on the end they are only a one time use.

Last edited by HiRev335i; 01-01-2019 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 12:46 AM   #8
ThreeThirtyFiveXI
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRev335i View Post
just pull the plug on that cylinder to confirm if your injector is faulty or leaking..... if it is the spark plug the tip and threads will be wet with fuel . Also do this after the car has been sitting overnight or a long period of time. If your plug checks out and is dry then more likely it's not your injector and you can save the money on not replacing it. I see you have a 08 if it is an earlier build 08 there have been known issues with the mosfets to be defective in the DME to cause misfiring issues, so if you've exhausted all other avenues with no result that could be a plausibility. One other thing if you pull the injector and reuse it make sure to replace the Teflon seal on the end they are only a one time use.
I did end up replacing the ignition coils and looked in the cylinders, and plugs they were dry. The misfire did go away now but the car takes longer to start.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 02:30 PM   #9
Banzai250
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

You might want to try to get a good log , from 3k-redline wot and check the reading on HPFP , long crank to start car are good sign that your HPFP maybe failing
Appreciate 0