E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Full sending my E90 [Single Turbskis] Need Direction

09-17-2021, 11:07 AM   #1
tomasp001
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Full sending my E90 [Single Turbskis] Need Direction

Greetings,

Just as the title states, I am preparing for a single turbo swap on my n54. I've done research and due diligence with maintenance. I just need an opinion on my route going ST. I do not plan on drag racing, but I do plan to do some roll racing. I know it will be best if I upgrade the drivetrain before doing the swap but my turbos are showing signs of failure. So please, bare with me.

My planned route is as follows:

Fueling [ PI [750cc], Stage 3 LPFP w/ Hobbs switch, Re|Flex controller], -> Coolant relocation [Turner] -> Manual Swap [Stage 3, RTD Shifter] -> Single Turbski [ Top mount Doc Race 6266 Gen2 Ball Bearing (With T51rMod), GFB Boost controller] -> Custom Tune

Now I have a few questions:

1. Is my route correct? In the means of "efficiency" [don't have to go back and forth with other missing mods needed/ be getting the maximum output out of the mods]

2. What is the difference with the Phoenix Racing Billet Manifold (Offered in BMS) and the BMP manifold [Stock location]?

3. At what Point other than when I get the ST kit on should I get a custom tune? Can I hook up the fueling hardware and continue normal or it HAS TO BE TUNED from the get-go (I dont want to keep paying for revisions if I don't need to)

4. Can I stay AT? Meaning, can I custom tune it so that I can stay automatic [less hp, less tq] and when I get the manual parts get a revision for a more hp oriented tune? Manual transmissions are hard to find here where I am at cause of the snow and traffic [Toronto, Canada]

5. Is there anything on my route I stated that can be made better? overkill? not needed? could do without? am I missing anything? better route?

I will add more question to this thread, [I hope you guys don't mind] should more questions come up.
'08 335i AT Titanium Silver | MHD Stage 2+ (91 oct) | xHP Stage 3 | VRSF FMIC [7.5"] | BMS CP + Tial BOV | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF Exhaust [Street] | BMS Dual Cone CAI | BMS Cowl Filters | Bilstein B8 Struts+Eibach Lowering Springs |
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 11:25 AM   #2
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I don't have any personal experience with single turbo setups......but I will say that you should contact a few tuners and figure out who you want to go with before you order a single part. A good tuner will be able to help recommend what PI setup works best, what controller to use, how much fueling you need based off of your hp goals, what turbo to run etc,etc,etc.......get all of that figured out first.

It seems like more often than not, I see these guys who go out and spend thousands on all kinds of wizz-bang parts......and the one person to make everything run right is just as afterthought.....the guy who needs to do the tuning.

It also helps to reach out to tuners first so that you can see how fast they respond to you. The last thing you want is to wait week(s) for a tune revision while your car sets dead in the water because it's not running. Some guys are great tuners but are so swamped it's weeks before they reply to a single email. Other guys might reply fast, but have no idea what in the hell they are doing. Spend plenty of time researching a good tuner.

Reach out to Justin. (V8 Bait), Ken at Wedge Performance, or Doc Vu (Facebook)....they all have very good reputations. There are other good ones out there....email a bunch and see what happens.

A good tuner is just as important (if not more) than the combination of parts you put together.
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2021, 12:38 PM   #3
trb1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

Go the EOSpeed fuel bpm4 LPFP module instead of a Hobbs switch. That way DME has full control over multiple pumps.

I like my 6062 a LOT. Plenty of top end, not too laggy. It’s a sweet spot IMO.

Mhd BEF + jb4 is the simplest solution if you want to run a MAC valve and port injection integrated into the canbus system. Gets a lot of hate, but I love my jb4 for single turbo stuff.

Make AN lines for signal control, and oil drain.

If you buy a 335D tank and bracket and coolant lines, you can eliminate running a random coolant line in front of the engine between the fan and serp belt. Plus the power steering tank will sit nice with this setup.

Also, if you go the 6062 route, I can sell you a t51R housing that’s brand new from precision.
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2021, 05:16 PM   #4
lightmanek
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i N54 MT ST PI FF

I run BPM4 + ReFlex + MHD on 6MT 335i. Garrett GTX3584RS, ReFlex doing the job of PI for 750cc BOSCH injectors as well as regulating WG via MAC solenoid, making 60mm TIAL dance
No dash errors, drive car on short and long routes, like 1200 miles in 24h type of things with family on board.
Oh, forgot there is FlexFuel too.

In general, I'm very happy with the setup, but still working on few improvements and developments (as always).

Last edited by lightmanek; 09-17-2021 at 06:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 06:58 AM   #5
tomasp001
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
I don't have any personal experience with single turbo setups......but I will say that you should contact a few tuners and figure out who you want to go with before you order a single part. A good tuner will be able to help recommend what PI setup works best, what controller to use, how much fueling you need based off of your hp goals, what turbo to run etc,etc,etc.......get all of that figured out first.

It seems like more often than not, I see these guys who go out and spend thousands on all kinds of wizz-bang parts......and the one person to make everything run right is just as afterthought.....the guy who needs to do the tuning.

It also helps to reach out to tuners first so that you can see how fast they respond to you. The last thing you want is to wait week(s) for a tune revision while your car sets dead in the water because it's not running. Some guys are great tuners but are so swamped it's weeks before they reply to a single email. Other guys might reply fast, but have no idea what in the hell they are doing. Spend plenty of time researching a good tuner.

Reach out to Justin. (V8 Bait), Ken at Wedge Performance, or Doc Vu (Facebook)....they all have very good reputations. There are other good ones out there....email a bunch and see what happens.

A good tuner is just as important (if not more) than the combination of parts you put together.
This will be my first step, thank you for pointing me to the right direction.
'08 335i AT Titanium Silver | MHD Stage 2+ (91 oct) | xHP Stage 3 | VRSF FMIC [7.5"] | BMS CP + Tial BOV | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF Exhaust [Street] | BMS Dual Cone CAI | BMS Cowl Filters | Bilstein B8 Struts+Eibach Lowering Springs |
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 06:59 AM   #6
tomasp001
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightmanek View Post
I run BPM4 + ReFlex + MHD on 6MT 335i. Garrett GTX3584RS, ReFlex doing the job of PI for 750cc BOSCH injectors as well as regulating WG via MAC solenoid, making 60mm TIAL dance
No dash errors, drive car on short and long routes, like 1200 miles in 24h type of things with family on board.
Oh, forgot there is FlexFuel too.

In general, I'm very happy with the setup, but still working on few improvements and developments (as always).
Who is your tuner?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 05:52 PM   #7
lightmanek
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i N54 MT ST PI FF

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasp001 View Post
Who is your tuner?
Jake from Motiv
Appreciate 0