E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > VRSF charge pipe to throttle body fitment issue

01-15-2022, 10:33 AM   #1
thatllbe2000bucks
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 335i

VRSF charge pipe to throttle body fitment issue

After changing my valve cover gasket and some other stuff I decided that it was a good time to replace my charge pipe and upgrade to a tial bov. Everything went great until I ran into an issue that the charge pipe doesn’t sit flush with my throttle body. No matter how much muscle I put to it the pipe won’t fit. I have tried to oil everything around it to no avail. I have been sitting here for an hour trying to figure it out, but I can’t get it to fit. My power steering lines are also being squeezed by the charge pipe. Does anyone else have this problem?

The bottom line is squeezed and will probably rub. It seems that they can’t really be relocated. How to fix this?

Last edited by thatllbe2000bucks; 01-15-2022 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 04:26 PM   #2
335i54n
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e39 m5

dont have vsrf but ran into something similar with my install, in general, think charge pipe fitting is tight. maybe cause you have an active steer reservoir but hoses got in my way also, try pushing them under the pipe and near the space at the fender gap to angle the pipe better.

I had to actually remove the ps bracket/ reservoir so I could visually see how the pipe needs to fit and see where I had issues and pushing things around
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 05:19 PM   #3
E90lmao
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2001 e46 325i, 2008 e90 335i

When doing my charge pipe (different brand, oem diverter valve style) I also had a hell of a time getting it on the throttle body. I found that the power steering lines were preventing me from pushing the charge pipe on square to the throttle body so I moved the lines out of the way by unbolting the Power steering bottle mount and moving the lines out of the way. Once I did that I was able to put my arm down lower in the engine bay and line up the charge pipe square with the throttle body and was able to push directly in line and get it on snugly. I'm planning on relocating my power steering bottle to move it away from the charge pipe as they look to be slightly squeezed by the charge pipe as is.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 01:33 PM   #4
thatllbe2000bucks
Enlisted Member
Rep

Still can’t get it in. I sanded the throttle body a little bit and then oiled everything up. I then moved the power steering reservoir and lines fully out of the way. And..... still doesn’t fit. I can get only one side of the pipe to go over the throttle body. When I line it up square it just doesn’t go all the way.

Last edited by thatllbe2000bucks; 01-16-2022 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 02:29 PM   #5
E90lmao
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatllbe2000bucks View Post
Still can’t get it in. I sanded the throttle body a little bit and then oiled everything up. I then moved the power steering reservoir and lines fully out of the way. And..... still doesn’t fit. I can get only one side of the pipe to go over the throttle body. When I line it up square it just doesn’t go all the way.
Weird... is there anyway you could line it up from the exterior to see if for whatever reason the charge pipe just isn't deep enough to fit on properly? Either that or measure the depth in the charge pipe, maybe a manufacturer error where the part that slips over the throttle body isn't deep enough to clear the throttle body? I'd start measuring the inside diameter to see if it tapers down or there's maybe a lip that's not supposed to be there.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 05:00 PM   #6
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Check to see in the charge pipe where it meets the throttle body. If you can figure out where it's catching you can take a file to the charge pipe.I think I had to file a small spot on mine where it was catching. It's easy to pinch the charge pipe o ring as well.
      01-17-2022, 10:39 AM   #7
thatllbe2000bucks
Enlisted Member
Rep

One tmap sensor later I did it. I sanded the charge pipe a little and it seemed to go a little further, but not all the way in. I then proceeded by removing the throttle body and connecting them outside the engine bay. I still had to put in some muscle it didn’t seem as easy as in some youtube diy videos. The sad part is that I didn’t think of this earlier and that my tmap sensor clip broke after fiddling with it so many times.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 10:45 AM   #8
E90lmao
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
One tmap sensor later I did it. I sanded the charge pipe a little and it seemed to go a little further, but not all the way in. I then proceeded by removing the throttle body and connecting them outside the engine bay. I still had to put in some muscle it didn’t seem as easy as in some youtube diy videos. The sad part is that I didn’t think of this earlier and that my tmap sensor clip broke after fiddling with it so many times.
Dang sorry to hear about the tmap sensor, that's a shame. That's the first time I've heard someone struggle so much with a brand name chargepipe. I expected to have issues with my Amazon charge pipe but i had no problem at all with it. Glad it's sorted now, enjoy it.
Appreciate 0