E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > FMIC

04-26-2019, 12:26 PM   #23
gingerbreadman
all about that N54 life
Rep
Drives: e90

How come no one mentions the BMS Race intercooler. I thought it'd be close to VRSF's offering as they're similar in size and density plus its cheaper.
Stoptech ST60 and ST40 BBK, DocRace ST 6266, VRSF Race FMIC, Vk motorwerks oil cooler, ER charge pipe, forge dv, bms occ, Fuel-It Stage III Fuel pump, EOS PI, M3 control arms, Eibach Sway bars, Full E85 Tuning by Wedgeperformance.

2007 N52 to N54 swapped e90: totalled (soon to be track car)
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 12:51 PM   #24
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbreadman View Post
How come no one mentions the BMS Race intercooler. I thought it'd be close to VRSF's offering as they're similar in size and density plus its cheaper.
It looks to be about the same other than having a smaller 2.5 inlet on the passenger side.

The VRSF is only $50 more expensive and I would consider it a bit more 'proven' but I am sure either would work well.

For all we know they come out of the exact same factory and use the same cores. Just have different end tanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 12:54 PM   #25
WhatDoIPutHere
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

To clarify, I'm going with ETS because I'm getting it for 400 due to it being used sold from another thread member, if I was buying a brand new one I'd go with VRSF
      04-26-2019, 12:58 PM   #26
WhatDoIPutHere
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatDoIPutHere View Post
Someone just sold me their ETS 7" FMIC, I believe this will be enough from what I've been told. Not going for more than a E50 mix since I want to keep my 6AT as long as possible. Thank you everyone for your comments and feedback, I appreciate it. I have some logs from tonight on E50 below if anyone wants to chime in on them.

https://datazap.me/u/louisdh/207?log=0&data=3-23
I had ETS 7" on my car back in the day, it was the best intercooler on the market. But ever since then most companies upgraded their intercoolers and Wagner released their stepped core.

ETS is still a great option, but VRSF and Wagner will outperform it
I see, hopefully it'll be efficient enough. Thanks for your input
      04-26-2019, 01:04 PM   #27
gingerbreadman
all about that N54 life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
It looks to be about the same other than having a smaller 2.5 inlet on the passenger side.

The VRSF is only $50 more expensive and I would consider it a bit more 'proven' but I am sure either would work well.

For all we know they come out of the exact same factory and use the same cores. Just have different end tanks.
Ah...didn't notice the 2.5" pass side inlet. Any advantages to BMS' end tank diverter valve though? I'm thinking if anything at all it might be negligible.
Stoptech ST60 and ST40 BBK, DocRace ST 6266, VRSF Race FMIC, Vk motorwerks oil cooler, ER charge pipe, forge dv, bms occ, Fuel-It Stage III Fuel pump, EOS PI, M3 control arms, Eibach Sway bars, Full E85 Tuning by Wedgeperformance.

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 01:17 PM   #28
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbreadman View Post
Ah...didn't notice the 2.5" pass side inlet. Any advantages to BMS' end tank diverter valve though? I'm thinking if anything at all it might be negligible.
I don't think the DV does anything but it can't hurt, I understand why in theory it is there. At the end of the day the IC is just a big heatsink/heat exchanger. Real world tests I can't imagine the BMS or VRSF performing that differently.

I have given money to both companies in the past and both have their place on this platform and many others. For whatever reason I just always recommend the VRSF race IC. Maybe because that is what I run. Either will be fine.

I have seen pictures where there was overspray on the BMS IC and that would piss me off if I got one with overspray. I don't understand why the end tanks are painted but whatever.

By the way you have to order the $30 J pipe with the BMS race IC, the 3'' J pipe comes with the VRSF race IC standard. So cost wise you are talking about a $20 difference between the two. So $20 less get's you potential over spray and a smaller 2.5 inlet but with a diverter valve. Again real life, both probably perform identical.

Last edited by Torgus; 04-26-2019 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 03:56 PM   #29
gingerbreadman
all about that N54 life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
I don't think the DV does anything but it can't hurt, I understand why in theory it is there. At the end of the day the IC is just a big heatsink/heat exchanger. Real world tests I can't imagine the BMS or VRSF performing that differently.

I have given money to both companies in the past and both have their place on this platform and many others. For whatever reason I just always recommend the VRSF race IC. Maybe because that is what I run. Either will be fine.

I have seen pictures where there was overspray on the BMS IC and that would piss me off if I got one with overspray. I don't understand why the end tanks are painted but whatever.

By the way you have to order the $30 J pipe with the BMS race IC, the 3'' J pipe comes with the VRSF race IC standard. So cost wise you are talking about a $20 difference between the two. So $20 less get's you potential over spray and a smaller 2.5 inlet but with a diverter valve. Again real life, both probably perform identical.
ya that overspray's a major turn off tbh. I guess VRSF it is. That was a quick cost analysis you just did lol.

Appreciate 0