E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > N55 Valve Cover Replacement: Aftermarket or OEM?

12-21-2018, 09:59 AM   #1
wmuncaster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i PPK

N55 Valve Cover Replacement: Aftermarket or OEM?

In addition to the nearly $500 OEM valve cover, there are several aftermarket options available. Although I'm confident that the OEM and aftermarket covers can both retain oil equally well, I'm curious about the comparative quality of the integrated PCV valves.

Does anyone have insight into the quality of the integrated PCV valve in the OEM valve cover versus an aftermarket one? Is it worth it to pay $100+ for the OEM cover and valve over aftermarket?

Lastly, does anyone know if a third-party manufacturer makes and rebrands the OEM part?

Thanks, all!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 12:16 PM   #2
eku1992@icloud.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 328i e90 N52

Please let me know what you find out.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 01:13 PM   #3
JeanCa
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 2011 & F10 M5 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmuncaster View Post
In addition to the nearly $500 OEM valve cover, there are several aftermarket options available. Although I'm confident that the OEM and aftermarket covers can both retain oil equally well, I'm curious about the comparative quality of the integrated PCV valves.

Does anyone have insight into the quality of the integrated PCV valve in the OEM valve cover versus an aftermarket one? Is it worth it to pay $100+ for the OEM cover and valve over aftermarket?

Lastly, does anyone know if a third-party manufacturer makes and rebrands the OEM part?

Thanks, all!

Bought a non-OEM valve cover at rock auto for 250ish (Had to replace it at 65K miles along with the rear main seal). I have had no problems with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 06:54 AM   #4
wmuncaster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by eku1992@icloud.com View Post
Please let me know what you find out.
Ended up buying the Üro 11127570292 valve cover from ECS for $297 and installed it last weekend. So far, I'm impressed. It came with all of the captured bolts and gaskets pre-seated. It literally came out of the box ready to install.

Quality wise, save for the voltage warning sticker, I couldn't tell the difference between the new Üro cover and the old OEM one. Material and finish seemed nearly identical.

In terms of functionality, I'm sure it will hold oil (especially if the bolt tightening sequence is followed and the correct torque specs applied). I will say that, compared to the old (likely broken) stock PCV valve, there is a more pronounced hiss upon engine shutdown as the pressure in the PCV system dissipates. Nothing disconcerting, just more noticeable than before.

Overall, I'm happy with it for now!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 02:37 AM   #5
BIMO335
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 355xi M

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmuncaster View Post
Ended up buying the Üro 11127570292 valve cover from ECS for $297 and installed it last weekend. So far, I'm impressed. It came with all of the captured bolts and gaskets pre-seated. It literally came out of the box ready to install.

Quality wise, save for the voltage warning sticker, I couldn't tell the difference between the new Üro cover and the old OEM one. Material and finish seemed nearly identical.

In terms of functionality, I'm sure it will hold oil (especially if the bolt tightening sequence is followed and the correct torque specs applied). I will say that, compared to the old (likely broken) stock PCV valve, there is a more pronounced hiss upon engine shutdown as the pressure in the PCV system dissipates. Nothing disconcerting, just more noticeable than before.

Overall, I'm happy with it for now!
I have a 640i (N55) and mine is starting to leak. I’m planning on buying this valve cover + gasket from Uro. You said that your PCV from the old one made a hissing sound right before engine shut down? Mine make a squeaking sound right before auto stop engine is engage. I believe it’s from a crack in the PCV. When you replaced your valve cover does that sound completely stop? Or is it still noticeable but just not as bad as your old (original cover)? Before mine valve cover + PCV went bad it did not make any noises at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 12:31 PM   #6
Gjohnson7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' BMW 535i, 12' Lexus RX350,

Garage List
2011 535i  [0.00]
I'm thinking about picking up one of the cheap replacement Valve Covers found on Amazon or EBay. Does anyone have a good experience with a certain brand they could share?