E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > e90 335i xdrive FBO maintenance HELP!!

09-21-2020, 04:39 AM   #1
yassbee
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Wink e90 335i xdrive FBO maintenance HELP!!

Hey guys, this is my first post on this forum and need some advice and support on how I could handle my next service for my car. Here is the story:
A couple weeks ago I have bought a 2009 335xi with 90,000 miles in monaco blue paint and cinnamon interior (mint inside out) with every available option ticked off (cold weather pkg, drive assistance, comfort access.. you name it) I never meant to buy a 335 but I just saw it in front of me and absolutely fell in love with the stance of it . car is modded with catless downpipe, chargepipe, intake, mhd stage 2 tune and some exterior mods (konig wheels, h&r springs, m3 front bumper).

I know how the 335 could swallow up your wallet before you even notice it and this is why I need advice. In the couple weeks I have had it, It has been a blast to drive and caused me no issues whatsoever except the infamous rattling noise that i either started noticing more as I spent more time with it or it is getting worse (rattle at low rpm deccel-light accel below 2k) I have a couple thousand dollars saved up as my rainy day fund for the car in case something happens but at the same, I want to pamper it and quickly take it to my local german shop. car starts and drives in v smooth condition and only thing im still getting used to is the light 3 seconds of smoke due to catless when letting off pedal. Now my question is, should I keep saving more money and cut a check when my turbos fail (stock original snails) or give it a nice preventative maintenance that would dent my rainy day fund (alignment, walnut blast, coil packs, sparkplugs,head gasket...) Again I have no bad symptoms from the car or codes but my turbo situation just scares me knowing that anytime anything can happen. brand new pads/rotors/tires/inspection done recently by previous owner so that gives me a little breathing room i guess.

PS. I have just been reading so many threads on 335i and it just seems like everyone around 100k already has changed their turbos so knowing mine is stage 2 on original ones worries me.

more questions:
-do you guys know of anyone around PA-NJ-NY that does both turbo replacement for around $3000 or is that a little too low to reach? im in state college, pa but no bmw shop around except dealer.

thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 01:31 PM   #2
Hoody007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZMZ LCI | 850i/6

I’m @ 126 on original turbos and they’re totally fine - no noise, minimal waste gate rattle.
I follow the old school advice about maintaining the turbos - don’t rev beyond 3K rpm until oil temp’s above 160ºF, and let the car idle for about 15 sec after a hard run to let the oil flow back into the turbos. I’m not tuned, however, so YYMV.

For maintenance, I’d start budgeting for a transmission service & transfer case service @ 100K.

You shouldn’t have to worry about the head gasket, and if you’re tuned I’d do Aldor coils when you replace your spark plugs (which you’re due for @ 90K miles).
Appreciate 0