E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Any way to default the exhaust flap closed and not open?

04-04-2019, 02:26 PM   #1
type-dRew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

Any way to default the exhaust flap closed and not open?

I have PE mod on the driver side and exhaust meister to control the valve. My thought was, I could leave the flap closed when I turned the car off and I could have a quiet cold start for my neighbors.

My understanding of the system was less than now and I now understand that it defaults open and only shuts when vacuum is applied. Which, for me, is backwards to what I wanted. As every morning I have to press the button after the loud cold start initially and it kind of takes away the effectiveness. And yes I realize I could just let the system operate as stock, but itll still be open for a moment until it shuts itself, so mostly the same problem.

Any way to make this operate the opposite way? I know E60 cars default closed and use vacuum to open the valve. Is there any way i can use any parts of their system to make this happen?

It can be tolerated for now, but once I go catless downpipes i think i'll be waking my kids up on top of the neighbors if I cant get this thing to stay shut until I leave the neighborhood.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 06:48 AM   #2
NoGuru
Major
Rep
Drives: 335is

Garage List
2021 Chevy Silverad ...  [0.00]
2002 Jeep Cherokee  [0.00]
2014 CTS  [0.00]
2011 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by type-dRew View Post
I have PE mod on the driver side and exhaust meister to control the valve. My thought was, I could leave the flap closed when I turned the car off and I could have a quiet cold start for my neighbors.

My understanding of the system was less than now and I now understand that it defaults open and only shuts when vacuum is applied. Which, for me, is backwards to what I wanted. As every morning I have to press the button after the loud cold start initially and it kind of takes away the effectiveness. And yes I realize I could just let the system operate as stock, but itll still be open for a moment until it shuts itself, so mostly the same problem.

Any way to make this operate the opposite way? I know E60 cars default closed and use vacuum to open the valve. Is there any way i can use any parts of their system to make this happen?

It can be tolerated for now, but once I go catless downpipes i think i'll be waking my kids up on top of the neighbors if I cant get this thing to stay shut until I leave the neighborhood.

Thoughts?
MHD has an option to not cold start. I ended up using it since I live in a condo.
2011 335is DCT BQ Tuning / BMS CAI / VRSF kittyless DP's / Synapse BOV and charge pipe / 7" VRSF Race FMIC / Walbro 535 and 450 on BMP4 / E90 tune / Diff Brace / PR Coils / Relocation Inlets / DAW Stage3+ Turbos / MMP port injection / xHP Stage 3 / FPR and -6 fuel lines
Appreciate 1
type-dRew641.00
      04-05-2019, 01:24 PM   #3
type-dRew
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGuru View Post
MHD has an option to not cold start. I ended up using it since I live in a condo.
I considered this, I have seen people say its not great for the engine, but i've had good luck with it on other platforms.

How long have you been using it? Drive your car in the winter and it doesn't mind?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 02:43 PM   #4
NoGuru
Major
Rep
Drives: 335is

Garage List
2021 Chevy Silverad ...  [0.00]
2002 Jeep Cherokee  [0.00]
2014 CTS  [0.00]
2011 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
I considered this, I have seen people say its not great for the engine, but i've had good luck with it on other platforms.

How long have you been using it? Drive your car in the winter and it doesn't mind?
I don't drive it in the winter and actually I run an E50 blend so it needs to be turned of with it but I don't see there being any issue with it.
2011 335is DCT BQ Tuning / BMS CAI / VRSF kittyless DP's / Synapse BOV and charge pipe / 7" VRSF Race FMIC / Walbro 535 and 450 on BMP4 / E90 tune / Diff Brace / PR Coils / Relocation Inlets / DAW Stage3+ Turbos / MMP port injection / xHP Stage 3 / FPR and -6 fuel lines
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 07:55 PM   #5
type-dRew
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGuru View Post
Quote:

I don't drive it in the winter and actually I run an E50 blend so it needs to be turned of with it but I don't see there being any issue with it.
Sorry I don't understand what you typed exactly.

You can't run the no cold start in mhd with e50 map? I plan on running that kind of blend in the coming months.
New setup; Covid 19Ts on RFP 93 + ARM inlets, dp, VTT cp and PSP outlets
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 08:57 AM   #6
type-dRew
Major
Rep

I am very impressed by the cold start removal in mhd, i can hardly believe its the same car starting. Very smooth and after the initial snap of the exhaust its a dead warm idle speed.

That said, I would still like to find a way to default the flap to closed, does anyone have any insight into this idea or what parts I would need to swap from a 5 series to make it work? Those default closed so there has to be a way to either use the 5 series solenoid or whatever is making it default that way.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 01:10 PM   #7
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

cleanest way would be to get a jb4 and you can use the steering controls to have the exhaust flap open or closed.

cheapest way would be to wire a switch to a 12v source to exhaust flap harness. Power on the switch to have exhaust flap close and power off to have exhaust flap open. This will create a non cel error since the exhaust flap harness is disconnected from the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 06:44 AM   #8
type-dRew
Major
Rep

I have exhaust meister module, so I do have control over the flap;

http://exhaustmeister.com/store/?model_number=999888999

The e90 defaults open, so when I start the car it's loud because the valve is open and I have the manually close it every morning. I want something that is closed when the car is off, like the E60 is, so it stays shut until I open it.
Appreciate 0