E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Cobb AP3 stage 2 disappointment

04-22-2019, 11:41 PM   #1
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 440

Cobb AP3 stage 2 disappointment

I was on Stage 1 + fmic sport ST and installed a vrsf CP and HKS BOV over the weekend. I drove a few miles and noticed some decent gains in acceleration feel i thought. So only after a few miles i flashed to Stage 2 + fmic sport ST ver. 4.0.2 and drove my normal commute and swear i couldn't hit the same boost and max tq numbers i was whilst on the stage 1. I just flashed back to the prior stg 1 and will see tomorrow if i hit the prev stg 1 highs again.

What gives?
      04-22-2019, 11:50 PM   #2
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

So... what kinda downpipes ya got on there?
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2019, 12:09 AM   #3
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
So... what kinda downpipes ya got on there?
Cobb high flow catted. Everything was super sweet and fast on stage 1, just seems like a downgrade going to stage 2, instead of an upgrade.

I only have a 5" vrsf fmic w/ lower CP and a semi closed carbon fiber DCI.

Is stage 2 wanting more air right from the get go?

Also my driving is mostly from 0-60 and some occasional 30-85 but that is all i can do around here.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 12:12 AM   #4
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Datalog and post... only way to tell what's going on
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2019, 12:27 AM   #5
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

I guess i need a wire to connect from the cobb to usb in order to transfer datafiles then? I only have the cobb to obd2 presently.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 12:31 AM   #6
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

So i guess this isn't normal? Should stage 2 feel faster? Should i hit higher boost numbers and max tq numbers according to the cobb readout?

Also i only have 92 Octane available on this island which is why I'm running sport (for both). But there shouldn't be any differences there right?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 12:35 AM   #7
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_sojah View Post
So i guess this isn't normal? Should stage 2 feel faster? Should i hit higher boost numbers and max tq numbers according to the cobb readout?

Also i only have 92 Octane available on this island which is why I'm running sport (for both). But there shouldn't be any differences there right?
Probably sport might be pulling timing on 92 octane on Stage 2. It's been like 5 years since I've run Cobb, but I recall sport was too aggressive on crappy 91 octane.

You might want to either get a custom tune or buy a MHD license and run the 91 maps.

Do you have access to E85?
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

Appreciate 1
      04-23-2019, 12:53 AM   #8
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Probably sport might be pulling timing on 92 octane on Stage 2. It's been like 5 years since I've run Cobb, but I recall sport was too aggressive on crappy 91 octane.

You might want to either get a custom tune or buy a MHD license and run the 91 maps.

I don't believe we have e85 here either but i could be wrong.

Anyway to get custom cobb maps online or via the interwebz, like i upload datalogs and then sownload a customized map and flash? If not then might be time for the mhd, juat didn't think it would happen this fast 😁

I got one more mod left i was planning. Was thinking high flow stock location inlets in the very near future so maybe custom map better after that.

Also thanks again HelloKitty, i got the vibrant resonators put in place of the secondary cats over the weekend as well. Very nice sounding!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 12:59 AM   #9
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I don't believe we have e85 here either but i could be wrong.

Anyway to get custom cobb maps online or via the interwebz, like i upload datalogs and then sownload a customized map and flash? If not then might be time for the mhd, juat didn't think it would happen this fast 😁

I got one more mod left i was planning. Was thinking high flow stock location inlets in the very near future so maybe custom map better after that.

Also thanks again HelloKitty, i got the vibrant resonators put in place of the secondary cats over the weekend as well. Very nice sounding!
I suppose the issue will be how will you transfer the custom map over to the Cobb without a usb cable. But the step is to log, upload, reflash until your custom tune is completed.

inlets will add some performance with a custom tune but you are still limited by octane. You can also run inlets using the OTS maps (V8) on MHD.

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 01:13 AM   #10
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I suppose the issue will be how will you transfer the custom map over to the Cobb without a usb cable. But the step is to log, upload, reflash until your custom tune is completed.

inlets will add some performance with a custom tune but you are still limited by octane. You can also run inlets using the OTS maps (V8) on MHD.
But is a custom tune done this way with just logging reliable and proven? I always just thought it required a dyno and pro tune, but this seems like good news actually if can log, uoload, download , apply.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 01:19 AM   #11
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Is the cobb usb wire just standard micro usb to usb?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 05:34 AM   #12
Donutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Possible your BOV is unable to hold the pressure? I'm not familiar with the hks, but I have Forge DV which required a stiffer spring to run stage 2+.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 10:33 AM   #13
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Going from Stage 1 to Stage 2 will never feel as substantial as going from stock to Stage 1, or even Stage 1 to Stage 1+ ... there just isn't as much to gain from downpipes and tuning alone.

Also, Cobb OTS maps are rather tame in comparison to other tunes...there may be a little of that going on here as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 10:53 AM   #14
type-dRew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
Possible your BOV is unable to hold the pressure? I'm not familiar with the hks, but I have Forge DV which required a stiffer spring to run stage 2+.
HKS does not use springs.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2019, 11:13 AM   #15
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

My 2 cents - Stage 1+ aggressive or 93 felt just as strong if not more as Stage 2+ sport and that's on shitty ACN91. Try stage2+ aggressive or 93 by adding a octane booster being that you're on 92. If you have access to ethanol the Cobb e30 map blows all the other OTS maps out of the water. Once I moved to e30 I can't even run any of the other maps as they feel weak compared to.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 02:06 PM   #16
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky dj View Post
My 2 cents - Stage 1+ aggressive or 93 felt just as strong if not more as Stage 2+ sport and that's on shitty ACN91. Try stage2+ aggressive or 93 by adding a octane booster being that you're on 92. If you have access to ethanol the Cobb e30 map blows all the other OTS maps out of the water. Once I moved to e30 I can't even run any of the other maps as they feel weak compared to.
apparently there was e85 here a few years ago, trying to figure out if any place still has it and if so if it is a reasonable price.

i never ran aggressive map yet since i only use 92.

this morning back on Stage 1 + FMIC ST Sport map and it feels real strong again and able to hit the high numbers i was hitting before. i did my first ever logging for just a little bit of my morning commute but hopefully there are a few pulls on there. now i just gotta figure out how to download them then upload them on this site.
      04-23-2019, 02:45 PM   #17
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Going from Stage 1 to Stage 2 will never feel as substantial as going from stock to Stage 1, or even Stage 1 to Stage 1+ ... there just isn't as much to gain from downpipes and tuning alone.

Also, Cobb OTS maps are rather tame in comparison to other tunes...there may be a little of that going on here as well.
This and also a 5" FMIC in Hawaii may not be adequate enough.

Surprisingly only 1 person asked for any datalogs for comparison.

Datalogs tell the story, don't forget the basics guys!
Appreciate 2
      04-23-2019, 03:27 PM   #18
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
This and also a 5" FMIC in Hawaii may not be adequate enough.

Surprisingly only 1 person asked for any datalogs for comparison.

Datalogs tell the story, don't forget the basics guys!
Thanks Jeff. So the car does have everything Cobb recommends for their Stage 2 map which is what I was following on their site; VRSF 5" FMIC with lower CP, upper vrsf CP with HKS BOV, DCI, Cobb high flow catted DP's and the 335is Performance Exhaust.

I understand that it won't feel like a significant gain but it feels noticeably slower for me going from Stage 1+ Sport to Stage 2+ Sport. I think the Stage 2+ Sport map is needing higher octane even though the Cobb site says 91 recommended...

My car feels aggressive on Stage 1+ Sport, felt sluggish and slower on Stage 2+ Sport, and now feels fast and aggressive again on Stage 1+ Sport.
      04-23-2019, 09:17 PM   #19
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

so i logged my Cobb AccessPort into their site and updated it with some new maps. I will try out stg 1+ then stg 2 + and see if any differences. My maps were 4.0.2 and the new omes were 4.0.4. Not sure what the changes or differences were in the maps but hopefully newer is better...

I tried to get a solid 3rd gear pull in but when i floored it the car dropped the gear down to 2nd before i eventually shifted into 3rd and ran it out to redline.

I am not sure if there is a better place to upload these datalogs to so someone can plz check them out and invariably tell me all the things that could be wrong with my car,,, thank you all

FYI please change the file to a .csv before opening since i had to change it to a .txt in order to upload it here.
Attached Files
File Type: txt datalog28.txt (24.8 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by rusty_sojah; 04-23-2019 at 11:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 08:47 AM   #20
Stealthbombing
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
so i logged my Cobb AccessPort into their site and updated it with some new maps. I will try out stg 1+ then stg 2 + and see if any differences. My maps were 4.0.2 and the new omes were 4.0.4. Not sure what the changes or differences were in the maps but hopefully newer is better...

I tried to get a solid 3rd gear pull in but when i floored it the car dropped the gear down to 2nd before i eventually shifted into 3rd and ran it out to redline.

I am not sure if there is a better place to upload these datalogs to so someone can plz check them out and invariably tell me all the things that could be wrong with my car,,, thank you all

FYI please change the file to a .csv before opening since i had to change it to a .txt in order to upload it here.
Datazap is a good website to use, some things i notice from your log, your AFR's are really high they should really be in the 10-11s when under full boost, 15-16 is danger zone . What do your fuel trims look like and your pump pressure ? also it may be a good idea to log your timing corrections.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2019, 11:25 AM   #21
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthbombing View Post
Datazap is a good website to use, some things i notice from your log, your AFR's are really high they should really be in the 10-11s when under full boost, 15-16 is danger zone . What do your fuel trims look like and your pump pressure ? also it may be a good idea to log your timing corrections.
I bought the Cobb AP3 used over a year ago and never changed the settimgs for logging. Can you recommend which data point those are called to choose to make sure they are captured in the next log.

AFR I'm guess is is air fuel ratio? What do u think coild be causing that high number, bad gas or not enough air or both, or what? Maybe the hpfp and or lpfp need some attention??? Thank you very much for this info.
      04-24-2019, 12:26 PM   #22
Stealthbombing
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
I bought the Cobb AP3 used over a year ago and never changed the settings for logging. Can you recommend which data point those are called to choose to make sure they are captured in the next log.

AFR I'm guess is is air fuel ratio? What do u think coild be causing that high number, bad gas or not enough air or both, or what? Maybe the hpfp and or lpfp need some attention??? Thank you very much for this info.
Im not sure if COBB has the same parameters but your going to want to monitor everything you have in the last log plus STFT 1 and 2, Lambada Bank 2, Timing Corrections for all 6 cylinders, HPFP and LPFP. Correct, AFR is your (Air to Fuel Ratio) which is your "Lambada", many things can cause this to change but the big ones are O2 sensors, and fueling, i would get another log including this other stuff so we can see how your fueling is.

BTW Cobb hasn't supported this platform for years, there are way better options out there for OTS tunes (MHD and JB4)
Appreciate 0