Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-26-2014, 12:40 PM   #89
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Just switched from PSS to AS3 yesterday.

The AS3 is silk smooth, much quieter than the PSS. The turn-in feeling is very good, I can't tell a difference with the (worn down at this point) PSS. I didn't had the opportunity to test ultimate grip yet, but for "normal" driving, this is very good, the wheel feel is not altered compared to the PSS and the comfort is increased.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 04:57 PM   #90
mmm def
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 330, 19 ND2 RF, 11 RX350

I have the A/S 3 on my B8 S4 and E90 330, great all around tire.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 12:39 AM   #91
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

I had the occasion to give the AS3 a good wiping on the backroads today. Couldn't test ultimate grip (open roads...), but here are some observation:
* Traction
* the dry traction is beyond expectations. It seems to me that I have a harder time inducing power oversteer with the AS3 than I did with the PSS
* the wet traction is vastly superior to the PSS

* handling is neutral
* no understeer was felt (admittedly not pushing my luck on open roads, again)
* the out of turn power delivery is clean, invites the driver to unwind quite naturally the steering as the power is resumed after the apex.
* throttle control of the radius in-turn is a little more muted than on the PSS. It takes a lot more input to result in the same rotational force.

* braking is clean
* the ABS did not kick-in much, even when purposefully trying (less than on worn-down PSS, comparable with honeymoon new PSS from my now old memory)
* The braking line is straight and the feel solid, when the front wheels are loaded the wheel remains calm and responsive to inputs. Again no understeer even when trailbraking moderately.
* the belts are softer than the PSS, you can feel the tire changing shape upon turn-in heavy trail-braking. There is a small period of non-linearity of the effort, it is short and not disruptive as it remains progressive and predictable.

Overall, very convinced. It may not be as good as the PSS for a Xcross, but for spirited driving, it is plenty enough. I couldn't find the grip limit on open roads, only traction and braking limit, and you have to go hard to get there, bordering piloting mistakes. When the limit in traction comes, you can feel it and correct easily. In all honesty, it doesn't feel like a downgrade for a driver of my level and open road use. It still feels good at the wheel and reacts with the superior accuracy and feedback I have experienced with the PSS (the AS3 feels better than the PS2, which I thought stellar at the time). Meanwhile, I do not drive fast enough to touch the grip limit on the AS3, an area where I suspect the PSS is superior.

Last edited by Meeni; 08-19-2014 at 12:53 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2014, 06:31 AM   #92
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

hey meeni - I consider myself a car guy but your description of the handling prowess of the car with these tires is way over my head! But it sounds good! And convinced me, I will be getting the As3 next to replace my primacy mxm4's!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 10:55 AM   #93
srbarnes4ever
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E90 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
I had the occasion to give the AS3 a good wiping on the backroads today. Couldn't test ultimate grip (open roads...), but here are some observation:
* Traction
* the dry traction is beyond expectations. It seems to me that I have a harder time inducing power oversteer with the AS3 than I did with the PSS
* the wet traction is vastly superior to the PSS

* handling is neutral
* no understeer was felt (admittedly not pushing my luck on open roads, again)
* the out of turn power delivery is clean, invites the driver to unwind quite naturally the steering as the power is resumed after the apex.
* throttle control of the radius in-turn is a little more muted than on the PSS. It takes a lot more input to result in the same rotational force.

* braking is clean
* the ABS did not kick-in much, even when purposefully trying (less than on worn-down PSS, comparable with honeymoon new PSS from my now old memory)
* The braking line is straight and the feel solid, when the front wheels are loaded the wheel remains calm and responsive to inputs. Again no understeer even when trailbraking moderately.
* the belts are softer than the PSS, you can feel the tire changing shape upon turn-in heavy trail-braking. There is a small period of non-linearity of the effort, it is short and not disruptive as it remains progressive and predictable.

Overall, very convinced. It may not be as good as the PSS for a Xcross, but for spirited driving, it is plenty enough. I couldn't find the grip limit on open roads, only traction and braking limit, and you have to go hard to get there, bordering piloting mistakes. When the limit in traction comes, you can feel it and correct easily. In all honesty, it doesn't feel like a downgrade for a driver of my level and open road use. It still feels good at the wheel and reacts with the superior accuracy and feedback I have experienced with the PSS (the AS3 feels better than the PS2, which I thought stellar at the time). Meanwhile, I do not drive fast enough to touch the grip limit on the AS3, an area where I suspect the PSS is superior.

Good stuff here. My only concern is winter weather....haven't heard any good feedback on this tire ins now yet...for those who don't have a winter only set, it is a critical requirement.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 11:09 AM   #94
drunkenup
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i, 2021 F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbarnes4ever View Post
Good stuff here. My only concern is winter weather....haven't heard any good feedback on this tire ins now yet...for those who don't have a winter only set, it is a critical requirement.
I ran the A/S 3's during a couple of storms last winter on my RWD 335i

I didn't encounter anything more than 2-3 inches but the tires were adequate in getting me around and about.

I had to stop on the side of the road to read a text, pulled into a spot of untouched snow, 3" (no tracks). When it came time to get moving I surely thought I was screwed, but the rears barely spun and she got moving again quickly.

I needed a good stab of the throttle get the rears spinning at speed and to provoke oversteer.

Overall, a good tire to put on and not have to worry about for longer than a summer tire, good to brave a couple of inches if need be, but I'm confident these things don't have much capability in deeper snow.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 09:01 PM   #95
Nhe261
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 4 door

Just installed yesterday. So far so good. Like the 45K miles warranty for all tires compare to PSS 30k. Feel firmer than PSS.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 05:01 PM   #96
vasram
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 2006 E90

Torn between A/S 3 and PSS

I'm about to purchase a new set of tires for my 162 style wheels (staggered), and can't make up my mind between the A/S 3 and PSS Michelins. I live in South Florida, so I don't have to worry about snow, and I do mostly weekend driving. Doing a side by side comparison on Tirerack, the PSS beats the A/S 3 on every survey, excluding snow and ice (which in South Florida it's not an issue). The only other negative of the PSS is thread life.

After reading all the reviews, most posters seem to be split down the middle between these 2 models of tires. Some convincing final advice would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 05:12 PM   #97
scott135i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasram View Post
I'm about to purchase a new set of tires for my 162 style wheels (staggered), and can't make up my mind between the A/S 3 and PSS Michelins. I live in South Florida, so I don't have to worry about snow, and I do mostly weekend driving. Doing a side by side comparison on Tirerack, the PSS beats the A/S 3 on every survey, excluding snow and ice (which in South Florida it's not an issue). The only other negative of the PSS is thread life.

After reading all the reviews, most posters seem to be split down the middle between these 2 models of tires. Some convincing final advice would be greatly appreciated.
PSS not a doubt. Don't even consider the AS3.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 08:46 PM   #98
Bladerunner
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi

Maybe you guys can help, I'm trying to find some A/S 3 for my 2011 335 xdrive, I have 269 19 inch rims. I went to tire rack website as well as a few others and it seems like that Michelin doesn't make them in the size for my rims, are you guys running different sizes?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 03:07 PM   #99
kisho
Quiet till poked
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Garage List
2006 325xi  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasram View Post

You did the spec comparison, so comes down to two things: Do you prefer more performance or more tirewear? Personally, I'd go with PSS hands down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post
Maybe you guys can help, I'm trying to find some A/S 3 for my 2011 335 xdrive, I have 269 19 inch rims. I went to tire rack website as well as a few others and it seems like that Michelin doesn't make them in the size for my rims, are you guys running different sizes?
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1050762
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 03:59 PM   #100
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Xdrive

Go with PSS. I have run the A/S Plus, PSS and currently running A/S3. Up here in Canada, the weather tends to be 8-12C for temps. The A/S plus was a good tire but my tears cupped. Ran the PSS but the weather is too cold for it and I felt like I was on a skating rink. The A/S3 is a great tire BUT again, cooler weather, I'm sliding around. I'm running a RWD 335i. For me, I'm going back to the Conti DWS as it was softer but grip was better. Better sense of security driving though we sacrifice in performance. I can live with that.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 07:05 PM   #101
Bladerunner
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass335 View Post
Go with PSS. I have run the A/S Plus, PSS and currently running A/S3. Up here in Canada, the weather tends to be 8-12C for temps. The A/S plus was a good tire but my tears cupped. Ran the PSS but the weather is too cold for it and I felt like I was on a skating rink. The A/S3 is a great tire BUT again, cooler weather, I'm sliding around. I'm running a RWD 335i. For me, I'm going back to the Conti DWS as it was softer but grip was better. Better sense of security driving though we sacrifice in performance. I can live with that.
I have PSS now but I don't like them when temps dropped, I've been reading good things about A/S 3. I have dedicated winters but I wanted something that performed well in the spring and fall when temps were cooler and fluctuated!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 09:49 AM   #102
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by badass335 View Post
I have PSS now but I don't like them when temps dropped, I've been reading good things about A/S 3. I have dedicated winters but I wanted something that performed well in the spring and fall when temps were cooler and fluctuated!
That's the exact same reason I went with the AS3. I have dedicated X-ICE snows as well. As mentioned, life in Canada, the temps are lower for 8-10months. The pure summer tires just don't cut it hence the all season. The reviews were great on the AS3 so I bought. First, the tires were noisy. I talked to Michelin support and was told that noise is something they can't warranty. My alignment shop mentioned that the tires were out of round. Again as Michelin stated, it was more a noise issue and nothing was wrong with the tires. I mean, they drive fine but more road noise.
When it's hot out there, the tires are good wet or dry. It's a very close feeling to the PSS.

When it's cooler; say 6-10C outside, again, tires are stable but seems the grip is noticeably less.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 10:00 PM   #103
vasram
Rep

PSS it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott135i View Post
PSS not a doubt. Don't even consider the AS3.
Got an awesome deal 4 PSS for $770 including taxes, balancing, and installation, staggered 255/35/18 and 225/40/18 at Costco.

Thx for the advice
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 10:02 PM   #104
vasram
Rep

PSS it is

[QUOTE=kisho;17845255]You did the spec comparison, so comes down to two things: Do you prefer more performance or more tirewear? Personally, I'd go with PSS hands down.

Got an awesome deal 4 PSS for $770 including taxes, balancing, and installation, staggered 255/35/18 and 225/40/18 at Costco.

Thx for the advice
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 10:43 PM   #105
kisho
Quiet till poked
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Garage List
2006 325xi  [9.50]
[QUOTE=vasram;17908143]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisho View Post
You did the spec comparison, so comes down to two things: Do you prefer more performance or more tirewear? Personally, I'd go with PSS hands down.

Thx for the advice
Happy to help. Costco does have pretty unbeatable rates. It's too bad you have to buy the tires there now. Before you could just show up and ask them to mount/balance loose rims for $60.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 06:56 AM   #106
vasram
Rep

Well it turned out great because I bought 162 style staggered wheels from a guy on Craigslist in perfect condition, and Costco did the switch without extra charge. At Tirerack it would have been $913 delivered, and then removal of previous wheels, disposal of the tires on my new wheels, balancing and installation, etc. In the end it would have been well over $1K. Now I have my old wheels and tires for sale on CL, Ebay, here, etc. I think $770 for everything was a steal, and I dig the PSS
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 05:31 PM   #107
Billua
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Sport/Prem/Nav/Con

I just bought the AS3's to replace the crap Bridgestone RFT's that came with my 335D.

All in for the 4 tires was just under 900 bucks at Costco..

I live in the desert and don't drive the car in snow.. Can't wait to get back in my car after they are installed
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 09:43 AM   #108
Billua
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Sport/Prem/Nav/Con

Talking Dramatic difference!

Holy cow, what a great upgrade. I had 22,000 miles on the OEM Bridgestone RFT's and hate every mile with them.

These new Michelin's have changed the car completely...

Also, they have much less road noise and are smoother rolling over bumps than the RFT's.

And of course, it handles like it's on rails. With the RFT's, I could regularly get traction control while maneuvering the car in a spirited manner.

Yesterday, driving one of my favorite on ramp sweepers, I pushed the car and never went into traction control, it just stayed stuck to the road.

Now that I have grip, and only 6 months until my warranty runs out, I am looking at a JBD tuner.

If you are on the edge about these A/s 3's, just do it. You wont regret it!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 12:28 PM   #109
TheBigYahi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi 6MT

I have about 6k miles on my A/S 3's and I'm starting to get a lot of drive-line noise, really all of a sudden. The car has 121k on it so I'm obviously worrying about differentials and bearings but hearing scott135i's comment makes me wonder about the tires...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott135i View Post
...The noise from the tires comes in at 30-60 mph, and sounds like a humming/whining noise with a tinge of metallic-ness to it... if that makes any sense...
This is similar to what I'm getting. A whining from the front between 15-30mph and a metallic humming from the rear above 55mph. I've spun all the wheels and checked for play and they're perfect. The noise persists on and off throttle, in gear and out of gear, clutch in and out. I have an appt. at the shop in a week for my state inspection so I'll have them check it out.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Really hoping it's the tires since they're under warranty and pretty cheap compared to all the other stuff running through my head.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 02:05 PM   #110
scott135i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigYahi View Post
I have about 6k miles on my A/S 3's and I'm starting to get a lot of drive-line noise, really all of a sudden. The car has 121k on it so I'm obviously worrying about differentials and bearings but hearing scott135i's comment makes me wonder about the tires...

This is similar to what I'm getting. A whining from the front between 15-30mph and a metallic humming from the rear above 55mph. I've spun all the wheels and checked for play and they're perfect. The noise persists on and off throttle, in gear and out of gear, clutch in and out. I have an appt. at the shop in a week for my state inspection so I'll have them check it out.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Really hoping it's the tires since they're under warranty and pretty cheap compared to all the other stuff running through my head.
It will get worse.
Appreciate 0