E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > ABS Module

05-03-2019, 04:43 AM   #1
Ronin2
Rep
Drives: F150 ecoboost

ABS Module

Hello everyone, just bought our first BMW a 2007 328i 4 door sedan rwd. The car has a bad ABS module. I am going to get a used one. There are several part numbers that show they will work. If I get the same part number does it still need to be coded to the vin? Can I have it coded before I install it or it has to be in the car already? If you have done this before please let me know how it worked out. Thanks for any responses.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 02:50 PM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin2 View Post
Hello everyone, just bought our first BMW a 2007 328i 4 door sedan rwd. The car has a bad ABS module. I am going to get a used one. There are several part numbers that show they will work. If I get the same part number does it still need to be coded to the vin? Can I have it coded before I install it or it has to be in the car already? If you have done this before please let me know how it worked out. Thanks for any responses.
You have confused 2 pieces of hardware. Can you clarify what has failed:

1. The ABS pump
2. DSC Module

They are joined together. It's very unusual for the DSC to fail. What's more common is the ABS pump. In which case just get a used good DSC/ABS and swap the pump over. Keep your existing DSC.

Generally the 6 cyl cars have a different pump to the 4cyl e9x's.

What partnumbers are currently installed?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 08:35 AM   #3
Ronin2
Rep
Drives: F150 ecoboost

It is the module for sure. We tested the pump and it works good. The module number is 3452 6778237-01. I am getting a used one.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 02:09 PM   #4
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It is the module for sure. We tested the pump and it works good. The module number is 3452 6778237-01. I am getting a used one.
Ok. In which case install the DSC then change VIN + default code to your VO.

Once done, you'll probably have fault codes. You should perform the Steering Angle and DSC Adjustment procedures by ISTA D
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 08:07 AM   #5
matamua
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 335i, FBO, m3 control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
Quote:

Once done, you'll probably have fault codes. You should perform the Steering Angle and DSC Adjustment procedures by ISTA D
How would one go about doing that?

I'm new to all of this. I'm getting the trifecta. I bought a Foxwell scanner and it's consistently giving me 5DF0/5DF1 which from all the reading I've done it looks like the pump is the culprit. I've tried knocking the pump motor cover and that worked for a bit, but now the code is back.

I don't really have the luxury of a 2wk down time, so I was thinking of buying a used one, sending it to Module Masters for the rebuild and then installing just the rebuilt pump on my existing DSC. If after the bleed that does not work, I'd pull out my DSC and put in the rebuilt one from MM, at which point I'd need to recode it to my vin/VO as you state above.

How does one do that? In some of the other threads it sounds as though it's not possible and you must take it to the dealer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 01:26 AM   #6
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matamua View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I'm new to all of this. I'm getting the trifecta. I bought a Foxwell scanner and it's consistently giving me 5DF0/5DF1 which from all the reading I've done it looks like the pump is the culprit. I've tried knocking the pump motor cover and that worked for a bit, but now the code is back.

I don't really have the luxury of a 2wk down time, so I was thinking of buying a used one, sending it to Module Masters for the rebuild and then installing just the rebuilt pump on my existing DSC. If after the bleed that does not work, I'd pull out my DSC and put in the rebuilt one from MM, at which point I'd need to recode it to my vin/VO as you state above.

How does one do that? In some of the other threads it sounds as though it's not possible and you must take it to the dealer.

Ok so the DSC is fine and has no faults? The pump is just knackered.

In that case a much cheaper way is to buy a used ABS pump (on eBay, they generally come with DSC attached) and swap the pump part onto your DSC.

If you go for a recent 2010 / 2011 then it should be fine.

No coding needed as the pump is not an ECU. It's controlled by your DSC.

Install, then perform the Steering angle and DSC Adjustment procedures in ISTA D. Bleed the system of course.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 01:29 PM   #7
matamua
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

In that case a much cheaper way is to buy a used ABS pump (on eBay, they generally come with DSC attached) and swap the pump part onto your DSC.

Install, then perform the Steering angle and DSC Adjustment procedures in ISTA D. Bleed the system of course.
@Sensible_

Thanks for the info! Did they switch designs in 2010-11 to remedy the whole brushed motor debacle, or is it just because it's presumably lower miles?

Also, do you think that'll be a straight swap if the p/n is different as long as I'm doing RWD for RWD?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 01:52 PM   #8
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

@Sensible_

Thanks for the info! Did they switch designs in 2010-11 to remedy the whole brushed motor debacle, or is it just because it's presumably lower miles?

Also, do you think that'll be a straight swap if the p/n is different as long as I'm doing RWD for RWD?
Lower miles and I think they may have changed the design. I haven't actually opened one up to check though.

Generally the pumps are different for 6cyl and 4cyl engines.

What is the current partnumber?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 02:14 PM   #9
matamua
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

@Sensible_

Lower miles and I think they may have changed the design. I haven't actually opened one up to check though.

Generally the pumps are different for 6cyl and 4cyl engines.

What is the current partnumber?
Image attached
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 02:46 PM   #10
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Ok. That's an MK60.1 ABS pump. As far as I know these are fitted on all the 6cyl cars. Maybe not xdrive. Not sure about those.

You should be fine with any pump from a 325i, 325d, 328i, 330i, 330d, 335i, 335d.

They should all be fitted with the MK60.1
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 02:48 PM   #11
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Ok. That's an MK60.1 ABS pump. As far as I know these are fitted on all the 6cyl cars. Maybe not xdrive. Not sure about those.

You should be fine with any pump from a 325i, 325d, 328i, 330i, 330d, 335i, 335d.

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 09:14 PM   #12
matamua
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

@Sensible_

By Mk60.1, I'm assuming you mean the last three digits—as long as those are the same, and I'm within the same class (e9x, same number of cylinders, same drive type) I should be okay?

I'm looking at picking up a 3451-6790146-01 off of a 2010 e93 335i vs. 3451-6776066-01 on my 2007 e93 335i. You think that'll work even the p/n is different? They visually look the same to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 12:40 AM   #13
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

http://www.ate-brakes.com/products/h...-control-unit/

MK60 is just the ATE manufacturers reference.

The long number is the ATE part number. The number you refer to is the BMW parts number.

You can look at all the online catalogues and the same ABS pump is always used for the 335i 330i 328i etc etc.

You might not find that specific number in a parts catalogue though. Sometimes it gets confused.

So yes. It's fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 08:27 AM   #14
matamua
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

The long number is the ATE part number. The number you refer to is the BMW parts number.

You can look at all the online catalogues and the same ABS pump is always used for the 335i 330i 328i etc etc.

You might not find that specific number in a parts catalogue though. Sometimes it gets confused.

So yes. It's fine.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 08:22 PM   #15
matamua
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

So yes. It's fine.
Thanks!
I did this last week and it worked splendidly. Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 03:45 AM   #16
autoelves
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 335i DCT

ECU not reading my DSC module

Hey everybody,

I have E92 335i DCT gearbox. My dsc became faulty and i have search for a replacement. I manage to get a new one with the DSC Module. When i installed it to the car and run INPA. INPA still detects the my previous version and not the current version which i have recently purchased. Please somebody help me.....
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 08:31 AM   #17
buritobruno
Rep
Drives: BMW 323ci e46 TopasBlau, BMW 3

Garage List
Dsc failure

Hi! My ABS failed but i cannot find the same abs pump in my country and i cannot find it on Real OEM to find an exchange OEM number.
The numbers.:
ATE
module:34526778239
ate 10096108393,10061334151
pump:34516778238
ate 10021200824
Can somebody help me out what to try??
The car is an E92 330d manual 6 , RHD
Appreciate 0