E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > New AA Tune (2017 updated version)

10-27-2017, 11:08 PM   #89
yupetc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 X535i

Quick update for everyone who is concerned with their transmission error using the updated tune from AA, about two weeks ago after few email exchanges and revision trials, Nic finally sent me a tune which works well and got away from those torque limit and tranny error codes. I installed the tune with that fix last weekend and took off to a 4 hour field trip to another town then back. And even after that included several short sprints running errands the problem never come back, no more limp mode. This tune is very close to the tune I initially received when they rolled out the update. Overall great experience and the car drives a lot better than the old stage 2 tune I originally bought.

Just wanted to throw this out here and award AA for their dedication and the muchly deserved creds.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 08:46 PM   #90
pinoye90
Banned
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 07-E90

Anyone else confirms this v3 tune is now finalized, safe???? Ready to buy!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 11:58 PM   #91
yupetc
Captain
Rep

I've gone back and forth with AA in past two months to get the v3 beta in. The latest they did was about a couple weeks ago addressing the torque limit error. Ever since that update the new tune does provide significant improvement and smoothness over my original v2 tune I've had for almost two years. Don't know if AA made that a final tune or not but whatever that newest tune is, it's working nicely without issues on my issue.

Now I've just bought some MILV's, I'm fingers crossed to wait for AA to roll out an update for valve angle adjustments.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 06:34 AM   #92
CobraMarty
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi e90 + e92

They are working on it. Hopefully they will have a V3 with MILVs tune soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 12:02 AM   #93
yupetc
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMarty View Post
They are working on it. Hopefully they will have a V3 with MILVs tune soon.
Can't wait!!!

With V3 tune, car pulls harder than the last v2 tune, solid acceleration. My MILV's are waiting for two things to happen before I go for the install:

1) AA tune with valve angle optimization
2) waiting on an oil leak from valve cover gasket

Kinda hard going through my day to day without thinking about installing the MILV's, though. Great work, Marty!
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2018, 12:10 AM   #94
Eric_M328i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i (Build)

Garage List
2023 BMW M340i  [9.05]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yupetc View Post
I've gone back and forth with AA in past two months to get the v3 beta in. The latest they did was about a couple weeks ago addressing the torque limit error. Ever since that update the new tune does provide significant improvement and smoothness over my original v2 tune I've had for almost two years. Don't know if AA made that a final tune or not but whatever that newest tune is, it's working nicely without issues on my issue.

Now I've just bought some MILV's, I'm fingers crossed to wait for AA to roll out an update for valve angle adjustments.
Quote:

Wait so when did V3 of the tune come out? I just recently got the tune in the beginning of December and im wondering which version I have
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 04:25 AM   #95
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_M328i View Post
Wait so when did V3 of the tune come out? I just recently got the tune in the beginning of December and im wondering which version I have
They realeased it last summer (2017). If you just got it, then you have the latest one.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 12:45 PM   #96
Eric_M328i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i (Build)

Garage List
2023 BMW M340i  [9.05]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_M328i View Post
They realeased it last summer (2017). If you just got it, then you have the latest one.
Alright thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 03:31 PM   #97
matthewjmoser
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi

Quote:
Can't wait!!!

With V3 tune, car pulls harder than the last v2 tune, solid acceleration. My MILV's are waiting for two things to happen before I go for the install:

Kinda hard going through my day to day without thinking about installing the MILV's, though. Great work, Marty!

waiting on a oil leak from the vcg LOL i died.

been on bpc tune for 35 k miles cars been driving great. car had vcg done around 43k at dealer. I just recently replaced coils and plugs around 80k.

cars at 85k now and yesterday after filling up going for a drive getting food and restarting the car. There was a misfire, which was accompanied by a horrible hi pitch noise that sounded like a train coming to a stop. the tone changed with acceleration . car wanted to stall.

i limped it home cleared the codes ( which i didn't bother looking at but i should have ) ... started it back up . and it idled perfectly.

thought the vcg went and there was a leak in the gasket causing that noise. but maybe it was the vanos sticking?

idk going to take it for a drive later. will update with codes if any occur.

love my BPC tune
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 01:48 AM   #98
pinoye90
Banned
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 07-E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewjmoser View Post
Quote:
Can't wait!!!

waiting on a oil leak from the vcg LOL i died.

been on bpc tune for 35 k miles cars been driving great. car had vcg done around 43k at dealer. I just recently replaced coils and plugs around 80k.

cars at 85k now and yesterday after filling up going for a drive getting food and restarting the car. There was a misfire, which was accompanied by a horrible hi pitch noise that sounded like a train coming to a stop. the tone changed with acceleration . car wanted to stall.

i limped it home cleared the codes ( which i didn't bother looking at but i should have ) ... started it back up . and it idled perfectly.

thought the vcg went and there was a leak in the gasket causing that noise. but maybe it was the vanos sticking?

idk going to take it for a drive later. will update with codes if any occur.

love my BPC tune
Bump?!?! Any information on this yet AA TUNE V3??? Trying to decide, New AA TUNE? Or AFE header?

I really don't want to give my money to AFE since pricing for the same headers started @1200$ and now @$-1509, lmao for the same header with no improvement or design change... that have known issues of the internals melting due to high heat, based on reviews..
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2018, 09:32 AM   #99
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoye90 View Post
Bump?!?! Any information on this yet AA TUNE V3??? Trying to decide, New AA TUNE? Or AFE header?

I really don't want to give my money to AFE since pricing for the same headers started @1200$ and now @$-1509, lmao for the same header with no improvement or design change... that have known issues of the internals melting due to high heat, based on reviews..
the infamous new AA tune is been out for a while , but for some odd reason AA does not make it official yet

I would get AA headers for half the price and go with BPC tune , it would probably be around 1500 for both anyways
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 08:02 AM   #100
tom.gnade
Apex Forged 19", AA headers, MILVs, 3IM, Euro Intake, Swift Spec-R
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i coupe

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I applied the v3 tune a few months back and started getting sporadic limp mode, usually under hard acceleration in DS mode, which is of course the whole point. Nic from AA did send me an updated file a few weeks ago and I've been running it since then. I can tell it's less aggressive than my previous tune, but I wouldn't say its a dramatic downgrade, just that the power delivery is a little less sudden - more reserved and smooth. That would appear to be an attempt to avoid a torque overflow. I was hoping the new tune would solve the issue, but unfortunately my car went limp mode on me again under hard acceleration in DS mode at about 80+mph last night. Not good. It forces me to immediately pull to the side of the highway and shut off my car. It sucks balls, and isn't safe.

I can't say for certain my car doesn't have a mechanical issue or a sensor that's actually causing the trouble, but I will ask them again to see if they have any other tricks up their sleeve. If not, I'll have to roll back to V2, which is sad because V3 is definitely better, and if there's any hope for a MILVs tune it will be based on V3, which might not be fully sorted out yet.

As an aside, I ran the car with the original BMW file for a month or so, and ugh it is terrible - really terrible - once you're used to the car running right. Honestly, the AA V3 tune in DS mode is the way this car should have been made from the factory. Even with a tune, in D mode the auto transmission tries to target the lowest RPM operating mode it can, so it rapidly upshifts even at very low speeds, and if you need to hit the gas, there is a huge delay until the ECU figures out you really mean it - I mean you have to absolutely mash the gas pedal, and then it suddenly downshifts and sortof jerks away. It's crap. My wife's Toyota Sienna drives better in D mode than this car. Hence, I almost always drive in DS mode, where the transmission targets a much more reasonable operating RPM and stays in lower gears, so if you hit the gas, the car actually responds instead of bogging down like it's stuck in the mud.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 08:49 AM   #101
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
Well, I don't mean to be a dick but BMW makes a transmission for your purposes. The 328 wasn't really designed to be a sports car, especially with the slushbox AT. If it was a DC(A)T like the 135i/335is has, that would be a different story. That said, it is a BMW, so I do understand your annoyance. I'm not hating too much I promise.

So just to be clear though, the only guys having problems with the AA tunes are AT guys, right?

I'm still leaning toward the AA tune personally because it's wayy cheaper than BPC from what I've seen. I can get AA flashed fairly local without having to buy the handheld tool, BPC is too far away for a reasonable drive there. Also I probably won't be doing MILVS with this car nor the 'backfire burble' so that isn't really a concern. Then again, maybe I'll change my mind. Who knows, I have time to decide.

Last edited by atmosphericM; 04-12-2018 at 08:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 08:59 AM   #102
tom.gnade
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I did hunt for a manual trans but finding one with low miles, in tiag, with M sport, and 19" 313 wheels? Good luck.

In any case, running in DS or just using the paddle shifters the car is pretty fun to drive, not bad at all, it definitely scoots along for a nice daily driver. I'm certain throttle response in a manual car is better, and of course a current DCT would put this transmission to shame, but then if I had a 45-50k budget, I'd be driving a low-mile DCT M2, so eh, no worries.

I'm just pointing out that I'm surprised at how bad the factory programming is, even compared to a Toyota minivan.
Appreciate 2
Noir883.00
      04-12-2018, 09:00 AM   #103
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosphericM View Post
Well, I don't mean to be a dick but BMW makes a transmission for your purposes. The 328 wasn't really designed to be a sports car, especially with the slushbox AT. If it was a DC(A)T like the 135i/335is has, that would be a different story. That said, it is a BMW, so I do understand your annoyance. I'm not hating too much I promise.

So just to be clear though, the only guys having problems with the AA tunes are AT guys, right?

I'm still leaning toward the AA tune personally because it's wayy cheaper than BPC from what I've seen. I can get AA flashed fairly local without having to buy the handheld tool, BPC is too far away for a reasonable drive there. Also I probably won't be doing MILVS with this car nor the 'backfire burble' so that isn't really a concern. Then again, maybe I'll change my mind. Who knows, I have time to decide.
No, that is not true. the limp mode is due to a torque overflow error, this happens in both MT and AT cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 09:33 AM   #104
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
No, that is not true. the limp mode is due to a torque overflow error, this happens in both MT and AT cars.
Theoretically sure but I don't think I've seen anyone with MT actually having the issue here..

Maybe I'm wrong, I'll have to check again.. later.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 09:36 AM   #105
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Heh, I feel you, Tom. I honestly lucked out with my car. Wasn't even looking at 328's, only M3's, but it won me over somehow (probably because of such low miles + warranty, mostly.. ugh! getting old and lame) I am definitely jealous of your wheels though!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 09:48 AM   #106
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:
Theoretically sure but I don't think I've seen anyone with MT actually having the issue here..

I know several people it has happened to. I even caused it on my own car once while playing with the VE and tq maps...
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2018, 10:01 AM   #107
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:

I think OP had that issue.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2018, 12:17 PM   #108
yupetc
Captain
Rep

I've had this error and dealt with it for the most part, from searching through threads in this forum, definitely both AT and MT cars could experience this issue. But if you just go back and forth with AA, they will work it out for you.

Too bad about two months ago AA was in the convo of getting a tune ready for the MILVS, not sure where'd that go, but definitely hoping to see it come alive for us AA tuned cars wanting to do MILVS.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 10:00 AM   #109
tom.gnade
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
I've had this error and dealt with it for the most part, from searching through threads in this forum, definitely both AT and MT cars could experience this issue. But if you just go back and forth with AA, they will work it out for you.

Too bad about two months ago AA was in the convo of getting a tune ready for the MILVS, not sure where'd that go, but definitely hoping to see it come alive for us AA tuned cars wanting to do MILVS.
I just got the code read at my shop with an auto logic. 2D59 torque monitor setpoint 268 nm actual value 362nm at 3808rpm. AA has been very responsive I'm sure they'll handle it. I'll update after I test any new tune file they give me. My guess is there is a maximum upper torque limit value, and a maximum value for the torque difference between the actual and target values. Hopefully it's a simple issue to fix because the v3 tune is definitely better, very smooth good solid power delivery.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 10:13 AM   #110
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It sounds like AA is nerfing the tune a bit to deal with the parameters, but I wish they would/could just change those parameters! It's sounding like these motors can make more power than BMW is comfortable with them making or something? To save the transmission? Hmm maybe the DME just doesn't like for the TQ to come on too quickly which the tunes are causing? Of course I don't know anything about these TQ parameters, but wouldn't someone that is boosted constantly trigger this limp mode? Odd indeed.
Appreciate 0