E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Caught in speed trap by airplane! Anyone experience this?

11-16-2015, 10:20 PM   #1
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi TiAg

Garage List
Caught in speed trap by airplane! Anyone experience this?

Got popped by CHP last week doing 87 in a 70. There were several of us that all got snagged at the same time. Trooper up and down the interstate!

I didn't argue or ask any questions.

Curious if anyone has had this happen to them? Does the plane track you by mile markers? Radar?

There was a helicopter floating around over the same stretch on my drive back later that morning with a cable hanging from it...just hovering over the road.....could that be the CHP?! It was blacked out and wasn't moving anything or working ....all farm land there so thought maybe it was doing some work.

Anyways....I'm lucky as I was flying for a while much faster than was I was caught doing. Lesson learned. Flame on!
      11-16-2015, 10:23 PM   #2
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

They use markers and time you. As far as I know most civilian aircraft don't have that kind of radar, but it's been around since the 60s.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 10:36 PM   #3
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
They use markers and time you. As far as I know most civilian aircraft don't have that kind of radar, but it's been around since the 60s.
I figured it was a tracking type deal with the markers. I was shocked. Really wasn't out pacing many as I5 is always fast moving left lane. Oh well....I shouldn't have been going that fast....probably would have been OK doing even 80. Felt fortunate given my higher speeds prior to getting popped!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 10:37 PM   #4
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

It's about timing. It doesnt have to be mile markers tough... you measure the time from when the car starts at one point to another. It can be telephone poles, mail boxes, anything that can give a solid visual reference with a solid reference to distance. So yes, mile markers but if telephone poles are equally 60yards apart, they can use that too.

Speed = Distance / time

The blacked out heli is most likely police. There are ton here and they are all blacked out except for the sheriff's office which is black but with yellow lettering on it.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 10:38 PM   #5
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

A ticket is a ticket so as long as you've come to terms that you were in the wrong, just forget it or fight it. No use in beating yourself up, you know?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 10:43 PM   #6
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Where I live you'd be eligible for a defensive driving which you can do once a year for ticket dismissal. Not sure how it works in California but since the whole thing is a revenue scheme I imagine the rules are similar. You pay the court some fees for the privilege, and the charge gets dismissed. The real problem with tickets is the points on your license and insurance hike, so it's very important to get rid of them if you can.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 12:33 AM   #7
JMilley
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 AW M3 6spd & 60 VW Bus

17 mph over the posted speed limit is enough to get you popped most anywhere, even I-5. I believe it when you say you were coming off of the accelerator a bit, it is easy to hit 100+ on I-5 without even trying.

That said -- odds are on your side to win this if you want to take the time and effort to fight it. Ticket Assassin has been a very valuable resource for me in the past and I don't think it should be any different for you.

Here are some links that should start you off in the right direction:
Read up and you'll see that you have a good chance at beating this. I don't want to give you false hope, it's not a slam dunk. But the odds are in your favor.

Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 01:26 AM   #8
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Would take my chances and fight it.... would think the pilot who timed u would have to show up. What are chances of that happening?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 02:03 AM   #9
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
Would take my chances and fight it.... would think the pilot who timed u would have to show up. What are chances of that happening?
Probably extremely high, and first of all it wouldn't be the pilot, it would be an observer / camera operator. Second, courts have wised up to the no show / get off long ago and now schedule traffic officers in paid blocks to accommodate a ton of people ticketed just by that one officer on a given day. I doubt you'll be able to fight the ticket, but there's always a slim possibility. The more professional the department and better funded the traffic unit, the less likely that is though.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 07:36 AM   #10
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

It happens. Only ticket I've gotten in 15 years was by plane on my afternoon commute. Sucked because that is the only way I'd ever get a ticket on that stretch of highway. I have been driving it for so long I know where to look for parked cop cars, never thought to look in the air. Same scenario as OP posted, line of highway patrol cars waiting to just pick cars off based on feedback from the plane.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 07:43 AM   #11
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

See them quite often near the border from Ontario to Quebec. Look for large yellow triangles painted on the road. They use those to time the vehicle.

Or markers like this:

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 07:43 AM   #12
fhaze3
GLG-20
Rep
Drives: 18 Ram 2500 Ltd,e30 M52 Track

Maybe they DID get you Triple Digit Sightseeing, but didn't feel like being that big of an asshole, and waited till you slowed own a bit. Still revenue for the State, but no silver bracelets for you.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 07:50 AM   #13
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

the chopper with the cable is a 'sky crane' I've seen them all over NorCal doing power line maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 08:40 AM   #14
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
See them quite often near the border from Ontario to Quebec. Look for large yellow triangles painted on the road. They use those to time the vehicle.

Or markers like this:

Yep. There are markers on the road for the cop to time your travel between two points. The markers are typically a solid line which goes across the entire width of the road to ensure they get an accurate as possible trigger to start and stop the stopwatch.

I'm actually pretty surprised by the OP being caught by an aircraft for speeding. Many jurisdictions are abandoning the use of aircraft for speed enforcement due to the cost vs "benefit" being skewed too far over to the cost side.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 09:31 AM   #15
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

radar detector wouldn't have helped you in that instance. But this might:

http://www.rdforum.org/showthread.php?t=18449
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 09:40 AM   #16
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Is this really what we are wasting tax money on these days?
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2015, 09:41 AM   #17
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Yep. There are markers on the road for the cop to time your travel between two points. The markers are typically a solid line which goes across the entire width of the road to ensure they get an accurate as possible trigger to start and stop the stopwatch.

I'm actually pretty surprised by the OP being caught by an aircraft for speeding. Many jurisdictions are abandoning the use of aircraft for speed enforcement due to the cost vs "benefit" being skewed too far over to the cost side.
Yeah. In canada it's very rare to get caught by plane. They say it's being monitored by air on the sign but 99% of the time there's nothing. You'll mostly get pulled over by undercover cops.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 09:48 AM   #18
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: (17 X5M)gone 2018M3CS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
Is this really what we are wasting tax money on these days?
what a waste of resources, money would be better spent on keeping us safe from terrorist attacks
      11-17-2015, 10:26 AM   #19
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for all the insightful replies...not a single flamer!

I did some research last night. It seems as though it was a speed trap...which are not legal technically. Both officers (ticket writer and the pilot) have to be present and the ticket writer also has to submit a declaration of signature from the pilot. I also read that the pilot's name has to be on the ticket since they were the witness. If no car was pacing me from behind there is a basis for claiming another car like mine was near me when/prior to me being pulled over.

I'm going to fight it...even though I was definitely speeding. I think using planes to set up speed traps is BS and like others said...a huge waste of tax $$.

I will report back and update for those interested in how things shake out.
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2015, 10:33 AM   #20
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

FL does this as well. Two seater, single engine planes causing the interstate timing how long it takes you to get from one white line to another. Busted. Seems to be more prominent towards the GA border though.

They even put a sign up on I75 just south of the GA border saying speed controlled by detecting devices and shows a picture of an airplane.
      11-17-2015, 10:37 AM   #21
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

It's by mile markers and timing with the CHP. Have several friends who have got the same tickets towing boats out to the river in Socal years back, usually the ticket has 2 notations where the officer signs one being the pilot. Was it a fairly desolate area as they use that to cover large enforcement areas like the I 10 and I 40 heading to AZ from Socal, you see the planes glimmering in the distance when driving into the sun and basically slow down to avoid it. Only know from experience what to look for and where on those routes and yes there are signs on the roadway to avoid the trap logic. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 10:37 AM   #22
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stashtrey View Post
Thanks for all the insightful replies...not a single flamer!

I did some research last night. It seems as though it was a speed trap...which are not legal technically. Both officers (ticket writer and the pilot) have to be present and the ticket writer also has to submit a declaration of signature from the pilot. I also read that the pilot's name has to be on the ticket since they were the witness. If no car was pacing me from behind there is a basis for claiming another car like mine was near me when/prior to me being pulled over.

I'm going to fight it...even though I was definitely speeding. I think using planes to set up speed traps is BS and like others said...a huge waste of tax $$.

I will report back and update for those interested in how things shake out.
I think fighting it will only be another waste of money. It's your word against theirs and you'll be lying. Maybe set a court date, then reschedule it as many times as you're allowed. Then go in and plea no contest. Best case is the officer doesn't show up and it gets dismissed. Worst case is that you'll have to pay the fine and court costs, but you'll likely get some traffic school or get it bumped down to something with no points on the license. In FL that's a 4 point violation which stays there for 3 years.

Good luck.